Transcripts With New York Jets

SoFlaJets

By the New York Jets

Posted Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Opening Statement

Couple of housekeeping things that may take some time here; Tui is going to be placed on IR. We looked at it, and were hoping to make more progress, but we are not going to be able to right now. He will be on IR. Trey Teague is being taken off PUP, so he will be on the active roster and he will count on the active roster as soon as we do that.

I spoke with Curtis and the doctors. We have done everything that we could up to this point to get Curtis ready for the season, but he is not going to be ready for the start of the season, so he will start the season on PUP. He has worked as hard as he can work to get ready for the start of the season. We have had a really good program in place, he just is not going to be ready for the season. The way that PUP works, his first window to come back will be week six. At week six, you have 21 days to practice the player, anywhere in that 21 days you can activate him at which point he counts on the active roster. During that period he wouldn

On whether Curtis will still be around the team until week six…

He will be like he has been, in the meetings. It is funny because he studies as hard as anybody. Whether he is playing or not I can ask him a question about the game plan and he is going to get it right. He is Curtis Martin; some guys who have elevated status in the league may think these questions aren’t that important. Everything is important to him. It is important to him that the team is successful and that he helps the team be successful whether he’s on PUP or the starting RB. I am sure he will be a Jets’ fan 20 years from now and help the Jets win. That is just who he is.

Im not as certain about this as I was about Chad but still I have to believe Curtis will not end his career on this sour note. If at all possible he will play again and it will be a big NFL network friendly story

meanwhile the same Jets fans that now say cut him (and some say he should have been cut years ago because he's not a gamebreaker like Lamont Jordan)

maybe then they will realize just how important Curtis Martin is to the organization and what the ownership feels about the player.

as long as Woodman Johnson owns the team Curtis Martin will be on the roster until he retires and for that period of the CuMart will be a part of the Jets brand more than any other current player.

Im not as certain about this as I was about Chad but still I have to believe Curtis will not end his career on this sour note. If at all possible he will play again and it will be a big NFL network friendly story

meanwhile the same Jets fans that now say cut him (and some say he should have been cut years ago because he's not a gamebreaker like Lamont Jordan)

maybe then they will realize just how important Curtis Martin is to the organization and what the ownership feels about the player.

as long as Woodman Johnson owns the team Curtis Martin will be on the roster until he retires and for that period of the CuMart will be a part of the Jets brand more than any other current player.

Even if you don't like their play, the team and the fans have to be happy and respect that Pennington and Martin continually restructure their deals to help the team out. Whether they can play or not, they do the right thing. Now if only they could play...

Archived