Should the Jets give Yannick Ngakoue a call?

ARodJetsFan

One area this staff has been excellent in is developing defensive talent.
A couple of scenarios I could see them doing are:

- Re-signing Carl Lawson for his strength and edge run defense

- Flipping Solomon Thomas to DE and elevating Leonard Taylor to the active roster.
  That would increase our size at DE and Taylor flashed excellent penetration from
  the DT spot in the pre-season

Finally will Reddick come to his senses and collect his 800K game checks?  We'll see

I don't think Ngakoue is the answer.  He is undersized.  Johnson got sacks, but IMO they were mostly on motor.  It was his ability to get them and set the edge we will miss.  I think McDonald and even McGregor are probably better pure pass rushers.  Ngakoue blows against the run.  I think PFF had him in 20s.  I don't know what their chart rates that as.  I think they list it as atrocious. 

He should be recovered because he was working out for teams before camp.  With the Dolphins super short handed they had him and Ogbah in and went with Ogbah.  Oghah had been there the last 4 seasons, but the DC Weaver was Dline coach for Baltimore when they gave Ngakoue the big deal.  Ngakoue made $10M last year so might have too high an opinion of himself.  These guys should know him pretty well from Jacksonville and they never had him in even though he's been on the street plenty.  If you remember, he had 17 sacks in Jacksonville and they still didn't think very highly of him.   These are the guys that didn't think highly of him.

I think they are going to continue to wait out Reddick.  I think they are more concerned with run D than pass rush, so we will more of Clemons.  I think Holmes will play and play more DE.  I think Watts will probably be active because he is bigger and should hold up better against the run than McGregor.  Maybe, as some posters have suggested, they will flip Thomas outside some.  The DT rotation is also a little light, so maybe then they'd bring up Taylor or maybe Hector who is less interesting but probably more reliable.

FWIW, I don't think that Lawson left here on bad terms.  There was some talk at last year's of trading him and that the team did him a favor by keeping him instead of sending him somewhere he didn't want to go for a conditional pick.  I don't recall reading a bad word from him about the franchise.  Probably the best scrap heap pickup we could get reasonably.  Signing one of these trash heap guys would be a nice FU to Reddick.  It will be interesting to see who they have in tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, KRL said:

One area this staff has been excellent in is developing defensive talent.
A couple of scenarios I could see them doing are:

- Re-signing Carl Lawson for his strength and edge run defense

- Flipping Solomon Thomas to DE and elevating Leonard Taylor to the active roster.
  That would increase our size at DE and Taylor flashed excellent penetration from
  the DT spot in the pre-season

Finally will Reddick come to his senses and collect his 800K game checks?  We'll see

@KRL

I don't consider Reddick a viable solution.

I don't believe he'll ever play a snap for us in a Jets uniform. 

Carl Lawson - I don't believe he would sign here & even if he would, I don't know that he'd be much of a help.

Flipping Solomon Thomas to DE and elevating Leonard Taylor III to the active roster.

This is probably the most realistic solution.

Personally, I'd like to see Solomon Thomas get extended for a couple of seasons.

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

FWIW, I don't think that Lawson left here on bad terms.  There was some talk at last year's of trading him and that the team did him a favor by keeping him instead of sending him somewhere he didn't want to go for a conditional pick.  I don't recall reading a bad word from him about the franchise.  Probably the best scrap heap pickup we could get reasonably.  Signing one of these trash heap guys would be a nice FU to Reddick.  It will be interesting to see who they have in tomorrow. 

The biggest knock - other than missing all last season without being on IR - is that Dallas saw him in camp for like a week and then cut him. Some of that may be they didn't want to guarantee his full year, but they had him signed for the vet minimum. He's on their practice squad now (as is Dalvin Cook)

He can be poached, but then I think they have to then keep him on the active 53-man roster for the first 3 weeks after poaching him. 

Still, them stashing him on the practice squad is better than them thinking he was unworthy of even that. Also Dallas was allegedly teetering on activating him themselves due to a knee injury to their 2nd round pick Kneeland, but the rookie ended up playing. 

Could also be they're keeping him on the PS instead of active roster because they feel he doesn't bring any value on special teams which active depth guys on the roster typically need to do.

Hard to believe he's still just 29. His back has to be healed by now, right?