Possible Three Way Trade?

stormshadow19

I just heard it on the radio (though I have no idea why they'd have Jets news on in Detroit, but I digress). It has the Jets trading the Number four pick to New Orleans, allowing the Aint's to take Mario Williams, and then the Jets trading the number two pick to Oakland for the number 7, Jerry Porter, and additional picks.

Yay or nay?

I was a huge Porter fan. He seems to have all the skills. A few years ago I thought he was going to be huge. But the facts remain, he is 28 and I believe he is still waiting for his 1st 1,000 yard season.

PASS.

I just heard it on the radio (though I have no idea why they'd have Jets news on in Detroit, but I digress). It has the Jets trading the Number four pick to New Orleans, allowing the Aint's to take Mario Williams, and then the Jets trading the number two pick to Oakland for the number 7, Jerry Porter, and additional picks.

Yay or nay?

The devil {or angel} is in the details ... I'd have to see what those "additional picks" entails?

Which picks would we be sending to the Saints?

Which would we be getting from the Raiders?

Is the NET GAIN worth moving from 4 to 7?

Can't tell for sure until we see the picks and the NET GAIN

I was a huge Porter fan. He seems to have all the skills. A few years ago I thought he was going to be huge. But the facts remain, he is 28 and I believe he is still waiting for his 1st 1,000 yard season.

PASS.

I AGREE, Max ... Porter, too me, is Just a THROW IN ... the meat of this deal is in THE PICKS

And since we have no way of knowing what picks we're talkin about here, I have no way of giving a YAY or a NAY ... like I said, depends on the size of the NET GAIN for the Jets ... Porter is Just a THROW IN, the incidental part of this deal in my view, and if minimizes the NET GAIN I would not make this deal

We don't need Porter. We have the Cotch man. This season if we have some stability at QB he is going to do really well. Remember that I have said this. Af far as the rest of the trade goes. You are right we would need to see the rest of the picks that we gave up and what we are getting.

PASS.

You folks would be wise to listen to max, he is making a brilliant point

I once read a column about the Steelers dynasty from the 70's, and how it was built, and what mistakes they first needed to address from prior years when they were perennial celler dwellers ... first they tried to figure out what they were DOING WRONG ... stop that behavior ... then figure out how to DO IT RIGHT

As for the first part, what they were doing wrong, they had developed a bad habit of trading draft picks for established veterans ... each time it looked like a safe bet, they only traded for players who looked good from afar, but time and time again they got burned ... so the lesson they derived was that other teams know THEIR PLAYERS far better than any outside observer ever can, and if they are willing to trade that player for draft picks it's best to assume all that glitters is not gold ... at which point the Steelers decided to simply STOP the practice of trading picks for veterans and build exclusively through the draft

What followed were some brilliant drafts for the Steelers, and the rest, as they say, is history

If you want exhibit A for the Jets, look no further than last years Doug Jolly trade {ironically from the Raiders} ... seemed like Jolly was a nice player who filled a need ... at worse it seemed like a decent trade ... but it turned into the type of disaster the Steelers often encountered during their celler dweller years

BEWARE OF TEAMS BARING GIFTS ... ESPECIALLY AL DAVIS

It's a Good motto to live by

I once read a column about the Steelers dynasty from the 70's, and how it was built, and what mistakes they first needed to address from prior years when they were perennial celler dwellers ... first they tried to figure out what they were DOING WRONG ... stop that behavior ... then figure out how to DO IT RIGHT

As for the first part, what they were doing wrong, they had developed a bad habit of trading draft picks for established veterans ... each time it looked like a safe bet, they only traded for players who looked good from afar, but time and time again they got burned ... so the lesson they derived was that other teams know THEIR PLAYERS far better than any outside observer ever can, and if they are willing to trade that player for draft picks it's best to assume all that glitters is not gold ... at which point the Steelers decided to simply STOP the practice of trading picks for veterans and build exclusively through the draft

What followed were some brilliant drafts for the Steelers, and the rest, as they say, is history

If you want exhibit A for the Jets, look no further than last years Doug Jolly trade {ironically from the Raiders} ... seemed like Jolly was a nice player who filled a need ... at worse it seemed like a decent trade ... but it turned into the type of disaster the Steelers often encountered during their celler dweller years

Great point Ham. The 49ers of the 80's built 100% through the draft too. Porter just has always seemed to be more hype than substance to me.

Exhibit B = Justin McCariens. Nevermind who else we might have grabbed (by staying pat, trading up, or trading down). We aslo gave him a $31M contract instead of giving a 2nd-rounder a $4M contract.

Trading picks for veterans is a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you're (theoretically) getting a veteran. If it's a so-so veteran then you're looking at him with rose-colored glasses thinking he'll be better for us than his prior team. But if the known quantity is anything special, you're also signing him to a monster contract instead of the cheap one that comes with a (non top-10) draft pick. It's the reason we "only" got a #29 for Abe. Atlanta not only had to give up the pick, but they also had to sign him to a big contract with a behemoth of a SB. If Abe was already signed for $3M/yr we'd have gotten much more for him (or would've just kept him).

Porter (like Jolley) is a little different than the McCariens trade, though, b/c Oakland already paid the SB. If he's a bust he can be cut without penalty at any time (barring his current contract calling for a $5M roster bonus next spring or something like that).

But yeah, if Porter was all that, Oakland would keep him (since they'll take a big cap hit for the SB they recently gave him), and give their new rookie QB a premiere set of WR's to work with when he takes over for Brooks...unless there's something wrong with Porter that they know about.

I just post what I hear. And, I was rather shocked to hear it on Detroit sports radio. I'm not sure what all the trade details are... but it might not be all bad. Hear me out.

The Jets still draft in the top ten. That's a good thing, right? They get a player cheaper. It's what? 5 to 10 million dollar difference? Something crazy like that, right? They only drop a net of three picks. They could, possibly, get the RAiders second and third (or fourth). And, they get someone who most people thought would be a damn good WR (had 950 yards receiving with Randy Moss being the other WR, but only had 5 TD's). Yeah, they may have to give up their second to New Orleans, but they recoup it in the Oakland trade.

Those are the pro's. The cons... they may far outweigh the pros. Porter hasn't exactly been lights out. While he's been better than Justin McCariens, he isn't a piece that you go get to move up in the world. Yeah, he's a big WR, but does he use that size properly? Is he fast? Is he a playmaker? Dropping down to seven, you miss out on Brick and Williams, and you might have to take a QB (which I'm strongly against). You could trade down, again... but that only works if there's something to trade down for.

I don't think I'd make this trade, unless my coaches felt it would help the team. It'd be better for the cap, obviously (lower picks, lower cap number). And, if Porter doesn't work out, you can cut him without anything negative happening to the team (no bonus, no cap hit, if I understand that correctly). It comes down to this: if you want to take a chance on Jerry Porter or not. Is he a JAG? Or, with the right coaching, can he become a gamebreaker? The one thing the Pats offense was missing (and didn't really need, actually) was that gamebreaking WR/RB. They had a team that was efficent moving the ball. If the Jets are going to follow that team building plan. Do we know what kind of offense Schott is going to run? I do remember alot of posters (including some prominent members of this and other Jets boards) wanting to sign Jerry Porter. Have things really changed that much, in over a year? It's not as if the Raiders had an ideal offense. Kinda like the Lions. All the problems were offensive line, from what I understand. But hey, I'm not an NFL GM, talent evaluator, or anything like that... I'm just a fan who wants to see his team win.

Archived