Jets 2024 OLine

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Yeah.  I can kind of see this.  It isn't so much that I want to keep all those guys, but I don't think it is wise to plan on redoing the entire offensive line.  I am not sure about tagging Becton.  Generally I am against, but I'd make him an offer that would have to take a solid comp pick to beat.  I like Mitchell and expect him to see the field, but he is the kind of guy that you bring in competition for and make him beat them out.  I don't like getting ro the draft thinking I need to find a starter at some position which means at least a Fant/Turner/Kelly level guy to compete with Mitchell.  Preferably considerably better than the last two.

Yeah that's the problem is we probably won't be picking high enough to guarantee this or that specific OT prospect. 

I think we can do better than Turner to compete with Mitchell, if only because these days with a 17-game regular season that competition has to be relied upon to start at worst a handful of games, making him more than just camp fodder. Anyway the above two reasons are why I think the guy we hope becomes the OT3 is has to be competent enough to be penciled in as the starter heading into the draft, and don't think Turner qualifies. 

Fant would be a good choice, since he can credibly start a whole season on either side and is plenty cheap. But I've felt for some time that it's at least somewhat personal for him when Douglas made him no new contract offer while his value was at its highest, only to see Douglas made the right move when Fant's stock (and therefore dollars-command) plummeted already by week 2 of the '22 season & never recovered. 

Fans would hate it, but I wouldn't discount the possibility of them bringing back Duane Brown in that reserve/penciled-in role after more or less getting this whole season to rehab, at a much lower dollar amount. He'll turn 39 just before week 1, and had injuries two seasons in a row, so yeah no shortage of red flags. I'd feel better about that if we saw him in live action for at least 1 game this year, to see if his problem is also tired old legs/feet not just some nagging injury that healed slowly following surgery. We'll see; he may yet just retire. 

13 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah that's the problem is we probably won't be picking high enough to guarantee this or that specific OT prospect. 

I think we can do better than Turner to compete with Mitchell, if only because these days with a 17-game regular season that competition has to be relied upon to start at worst a handful of games, making him more than just camp fodder. Anyway the above two reasons are why I think the guy we hope becomes the OT3 is has to be competent enough to be penciled in as the starter heading into the draft, and don't think Turner qualifies. 

Fant would be a good choice, since he can credibly start a whole season on either side and is plenty cheap. But I've felt for some time that it's at least somewhat personal for him when Douglas made him no new contract offer while his value was at its highest, only to see Douglas made the right move when Fant's stock (and therefore dollars-command) plummeted already by week 2 of the '22 season & never recovered. 

Fans would hate it, but I wouldn't discount the possibility of them bringing back Duane Brown in that reserve/penciled-in role after more or less getting this whole season to rehab, at a much lower dollar amount. He'll turn 39 just before week 1, and had injuries two seasons in a row, so yeah no shortage of red flags. I'd feel better about that if we saw him in live action for at least 1 game this year, to see if his problem is also tired old legs/feet not just some nagging injury that healed slowly following surgery. We'll see; he may yet just retire. 

Let me explain.  When I said Kelly/Turner type, I was referring to a player with that level of previous starting experience or better.  Turner has been a massive flop here, so I would not want him back.  We have not seen Kelly or Saffold yet.  I just meant a guy with at least some prior starting experience rather than adding a bunch of Yodny Cajuste and Greg Senat level guys.

Speaking of old tackles still kicking around Kelvin Beachum is still starting for the Cardinals.  Another guy that probably doesn't hold Douglas in the highest regard.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

c) the Jets have been very unlucky with the number of injuries they've had on the o-line the last 2 seasons. 

This season we've seen snaps from our 4th string C, G & T. No team is prepared to deal with that. It's just a sh*t situation.

You didn't answer the question. How has he "neglected" the o-line? He has poured a ton of resources into it. Is he supposed to draft a T in the first round every year? 

Bruh...every good GM runs 12 deep at every spot on the OL.  Joe D. is the only one who can't pull this off.