John. Franklin. Myers.

https://www.nj.com/jets/2021/10/jets-john-franklin-myers-overcome-with-emotion-in-london-day-after-signing-contract-extension.html

Jets’ John Franklin-Myers overcome with emotion in London day after signing contract extension
Updated: Oct. 08, 2021, 9:38 p.m. | Published: Oct. 08, 2021, 9:24 p.m. 

Jets defensive lineman John Franklin-Myers is overcome with emotion at the podium after Friday's practice at the Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel and Country Club in Ware, Hertfordshire

By Joey Chandler | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
WARE, HERTFORDSHIRE — Within seconds of reaching the podium, Jets defensive lineman John Franklin-Myers flashed his signature smile to a group of international reporters after Friday’s practice at the Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel and Country Club. Before he was done answering questions, he also shed some tears.

The past 24 hours have been a whirlwind for Franklin-Myers. He signed a four-year contract extension worth $55 million with the Jets on Thursday before boarding the team charter to London. When asked whom he called first to share the news, his emotions bubbled to the surface all at once in a different time zone far away from home.

“My son. I wish that he was there when I signed it but it just happened so fast,” Franklin-Myers said. “You don’t know how fast those talks go and then we wanted to get it done before heading to London so we didn’t get a chance, but I just wanted to talk him.”

Franklin-Myers choked up as he continued. “I play football...” he said before he could no longer speak. He then collected himself enough to blurt out: “I play football for him.” More tears came. He looked down at the podium once again and let his feelings wash over him: “I just want to give him every opportunity...” He couldn’t bring himself to say another word.

His honesty and raw emotion won over new Jets fans from across the pond. In a touching moment, Franklin-Myers walked off the stage to a round of applause from the British media.

“He has done nothing but work, work, work,” Jets coach Robert Saleh said. “He’s been a tremendous leader and then you see his play on the football field. He’s absolutely dominant at times.”

Originally a waiver claim from the Rams in 2019, Franklin-Myers has played in 19 games for the Jets. He’s recorded three sacks in four games this season. In three seasons, he has a total of eight career sacks, six with the Jets.

“I have full confidence in myself and I just asked for an opportunity and each opportunity I took advantage of,” Franklin-Myers said. “The Jets giving me the opportunity, I am eternally grateful for that and I owe them. This is the beginning of hopefully a great career and just continue to be dominant and help this team win games.”

• Upvote 1