Mangini speaks on mini-camp so far

faba

May 13, 2006

Minicamp -- Day Two

By Ken Berger

Mangini was pleased with the morning practice today. The key thing for the rookies in a camp like this is to 1) improve on what they did the day before, and 2) translate what the coaches tried to teach in the classroom to the field as the installation on both sides of the ball progresses beyond the basics. Mangini seemed pleased that both had taken place.

I was here at 10:10 sharp for the toe-touching again, and I thought it was even better than yesterday. Not a single toe went untouched. Woody was back for Day Two, without the orange tie. He went tie-less, in fact. Mangini wore his gray sweatshirt, but he's clearly trying not to be too much like Belichick. There was no hood.

I am getting concerned about the health and well-being of a long-time practice observer. The black-and-white cat that Parcells used to stop and pet on his way to the field has been nowhere to be found during minicamp. Maybe he/she/it is not allowed to watch practice anymore. Or maybe he/she/it already has moved to Florham Park, N.J.

Assistant coaches and former Jets Richie Anderson, Bryan Cox, and Rick Lyle were back on the field after missing yesterday's sessions to attend a coaching symposium. Watching them coach brought a serious question to mind: Is Mangini going to be held back by having such an inexperienced staff?

I wish there was more I could share from the on-field activities. Honestly, the only thing that jumped out at me was Kellen Clemens' poise. He just looks the part. He'll need to bulk up considerably, and I gained no sense for how he's progressing with the playbook, but he oozes confidence. I'd prefer, however, if he would no longer refer to Chad as "Mr. Pennington."

I suppose there's a chance the Jets might've gotten a steal in Leon Washington, whose draft status suffered because he was in Bobby Bowden's doghouse at Florida State last year. Washington didn't join his teammates for offseason workouts after his junior year because he had to return home to Jacksonville to help earn money for his financially struggling family. He came back in less than exemplary shape as a senior and didn't put up the numbers he could have. If the Jets are going to run the Chargers' offense, they'll need to throw the ball to someone nifty out of the backfield. The opportunity to earn carries behind Curtis Martin should be wide open.

There's one practice tomorrow, with no media access. I do not anticipate being invited to the passing camp at the end of the month, so my next trip to Hofstra is tentatively scheduled to be full-squad minicamp, June 12-14.

This is from www.newyorkjets.com. The anti-Herman Edwards.

{ERIC MANGINI}

I enjoy doing that. I enjoy coaching. I enjoy teaching. I enjoy helping the players get better. I think in any area that I can help them get better, I'm going to. Maybe offensively, giving some insight into how defenses operate, how they attack them, the technique they play, that type of thing. Defensively giving some insight into the way I've done things and the way I envision things. I think it's important they hear from me,

Archived