For Armed Forces fans- If Army wins 6 games- guaranteed bowl game

faba

Army will go to Poinsettia Bowl if it wins 6 games

Associated Press

[url=http://log.go.com/log?srvc=sz&guid=FC13C340-0EA3-416A-B222-8DA496728AF4&drop=0&addata=1332:245:245133:65&a=1&goto=http://mobile.espn.go.com/?campaign=mobile&source=ESPN_ROS_146x46_Football_Switch_30Day150Signing]

WEST POINT, N.Y. -- Bobby Ross and his Army Black Knights will be playing in a bowl game in a Navy town -- if they can win enough games this season.

Poinsettia Bowl executive director Bruce Binkowski and Army officials announced Tuesday that if the Black Knights are eligible at season's end, they will be invited to play a team from the Mountain West Conference on Dec. 19 at Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego.

"We couldn't be more pleased," Binkowski said in a conference call.

The invitation is good only if the Black Knights go at least 6-6. Based on Army's recent history, that could be a mighty big if. Army hasn't been to a bowl game since 1996, when it lost to Auburn, 32-29, in the Liberty Bowl.

"This was the best bowl for us, and we believe we have a great chance of being bowl-eligible," Army director of athletics Kevin Anderson said. "We have to come up with the wins, but we are guaranteed. It would just be fantastic. They all love coach Ross out there."

Ross was the hugely popular coach of the San Diego Chargers from 1992-96. His teams made three playoff appearances in five years, including reaching the Super Bowl after the 1994 season.

Ross has a history of turning around moribund teams. A decade after being chased out of San Diego, he remains the only coach to take the Chargers to the Super Bowl.

"I love it there. It's a great, great place. But again, first you've got to have six [wins]," Ross said. "It's a starting point. It's nice to be in a position and have the opportunity. It shows progress."

The Black Knights were 4-7 last year, their second under Ross, who took over a program in severe disarray. Army won only two games in his first season, started last season 0-6, then won four straight before losing to Navy.

Ross was forced out of San Diego after the 1996 season, losing a power struggle with then-general manager Bobby Beathard.

Poinsettia Bowl officials had spoken in the past about wanting to have Navy and Army in some kind of rotation. Navy played in the inaugural Poinsettia Bowl in December, beating Colorado State 51-30 before an announced crowd of 36,842.

Earlier this year, Navy reached an agreement with the Meineke Car Care Bowl that could put the Midshipmen into that game when they're eligible.

Under an NCAA bylaw that went into effect earlier this month, a team can go to a bowl game with a 6-6 record if a contract is in place before the first game of the season. Army opens Saturday night at Arkansas State.

Ross said he would tell his players about the bowl opportunity at practice later in the day but cautioned about looking too far ahead. "It is added incentive, but it's such a long way away," Ross said. "I don't want to look too far down the road."

What the hell is a bowl game going to do for a 6-6 team? Army-Navy game has always been a bigger and better event than most of the bowl games anyway. Putting either team in a bowl wont really matter, especially if they are going to lose it.

What the hell is a bowl game going to do for a 6-6 team? Army-Navy game has always been a bigger and better event than most of the bowl games anyway. Putting either team in a bowl wont really matter, especially if they are going to lose it.

You are right in one regard -- Army Navy is still bigger than most of the non-BCS Bowl games. That said, this deal is more about giving the Army guys something to play for -- if they finish .500 or better, they get to go to a Bowl game (the invite to a bowl game itself may not be as big of a deal, but the fact that they got there means that they accomplished something). I expect Army to play their hearts out this season.

Without the hope of a bowl game, its really just a one-game season for the Academies.

I am a soldier currently serving overseas and let me tell you something very clearly: No one in the Army cares about the stupid f*cking football team. The only people in the Army who care are the West Pointers and that is because they went to school there.

Not even the soldiers who are hardcore football fans like myself care about the Army football team.

The only branch of service that cares about its football team is the Navy and that's because those fat, lazy bastards have nothing better to do than watch their team.

The only branch of service that cares about its football team is the Navy and that's because those fat, lazy bastards have nothing better to do than watch their team.

You forgot to call them gay...

Pardon me if I root for Army anyway, though.

I am a soldier currently serving overseas and let me tell you something very clearly: No one in the Army cares about the stupid f*cking football team. The only people in the Army who care are the West Pointers and that is because they went to school there.

Not even the soldiers who are hardcore football fans like myself care about the Army football team.

I disagree.

As a hardcore football fan you portray yourself to be, you miss the boat.

Army vs. Navy is not just about the tradition, but the game itself. These players know that the Army vs. Navy game their Senior year is their final game. These are not the natural athletes you see at all the Top 25 schools with visions of the NFL dancing in their heads. No, they play with pride and passion rarely seen at the big schools. The game is bigger then the schools and the players involved.

Plus, it is old school football. A well run Option attack is a thing of beauty to watch and behold.

I like college football. I watch it, I buy the games and everything. Follow BC and UNH, but the one game I will watch from begining to end is the Army game.

Your point has some merit, most people outside of the USMA family do have other allegiances, but do not dismiss the place we hold for our football team. In most overseas locations, their are two games likely to draw big crowds. The Superbowl and the Army/Navy game.

Archived