Jets team report 2-24 (Sporting News)

The Fat Man

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/teams/jets/index.html

Jets Team Report

2/24/2006

By Rich Cimini

New York Daily News

CAP SPACE: The Jets, who have to clear about $25 million to get under the projected cap, won't spend big. New coach Eric Mangini will try to do it the Patriot way: Find value at low prices. Easier said than done.

MOVING ON: The team already has released several players, including RT Jason Fabini and FB Jerald Sowell, and it didn't exercise the option on CB Ty Law. QB Chad Pennington, LG Pete Kendall and C Kevin Mawae are other potential cap casualties. RE John Abraham again was given the franchise tag, but the Jets will look to trade him for a high draft pick or perhaps a veteran quarterback--such as Patrick Ramsey, Matt Schaub or Billy Volek--because the free-agent quarterback pool is shallow and they don't have cap space to throw big money at Drew Brees.

TARGETS: Considering there aren't obvious replacements on the roster for the cap casualties, the team will try to fill the holes with moderately priced free agents. Mangini could tap into the Patriots' pipeline to help the offensive line through a transition stage by looking at OT Tom Ashworth and G Stephen Neal. The club could reunite FB Lorenzo Neal and new coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, who were together with the Chargers. The Jets could use a true thumper like Neal. If they lose TE Chris Baker, Christian Fauria, another Patriots player, could be a cheap replacement. If a 3-4 defense is installed, the Ravens' Maake Kemoeatu could be the ideal plugger at nose tackle.

I'd love everyone of the players mentioned on this team.

Yep, all very good players and I think its clearly the Jets' best option. Mid level/affordable talent. I'd love Lorenzo Neal to come back to NY, he's the best in the league at what he does.

Yep, all very good players and I think its clearly the Jets' best option. Mid level/affordable talent. I'd love Lorenzo Neal to come back to NY, he's the best in the league at what he does.

I like Neal also, but the problem is, he's going on 36 years old and I doubt the Jets will go after an aging back like that...not this staff's MO according to their plan of going faster, younger.

My preference would be MATT SCHAUB for JA. We have a young FB who can block very well on the PS. ( Luke Lawton) IMo we should stay with the youth movement and not go after older players. Why screw up the cap and roster space with guys who won't be here when we do turn the corner and become ultra=competetive? I do like ASHWORTH and the OG- Neal.

Archived