Eric Mangini Quotes From The Combine

YJF

I am rehashing this for a reason. If you pay attention to these quotes from Eric. It will give you a better understanding of where The Jets are headed in free agency and the draft and what type of team, The Jets are looking to put together. There are important quotes here that give you key clues about the new regime's direction.

This interview was conducted on NFL Network by Rich Eisen and former Browns head coach Butch Davis. I am going to cut through all the fat and get to the meat of this interview.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Rich Eisen: You have alot of issues to deal with as a new head coach, putting together a staff and assembling a roster. How daunting is this task in your mind?

Eric Mangini: I think it's been a great challenge and it's going to continue to be a great challenge. I look forward to it. Everyday, I go to work excited. We have a good plan. "We have a systematic approach to getting to where we want to get to". I am lucky to be working with Mike(Tannenbaum) and we have a ton of quality people in the organization.

Rich Eisen: When you say systematic approach...Is it something written down or is something that you've come together and discussed.

Eric Mangini: It's ideas that Mike and I share and a vision that we share and we are commited to that vision. It's one based on our experiences and people we have dealt with and what we have learned from our mentors.

Butch Davis: As you get ready for the combine and free agency, What's the major thing that you stress with your staff and what type of players are you looking for as you put your stamp on The New York Jets?

Eric Mangini: The main thing that I want to find is, I want to find guys that love football. Football is the main priority to them. I want to find guys who are competitive and smart and that can give us flexibility.

Butch Davis: Are you going to play The 4-3 or 3-4 predominately on defense?

Eric Mangini: One of the things that we are commited to is we are going to play whatever gives us the best chance to win. So similar to the system, I just came from. Whether it's 3-4, 4-3, over or under. I want guys that are going to be flexible enough to go in and out of those things week to week based on our opponent.

------------------------------------------------------------------

That last quote tells you why Kimo Von Oelhoffen and Matt Chatham are New York Jets.

Awesome. I seen that interview on the NFL network myself. I also heard somebody on Sirius radio say the NY Jets gave the most difficult interviews this off season. That they are asking everything under the sun to find out how much these guys know about the game. The guy even said "I guess they don't care how you play on the field,they wanna know how football smart you are"

Which is a huge in my book. Unless we bring in a bunch of smart practice squad players,lol.

The guy has earned his paycheck already. This is also why I believe D'brickashaw Ferguson will be a NY jet if he is there @ 4. He was the most professional and intelligent kid at the combine. Even went to all his meetings in a business suit. Im sure Mangini & Co. loved that.

I remember for years, listening to George Young and Bill Parcells talk about the types of players they sought out.

Big, physical, hungry.

It all comes from the same tree. Parcells, BB, Mangini.

The Giants players, in terms of intelligence, were never the smartest, textbook wise, but on the field, their football IQ was tremendous. I immediately think of guys like Leonard Marshall, Carl Banks, Mark Collins, mark Bavaro, Jumbo Elliott, LT.

Parcells, in his interviews, always wanted to know which was the most important thing in the guy's life, and if he didn't say football, he was passed over.

Awesome. I seen that interview on the NFL network myself. I also heard somebody on Sirius radio say the NY Jets gave the most difficult interviews this off season. That they are asking everything under the sun to find out how much these guys know about the game. The guy even said "I guess they don't care how you play on the field,they wanna know how football smart you are"

Which is a huge in my book. Unless we bring in a bunch of smart practice squad players,lol.

The guy has earned his paycheck already. This is also why I believe D'brickashaw Ferguson will be a NY jet if he is there @ 4. He was the most professional and intelligent kid at the combine. Even went to all his meetings in a business suit. Im sure Mangini & Co. loved that.

agree,,

no turds allowed

From what I hear I think that is the reason they signed Kemo

as he is just that type of player they are talking about.

No where in the interview did he say he was looking for players

that were 21 years old. So what if he is 35.

I read on another board some yutz who was predicting SB before

the ink was dry on Mangini's contract is blasting him because of

the Kemo signing. And we didn't even play a down yet.

From what I hear I think that is the reason they signed Kemo

as he is just that type of player they are talking about.

No where in the interview did he say he was looking for players

that were 21 years old. So what if he is 35.

I read on another board some yutz who was predicting SB before

the ink was dry on Mangini's contract is blasting him because of

the Kemo signing. And we didn't even play a down yet.

are his initial H.A.M

Archived