College BBall

uart

THE UNCW Seahaws. With a schedule that includes Colorado, NC State, Tennessee, Missouri State (Missouri Valley Conference team that was an NCAA tourney snub), George Mason (twice), and a highly touted Hofstra team (twice), my Seahawks have their work cut out for them, particularly after losing G John Goldsberry (who as a freshman set an NCAA Tournament record for three-pointers made, 8, in a 1st round loss to Maryland in 2003), as well as Head Coach Brad Brownell.

But under new Head Coach Benny Moss (formerly a 6-year assistant to Bobby Lutz at Charlotte), the team can expect to play a more up-tempo style, carried by breakout performer G T.J. Carter (talented slasher who scored 25 points against George Washington in the NCAA Tourney last year) and C Todd Hendley (big guy with an inside-outside game, scored 18 in the CAA championship game against Hofstra on ESPN last season).

I predict the Seahawks go over the 20-win mark and finish no lower than 3rd in the Colonial Athletic Association (CAA). Final 4 team George Mason, despite an outstanding recruiting class, is NOT the favorite to win next season. Hofstra returns nearly everyone from a team that SHOULD have been in the NCAA Tournament last season after beating George Mason twice in the regular season. They have something to prove this season after their 18-game home winning streak (2nd longest in the nation at the time behind Gonzaga) was snapped by conference rival Old Dominion in the NIT Quartefinals last season.

All in all, it will be an OUTSTANDING basketball season for my UNCW Seahawks and the rest of the CAA.

UNC

Final Four

Right. You're talking about a team built around a white guy (Hansbrough) that got DOMINATED last season by Will Thomas of George Mason. Roy Williams needs several All-Americans on his squad to go deep into the postseason. Forget about the Tarheels; they had a nice season last year, but the ACC was in a down year for sure.

They aren't entirely built around Hansbrough. He is a huge part of their offense but they also rely on guys like Rayshawn Terry, Danny Green, Bobby Frasor, and Wes Miller. Tyler is the inside threat while Miller, Terry ,Green, and Frasor are the ones who hit the 3's.

Brendan Wright and Wayne Ellington will bring in some good help as well. The team has good depth also which helps alot.

I say Carolina gets 15-20 wins this season, makes the big dance.

Illinois.

Should be an interesting year. If the young kids progress and Jamar Smith takes the step up he can be just as good if not better than Luther Head was with us. They wont match what they did the last 2 years but I think they can be a solid team while they wait for #1 recruit Eric Gordon, as long as he doesnt de-commit..

They aren't entirely built around Hansbrough. He is a huge part of their offense but they also rely on guys like Rayshawn Terry, Danny Green, Bobby Frasor, and Wes Miller. Tyler is the inside threat while Miller, Terry ,Green, and Frasor are the ones who hit the 3's.

Brendan Wright and Wayne Ellington will bring in some good help as well. The team has good depth also which helps alot.

You don't go to the "big dance" if you only have around 15 wins.

with the quality depth coming in this team will be better than last years,,

one or two starters from last years quality team will not start this year..

I'm a big Penn State fan, actually helped to found a student section organization for the basketball games a couple years ago. I miss my courtside Big Ten seats.

We're probably destined for the NIT again. We bring back most of our team that got their last year, but with a weak schedule and a lack of a center the NCAA's seem unlikely.

Archived