Hockey Season Is Over...

Maxman

I am actually not busting balls here. Hockey fans have so much passion. I just could never figure out why a few people love the sport and SO many people don't even know it exists. I would say major changes are in order.

Stanley Cup even ranks behind `Lucy'

By Tom Reed

ESPN began airing a seven-part series this week on the sport of dominoes, which begs the obvious question:

How long before even that gets better television ratings than the Stanley Cup Finals?

The series between the Edmonton Oilers and Carolina Hurricanes -- which resumes Saturday night at 8 with Game 6 on NBC -- has produced some terrific hockey. Too bad nobody outside of Raleigh, N.C., and Canada is watching.

Two kids playing Jenga in Central Park might lure more Nielsen viewers than the quest for Lord Stanley's mug. A fringe ``major'' sport even in its halcyon days of the mid-1990s, hockey on TV has gone deeper undercover than Donnie Brasco.

I am actually not busting balls here. Hockey fans have so much passion. I just could never figure out why a few people love the sport and SO many people don't even know it exists. I would say major changes are in order.

Stanley Cup even ranks behind `Lucy'

By Tom Reed

ESPN began airing a seven-part series this week on the sport of dominoes, which begs the obvious question:

How long before even that gets better television ratings than the Stanley Cup Finals?

The series between the Edmonton Oilers and Carolina Hurricanes -- which resumes Saturday night at 8 with Game 6 on NBC -- has produced some terrific hockey. Too bad nobody outside of Raleigh, N.C., and Canada is watching.

Two kids playing Jenga in Central Park might lure more Nielsen viewers than the quest for Lord Stanley's mug. A fringe ``major'' sport even in its halcyon days of the mid-1990s, hockey on TV has gone deeper undercover than Donnie Brasco.

you have to have a major network carry regular season to build interest.

you also have to have ESPN give more coverage and quit allocating 90% of thier sportscasts to dunks and the NBA

Well ESPN is in the ratings business. If people cared they would cover it.

Well ESPN is in the ratings business. If people cared they would cover it.

yup, but i sometimes wonder if 90% of broadcast is indicative of TRUE national interest in NBA...

Literally no one at work (and i work in a HUGE lab with thousands of workers) talks about the NBA,,,

You turn to Sportscenter andits almost all NBA during season..

yup, but i sometimes wonder if 90% of broadcast is indicative of TRUE national interest in NBA...

Literally no one at work (and i work in a HUGE lab with thousands of workers) talks about the NBA,,,

You turn to Sportscenter andits almost all NBA during season..

Hockey is a sport to watch in person not on the TV- major problem to get any decent ratings- fact

Hockey is a sport to watch in person not on the TV- major problem to get any decent ratings- fact

agree to a point,,, BEFORE HDTV

with the theater size big HDTVs Hockey leaps miles ahead of where it used to,,,

you see much of the behind puck action and the clarity makes the puck easy to see..

its like in football, the theater wides add 10 yards in each direction to viewing area,, its the same in hockey

you see much of the behind puck action and the clarity makes the puck easy to see..

its like in football, the theater wides add 10 yards in each direction to viewing area,, its the same in hockey

Most people do not have that large screen TV unless I am in the minority

SJ...

This I agree with. Hockey in high def is nice. Really nice.

Lets Go Rangers in 07!

Very sad to say I only caught 2 of the Stanley Cup games in their entirety's this year. Freakin' OLN.

could be worse, you could be like me and only caught the 1st half of 3 NBA Finals games, because they start at 9:20 PM, have a half hour half-time, and us working slobs that have to get up at 4:45 AM can't stay up to watch the 4th QTR at 12:30 AM.

Great series on the ice between Canes & Oilers.

Congrats to the Canes fans....jetheelz, next up a NCAA Baseball Championship for our Tarheels!!!!!

could be worse, you could be like me and only caught the 1st half of 3 NBA Finals games, because they start at 9:20 PM, have a half hour half-time, and us working slobs that have to get up at 4:45 AM can't stay up to watch the 4th QTR at 12:30 AM.

Great series on the ice between Canes & Oilers.

Congrats to the Canes fans....jetheelz, next up a NCAA Baseball Championship for our Tarheels!!!!!

Dont forget about me, im a TARHEEL as well!!

yes i heard they will be in the league in 2007...

No they should be a real cup contender. Unlike Carolina who had a lot of veteran guys in their this year, I can't see them winning too many more cups for a while, not until they get more support for Cole, Staal and Ward.

Looks like SI and MSNBC agree with me as well...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/allan_muir/06/21/inside.nhl/index.html

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/13426956/

No they should be a real cup contender. Unlike Carolina who had a lot of veteran guys in their this year, I can't see them winning too many more cups for a while, not until they get more support for Cole, Staal and Ward.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/allan_muir/06/21/inside.nhl/index.html

oh boy, that seals it :yahoo:

You mean same press that said Canes would finish last this year? :yahoo:

Bills and Sabres fan?

Life must suck!!

Buffalo was pegged to finish last in their division, I don't take much of these "experts" to seriously, although it is nice to see The Sabres finally get recognized.

oh boy, that seals it :yahoo:

You mean same press that said Canes would finish last this year? :yahoo:

Archived