Another good question from the Jetsmail bag and good answer

AL047

https://nypost.com/2020/07/30/jets-mailbag-the-burning-trevor-lawrence-speculation/

With Jamal Adams traded, shouldn’t the Jets look to extend Marcus Maye? And do you see them signing Logan Ryan, [Jadeveon] Clowney or swinging a trade for Yannick Ngakoue? — Brad Mac

It’s a great point on Maye, Brad. I think the Jets would explore an extension with Maye, who had a strong 2019 season. He is not going to cost nearly as much as Adams and has shown he can be a solid player on defense.

The goal for the Jets is to draft, develop and sign their own players. Douglas wants to get out of the vicious cycle the Jets have been in of overspending in free agency. Maye is the type of player he can start doing that with. Depending on what Maye is asking for, maybe a deal gets done during this season. He is scheduled to hit free agency in March.

I don’t see them signing one of the big free agents or making a big trade. I think they would like to carry over as much salary-cap space into 2021 as they can. They have about $20 million right now.

When did Jamal start looking to be traded? Was is it before or after “Joe took that trading deadline phone call”? You should do a timeline on this saga to show if Jamal was lying from the beginning. — Barry Ader

I think this is part of GM Joe Douglas plan is to draft and develop their own players. In the past the Jets have signed a lot of big time free agents and trade for big time players and non paid off at all. Its time the Jets take a different approach and develop their own players through the draft. They fail in the past and it's time for them to try something new that they haven't done before.

This team doesn't need a player for one year and it won't take one year to fix. The Jets have done it before and it didn't get them anywhere!!!

• Sympathy 1

i agree on the salary cap space. losing adams isn't going to impact the defense as much as adams thinks it would.  imo the jets are looking for qwill to show a heck of a lot more and counting on williamson and mosley to replace adams sack production.  not to mention jenkins has been pretty steady.  right now there doesn't appear to be much need to add additional players to the defense.  offense?  it kind of hinges on how well becton does and how quickly mims can get into the starting rotation.  if these guys are good right out of the box then we can expect some very good things.  first time in nearly a decade.