Cowboys Ellis unhappy with contract

faba

Ellis says he would welcome a trade

By MAC ENGEL

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS/TONY GUTIERREZ

Cowboys defensive end Greg Ellis believes if he's not traded, 2006 will be his last season in a Dallas uniform.

At first Greg Ellis wanted his contract restructured; now he says he would like to be traded.

"I think if they could get what they are looking for, it is a possibility," the Cowboys defensive end said. "I've heard rumors."

At this stage, that is all they are. Rumors. Ellis said he has heard no such talk from Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones or coach Bill Parcells.

But Ellis' agent, James D. Williams, said his conversations with the Cowboys lead him to believe his client will be with the team when training camp begins July 27. And he doesn't see a change in the contract coming, either.

"It doesn't look like [a trade] is going to be feasible," said Williams, who said Ellis has not attended the Cowboys' voluntary workouts Monday or Tuesday. "It's a dead end. We're just looking forward to training camp."

Jones was not available for comment.

Ellis said he will not hold out from training camp, and that he plans to fulfill his contract. But he also thinks that, barring unseen big production this season, this year will be his last with the Cowboys. He said he was surprised when the team picked up his $500,000 roster bonus earlier this spring.

Ellis understands the Cowboys' position, and bears no grudges against the team or Parcells. He said he is closer to the coach than ever before, but it doesn't change the situation.

Ellis fears what happened to him in 2005 will happen again -- that the Cowboys say his role will be crucial, and then it decreases.

When he and Parcells spoke over the weekend, Parcells likened the situation to basketball. Everybody has a role.

"In that sport, you don't have to worry about being released," Ellis said. "Role players [in the NBA] have the confidence that they are under contract. Football isn't guaranteed....From their standpoint, they aren't saying, 'Greg, you aren't a good player.' I just want to be in a system that fits me."

Henry's comeback

Perhaps the best news receiving little or no attention during Cowboys minicamp was the health of defensive back Anthony Henry.

"I'm 100 percent now," said Henry, who suffered a hamstring injury in Week 8 of the 2005 season that slowed him the rest of the way. He missed four of the team's final eight games. The injury wiped out a season that had Pro Bowl written all over it.

"I thought it was something I could just fight through," Henry said. "The most important thing is mentally; just getting over it and not having to worry about it."

Henry was signed as a free agent ostensibly to cover then-Philadelphia Eagles receiver Terrell Owens. He struggled to do it in minicamp, but he doesn't have to worry about it now.

"I'm happy; I don't have to worry about him anymore," Henry said. "It's good we picked him up."

Archived