At this point last year ..

The Jets were coming off an exciting draft but didn’t really have anyone PROVEN who would scare you.

We know what happened next with the emergence of Q, AVT & Reed AND the introduction of Sauce, Garrett & Breece … which IMO made us the favorite to land a highly motivated Rodgers who had a lot of control over his landing spot.  

Yes- our season effectively ended when we lost AVT & Breece at Denver, no longer able to overcome the glaring weakness at QB.

So my question is when we look back a year from now, will we be fortunate enough to have another batch?

Who makes your cut?  Why?

1. Jermaine Johnson (24 years old)

2. Bryce Huff (25)

3. Jeremy Ruckert (23)

4. Will McDonald (24)

5. Mekhi Becton (24)

6. Micheal Clemons (25)

7. Joe Tippmann (22)

8. Michael Carter II (24)

9. JFM (26)

--- No Danger

McDonald Obviously ... lets hope he was not an epic reach.

Tippman will be at center for the next  5 years minimum.

Jermain Johnson ... i don't see superstar... but i do see solid depth.

Clemons ... fan favorite that can get even better ... this guys scares people.

JFM - Locked in for 3 more years.

--- Possibly Danger

Ruckert .. needs to show something this year.

Huff -- Great talent hope his is not trade bait ... read somewhere that his win rate was tops in the league. To be clear ... danger is not the right term ... its just he might be traded for value.

-- Epic Danger

MC2 - probably gone soon

Becton ... last chance saloon for this guy .. I have chosen to believe

Edited by Dunnie
  • Upvote 2

Huff and McDonald are more or less competing with each other. Huff is in a contract year as far as I can tell and if he has a great year will be a trade candidate for sure if McDonald doesn’t poop the bed. That will be interesting to monitor. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

40 minutes ago, Larz said:

Huff and McDonald are more or less competing with each other. Huff is in a contract year as far as I can tell and if he has a great year will be a trade candidate for sure if McDonald doesn’t poop the bed. That will be interesting to monitor. 

It depends.  Huff predominately played left edge last year .. behind JJ and JFM, who might need to slide inside more often to free up the others for more opportunities.

I imagine the Jets playing McDonald on the right side .. AKA most QBs’ blind spot to create turnovers.  He’s got the bend and long arms to do so, and was very successful in college causing fumbles.

Carl Lawson might be the one departing next year, allowing McDonald and Clemons (in the base) to man the right side.  Clemons slides inside during pass rushing situations just like JFM did last year on the left side.

The key will be whether Huff can maintain his pass rate efficiency at a higher snap count that might come with more leads.  And if he can improve his sack rate efficiency.  If he gets to 10 sacks and JJ doesn’t become a pass rusher, it would be foolish for the Jets to let him walk.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

The Jets were coming off an exciting draft but didn’t really have anyone PROVEN who would scare you.

We know what happened next with the emergence of Q, AVT & Reed AND the introduction of Sauce, Garrett & Breece … which IMO made us the favorite to land a highly motivated Rodgers who had a lot of control over his landing spot.  

Yes- our season effectively ended when we lost AVT & Breece at Denver, no longer able to overcome the glaring weakness at QB.

So my question is when we look back a year from now, will we be fortunate enough to have another batch?

Who makes your cut?  Why?

1. Jermaine Johnson (24 years old)

2. Bryce Huff (25)

3. Jeremy Ruckert (23)

4. Will McDonald (24)

5. Mekhi Becton (24)

6. Micheal Clemons (25)

7. Joe Tippmann (22)

8. Michael Carter II (24)

9. JFM (26)

My 3 are Ruckert, McDonald and Tippmann.

Ruckert becomes a monster blocker and catches 40 passes and 6 TDs.

McDonald harasses QBs from the blind spot and gets 8 sacks and 3 FFs.

Tippmann starts slow but becomes an anchor by the end of the season.  Huge upgrade from McGovern.

• Upvote 3

I look at that list and think of two things :

1) That list is a far cry from what we were looking at talent-wise in 2020.

2) To answer the question, I don't think any of those players, (barring injury) , is in any danger, including Becton. He has shown that, when healthy , he was pretty good. I think this is a big comeback year for him. I think the pass rushers will be the calling card of this defense this year. The rotations are going to wear down O-lines early and often and make it very hard to go 4 quarters with them. Saleh can choose the type of rusher for any situation. Joe Tippman along with AVT ,will be this decades version if Mangold and Brick. Ruckert was just a baby last year. He was able to red-shirt and adjust to the speed of the game. I expect a very nice year from him. Michael Carter will benefit from the QB pressure playing the slot.

I know it sounds very un-Jetsy, but I really feel that this year is going to be different. After all the years of looking foolish and unprepared ,I finally think this is a year that we start making teams look unprepared for us.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1