New York Mets 2024 Thread (LFGM)

Scott Dierking

On 10/2/2024 at 11:53 PM, Lith said:

Nope. Could not make it up there. I am flying out to London in the AM. Which is probably a good thing. Mets tend to win when I can’t watch them.

Had concert tickets for twenty one pilots yesterday. Listened to the game on the radio driving to Chicago. W.

Watched tonight’s game. L.

Watched the start of game 1 against Atlanta. Down 3-0.

Had to jump on a conference call for work. Up 6-3.

Flip the game on after the call. Down 7-6.

Take my daughter to work. Lindor HR. W.

Watch game 2 on Monday. L.

It is a good thing I will be on a plane somewhere over the Atlantic tomorrow during the game.

Thanks for staying away from Milwaukee!!

13 hours ago, Paradis said:

What's also been fun is poking Larry/Lith here on the daily in the chat, so he can give me the jaded fan take on this stuff haha. He talked me down after I wanted to fire every Met in a jersey throughout May

It has not been easy being a Met/Jet fan for 50+ years.  But at least with the Mets, I got to witness a Championship as an adult.  I also got to see them clinch a pennant at Wrigley FIeld in 2015.  Jets have not given me moments like that.  Hopefully someday, but not since I was 7 years old and I was still too young to appreciate it.

But you picked a great season to start following the Mets.  This one has been so much fun.  Seeing a team that seemed to be in the discussion for the title of worst team in baseball that does not play on the South Side of Chicago, to suddenly play great ball over the last 4 months.   No matter what happens the rest of the way, its been a blast, but still, I want to win this thing.  Why not us?

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Lith said:

But you picked a great season to start following the Mets.  This one has been so much fun.  Seeing a team that seemed to be in the discussion for the title of worst team in baseball that does not play on the South Side of Chicago, to suddenly play great ball over the last 4 months.   No matter what happens the rest of the way, its been a blast, but still, I want to win this thing.  Why not us?

It is amazing that when you look at this roster, top to bottom, there is one top 20 player (FL) one former top 20 (but now around 75 in PA) one top 100 in Nimmo, and you wonder how they made the playoffs. 

The additions of Alvarez, Vientos & Iglesias have been key in providing some quality at bats at key positions. The late season return of Marte has been huge these past 3 weeks. Bader/Taylor defense in CF has been big as well.

Put it all in a pot, add some very good coaching and a rag-tag, patchwork pitching staff that has come into its own since late June, and we have a gutsy, never give up playoff team!

• Upvote 1

One last point before Game 1:

If I were the Mets players, and I’ve been playing “lose and your out” games for nearly 2 weeks, having Kodai coming back and wanting the ball Game 1, would fire me up.

It would give me that extra confidence when facing a pitcher like Wheeler and a deep Phillies lineup. It would give me great joy to crush Harper’s dream of getting a championship! Every inning the Mets are in the game, the Mets gain confidence and the pressure on the Phillies grows.

All the pressure is on the division champs!