A Few Words on Vernon Davis...

Warfish

And you said, the Giants are the same exact team offensively with or without Shockey, which is falt out wrong imo.

Sorry if I came off the wrong way, but I just got the impression that if the Jets were to draft Duke Davis you'd be there to tell us "Same Ole Jets".

All I can say, lets watch this whole thing play out because all of us here have absolutely zero idea on how good any of these guys truly will be untill September comes around.

If we draft Davis, and he busts or even just doen't perform at at elite all-pro level (1000 yards 10 TD's+ by his second year and repeated a number of years beyond) then yes, it IS a "Same ol' Jets" situation. At #4, highest TE picked ever, a TE MUST be Shockey/Heap/Gonzales and then some. And if we're going to take him because he's "not a TE, he's a 6'4" 280 pound WR with 4.3 speed" he'll have to produce offensively at the same level we'd expect from the top-tier elite WR chosen at a #4 spot.

Anything else is a bust. Comes with the selection at that spot.

But the same rules apply to any QB taken or any DE taken. The only one immute to "stat/production syndrome" is the OT, who is judged more by "feel" than by numbers (since he has no numbers really).

1st of all, the tight end can be a huge weapon and make a huge impact.

They open up the passing game and the running game due to the defense having to key on them every play. Just look at all the top TEs in the NFL.

You think Barber would be as effective without Shockey? Definetly not.

A QBs best friend can be his tight end. If we grab Cutler or go with Ramsey as our starting QB they'll be alot better off with Davis than Dbrick IMO.

You guys are crazy. We have a tight end. Doug Jolley. :)

Is that a joke? If so, then it is really funny. If not, then it is still really funny.

If, as Warfish says, Patrick Ramsey is our best option at qb he is going to need guys who can get open and make plays for him. Even if you like Ramsey, you have to admit that with this sorry bunch of receivers we have he doesn't stand a chance. Ramsey is not like Brady or Favre in that he can take a **** group of receivers and light up the scoreboard with them.

McCariens and Jolley can't get open and drop passes, Baker is coming off a broken leg and wasn't great before it, Cotchery is nothing special and Tim Dwight is a special teams guy. The so-called star, Lavernues Coles, is just an ok possession receiver.

We need a receiver bad and Vernon Davis is the best receiver in this draft. He is versatile and can play WR as well as TE which makes him a very valuable commodity. He is fast (4.38 40), durable, confident and plays with a mean streak.

I don't see how D'Brickashaw Ferguson is going to be 25 times better than Winston Justice, Marcus McNeill and Eric Winston. I do see how Vernon Davis is going to be 25 times better than any other receiver or Tight End in this draft.

Just look at antonio gates...He's a WEAPON...

Jets have NO weapons.....

we couldn't win in Pittsburg because

a) jets have no weapons

B) jets HAD no qb to reach the non weapons...

You don't necessarily need a great qb if you have top-notch weapons. Look at Carolina with Delhomme and Steve Smith. Randy Moss and Terrell Owens have made careers out of making their quarterbacks look good.

Vernon Davis has all the tools and attitude to become a top-notch weapon in this league. Ramsey isn't a great qb but he is decent and Vernon Davis will make him look good.

And for all you O-line people, we can draft Davis and still take care of the O-line by drafting McNeill or Winston at 25 or Whitworth or Colledge at 35. The mid-rounds are full of good O-line prospects.

Archived