August 6th camp tweets

18 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

Numberwise, his hits do outweigh his misses, it's just that his misses are colossal misses.

No, I wouldn't say that he has fixed the OL situation at all.  I like Schweitzer, but he isn't as good as he was a few years ago.  For 1-2 games he's fine, but not for much more than that.  For sure, the OL is the best it's been during his time here, and I feel much more confident in it than I have in the past, but I'm not sure that it's even fixed for this season. Perish the thought, but if Moses went down for the season in the season opener, would you feel confident in either Warren or Mitchell at RT for the whole season?  I sure wouldn't. 

If they have injuries like they have the last 2-3 seasons, then no, it isn't fixed.  Smith is already having tightness.  I'm confident that Fashanu will play pretty well when Smith does have to miss, but how well will Simpson play?  Will Tippman continue to have issues with shotgun snaps?  Will AVT stay healthy?  Will Moses stay healthy?  Will they  play well together as a unit?  Even if they play really well this season, Smith most likely will not be back.  Moses probably won't be back either due to all the FAs the Jets will have for next season, including quite a few starters and key backups, and the core players (Breece, Sauce, G. Wilson, JJ, and MC II) needing to be paid.

So assuming that Fashanu and Tippman will be very good, there are still question marks on AVT and Simpson, and RT for next season.  Hopefully, one of Warren and Mitchell will improve and show that they can handle RT going forward, but they will need to draft an IOL or two next season unless one or two of Hanson, Glaser, Newman, Levao,  and/or Latham show they can be quality depth.  Only when we have 5 quality OL who play well together as a unit, and have 5 solid backups will I say that the OL has been fixed.

I understand that a team can't have great depth at every position, but one of the first things JD said upon being hired was that the OL would be a top priority, and it really hasn't been.  As a result, the offense has struggled, and Rodgers went down with injury last season.  He's had some tough luck with injuries with Clarke, who I think could have developed into at least quality depth, if not a solid starter, other injuries, and surprisingly bad play with Tomlinson, but he has also often gone cheap in FA on the OL with guys like Feeney.  I know that he has tried to sign a couple of expensive quality OL before and they didn't want to sign with the Jets.  I can't blame him for that, but I think he could have done more in the draft.  This year's draft was a prime example.  There were quite a few good C/OG prospects in the draft who would have been good fits in the Jets' scheme.  He had opportunities to draft one of them and passed.  He also had opportunities  to draft good OL prospects last year and passed. 

I like AVT, but imo one doesn't draft an OG in the 1st round, much less trade up for him.  Trading up for him and passing on Darrisaw was a mistake.  In trading up for an OG, he burned two 3rd round picks (#66 and #86) that could have been used to address the IOL.  There were good OL prospects available in the range of those picks (Jalen Mayfield, Brady Christensen, Kendrick Green, Robert Hainsey, and Ben Cleveland), or he could have possibly traded up a little in the 3rd round and taken Creed Humphrey.

He's done a great job with the D, but much less so with the offense.

I would be OK with Olu at RT if Moses went down in the 1st game.

He missed on a QB, but got another one who is pretty good.

He missed on Becton, and signed the 2nd best OT in the game.

He missed on Denzel and Moore and drafted Garrett and signed Mike Williams.

Each and every year the roster got better. He will retain some of the players already on the roster and let some go. The FO will try to find the Huff/Quincy Williams of the world. They will try to find players that will change the persona of this team, whether if they are elite athletes or smack you in the mouth type offensive weapons.

Missing on picks/Free Agents happens to every GM, its what you do next that defines you.

5 hours ago, Claymation said:

I would be OK with Olu at RT if Moses went down in the 1st game.

He missed on a QB, but got another one who is pretty good.

He missed on Becton, and signed the 2nd best OT in the game.

He missed on Denzel and Moore and drafted Garrett and signed Mike Williams.

Each and every year the roster got better. He will retain some of the players already on the roster and let some go. The FO will try to find the Huff/Quincy Williams of the world. They will try to find players that will change the persona of this team, whether if they are elite athletes or smack you in the mouth type offensive weapons.

Missing on picks/Free Agents happens to every GM, its what you do next that defines you.

I agree that every GM misses on draft picks and FAs.  Generally, the best don't make colossal mistakes, however.  They have maybe 1 or 2 big miscues during their careers, but JD has made perhaps more than his share in just 5 years.

The roster couldn't get any worse than it was when JD took over.  To his credit, he has added a lot of great talent.  That said, Williams,  Smith, Reed, Clark, and Moses probably won't be on the team next season.  Rodgers may not be.  Mosely may not be.  Ashtyn Davis, MC II, Sherwood, Conklin, Surrat and quite a few others may not be on the team next year.  I think AVT was the 1st player that JD drafted that got a 2nd contract. 

Breece and  Wilson have already shown some frustration with the losing.  If things go south this season, they may want to be traded or say they want sign a second contract with the Jets.

How he handles the rest of this season, and next offseason will determine whether he should stay or go.

On 8/6/2024 at 11:30 AM, Jet_Engine1 said:

Thanks for reminding me...

Steve Atwater

Ronnie Lott

Art Monk

Jason Taylor (ew)

seem like the lowlights of that trend. Those dudes may have been HOF'ers, but were just flat-out OLD GUYS looking to grab a final paycheck from the Jets on the way out...

Leonard Marshall 🤮