Redskins make 5 cuts to get under the cap

faba

Redskins cut five, re-sign Cartwright817-grey.gifstories;arena=nfl;feat=stories;type=psa;team=WAS;user=Anonymous;cust=no;vip=no;sz=150x30;tile=5;ord=954311142043677?

NFL.com wire reports WASHINGTON (March 10, 2006) -- The Washington Redskins cut five players and re-signed running back Rock Cartwright.

Punter Tom Tupa, safety Matt Bowen, cornerback Walt Harris, defensive tackle Brandon Noble and center Cory Raymer were released as the team met the midnight deadline to get under the NFL's new $102 million salary cap.

All the cuts were expected. Tupa, Noble and Harris have been beset by injuries, while Bowen and Raymer have lost their starting jobs over the last two years.

The Redskins also saved money earlier this week in the deal that made linebacker LaVar Arrington a free agent, and have reworked contracts of some returning veterans.

That leaves enough money for the Redskins to be active when free agency begins March 11. The team will be shopping for a receiver, linebacker, defensive back and backup quarterback.

There was also enough money to re-sign versatile backup Cartwright to a four-deal contract. Cartwright's 22 special-teams tackles ranked third on the team last year, and he ran for a career-high 118 yards against St. Louis when second-team back Ladell Betts was hurt.

I love Matt Bowen. If we didn't have 4 quality young safety's then I'd love to bring him in here but I really like Coleman, Rhodes, Maddox and Washington....I think we'll see a lot from Maddox this year since he got hurt last year in the Preseason and we didn't see much but this kid does have talent.

Archived