Trent Green out at least two games

faba

A source close to Trent Green told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that the Chiefs quarterback will likely miss at least the team's next two games due to a concussion.

Although Green suffered "pretty severe head trauma," preliminary X-rays of his head and neck were negative.

A CAT scan and MRI were both negative, but Green remains hospitalized.

A Chiefs spokesman had no comment.

Green was injured late in the third quarter of the Chiefs' 23-10 loss to the Bengals as he attempted a feet-first hook-slide. Cincinnati's Robert Geathers charged in and appeared to hit Green's head or chest with his shoulder, snapping his head back hard into the turf.

The shot caused even Geathers to pause. He stood on the Cincinnati sideline when play resumed 11 minutes later, re-entering the game a few plays later.

"It's an unfortunate situation and my prayers go out to his family and him and I hope he recovers," Geathers said. "We were just playing ball, flying around, and I know he understands that. He's played a long time."

Cincinnati coach Marvin Lewis said later that he thought Kansas City wide receiver Eddie Kennison pushed Geathers into Green, who was trying to slide for safety after scrambling on a broken play near the Chiefs' sideline.

No penalty was called on the play, and while Chiefs coach Herm Edwards said it looked like a helmet-to-helmet shot from his vantage point a few yards away, he had been advised not to comment on the officials' call.

"I'm not going into 'He said' or what they should have done," Edwards said.

The hit was viewed as a cheap shot by many in the Kansas City locker room, including defensive end Tamba Hali, who said referee Larry Nemmers told him no penalty was called because Gathers was airborne and unable to stop himself.

"This league is supposed to protect the quarterback," said Hali, shaking his head. "The comment from the ref was he was in the air. You can't have helmet-to-helmet because you can't control yourself in the air. But at least a call should have been made."

It sucks for Trent that hit was brutal but it was legal...no way should there have been a flag on the play, Geathers or Weathers or whoever hit him in the head with his back and he didn't even mean too. Sucks for Chiefs fans though and in terms of Green, hopefully he has a fast recovery and can be back on the field ASAP.

Damon Huard leading the Chiefs...have fun Herm.:character42:

It sucks for Trent that hit was brutal but it was legal...no way should there have been a flag on the play, Geathers or Weathers or whoever hit him in the head with his back and he didn't even mean too. Sucks for Chiefs fans though and in terms of Green, hopefully he has a fast recovery and can be back on the field ASAP.

Damon Huard leading the Chiefs...have fun Herm.:character42:

Huard<Bollinger

Archived