2021 Edge Defenders preview

maury77

This is why that I can’t buy into the “take offensive players only” takes. Which one of these guys is going to be available at 33? If you get to 25(ish) and you’re left with just Ossai and Oweh left of the stud edge rushers, can you miss out on them for an IOL or a second tier WR. 

• Upvote 1

Not that the Jets *need* to take an edge prospect, but this is the position that I’d be okay skipping on offense to take if there’s a guy they love. Build the offense and pass rush concurrently right now. Put up points and knock down quarterbacks.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

This is why that I can’t buy into the “take offensive players only” takes. Which one of these guys is going to be available at 33? If you get to 25(ish) and you’re left with just Ossai and Oweh left of the stud edge rushers, can you miss out on them for an IOL or a second tier WR. 

I don't see how the Jets can't take an edge. Edge rusher is arguably the second most important position on the field and the Jets have arguably the worst pair of starting edge rushers in the league. That's why although they have strong IDL, they are near the bottom of the league in most pass rush statistics. 

I really want them to go yolo offense but realistically that's not happening.  That said, I think it's easier to spend sure money on offense than D.  So I wouldnt mind if the majority of FA money was spent on offense and we had a balanced draft.  A BAP draft would probably good for the Jets in the long term structure of the team.

In regards to pass rushers, I'm a firm believer in the testing portion for this particular position, so I will hold my thoughts for a while on the edge prospects but in general, seems like a pretty weak class of edge rushers.  Rosseau is the talk of the class and with him opting out all you have is a 1 year wonder.  Watched a bit of Pitts vs. Clemson, those 2 pass rushers looked interesting on Pitts Weaver and Jones.

• Sympathy 1

34 minutes ago, JiF said:

I really want them to go yolo offense but realistically that's not happening.  That said, I think it's easier to spend sure money on offense than D.  So I wouldnt mind if the majority of FA money was spent on offense and we had a balanced draft.  A BAP draft would probably good for the Jets in the long term structure of the team.

In regards to pass rushers, I'm a firm believer in the testing portion for this particular position, so I will hold my thoughts for a while on the edge prospects but in general, seems like a pretty weak class of edge rushers.  Rosseau is the talk of the class and with him opting out all you have is a 1 year wonder.  Watched a bit of Pitts vs. Clemson, those 2 pass rushers looked interesting on Pitts Weaver and Jones.

100% EDGE players will rise and fall based on their testing 

I’m a big Jones fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

I’m a big Jones fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love Weaver because he just seems to be a natural at rushing the passer. I don’t know if he’s the total package and he might not test great but I just like to watch him do the pass rushing.

• Upvote 1

Just now, maury77 said:

PFF loves Weaver

I caught the Clemson game so I decided to check out highlight reels and stuff on YouTube. When he gets to just do the pass rush thing it just flows out of him but I don’t know if it’ll translate without plus athleticism. He’s almost tweener sized with average looking athleticism, but he looked nice against Clemson.

• Upvote 1