- more experience for our rookie OLmen

- an OG

- a RT

- a FB

- a HB

- a TE

- a NT

- a real pass-rushing OLB

- a run-stuffing ILB who isn't a liability in coverage (Barton should be outside)

I agree, mostly. I think our top-3 priorities (in any order) right now need to be:

1) Having an O-Line we can run behind

2) Get a legitimate workhorse #1 RB

3) NT NT NT! We need to retool the defense to stop the run.

Being able to pass-rush would be nice too, its high on my list as well. A TE or a FB would be nice, but ultimately I think our O has been performing well -- could be better, but if our D was stopping the run, we'd probably be able to win a few games like yesterday.

AFJ-Do you think in teh play call discussion that they had with Chad, that the talk EVER turned to "If you don't see the guy open Chad, throw the ball away or run. We can't afford to give away this field position"?

Of course it didn't. Leavibf Indy at the 3 was never a viable option for Mangini. Or it shouldn't have been.

That was an all or nothing call, with no basis for settling for anything being acceptable.

I will say this-If mangini weighed his options, and thought leaving Indy at the 3 was better than 3 points-The man will not make it as a Head Coach. That would be horrible decision making and the likes of it will ruin his shot of being a Head coach long in this league.

Yeah, backing Manning up to the 3 will really make he and that offense nervous. C'mon people.

Ridiculous. Nobody said he wasn't trying for the TD or that he would rather have Indy pinned than have the 3 points. A good HC considers ALL possible outcomes-if the chance at getting the 7 is there and the down side, whatever % is Indy from the 3 you weigh that against scoring 3 and kicking off. A good coach plays the percentages. That doesn't mean that he always takes the 3, it means he weighs the options based upon what play he is calling and it's chance for success. If you think Manning is the same from the 3 as the 30 you are nuts. Yes he is still dangerous, but I'd start him on the 3 over the 20 every time, wouldn't you?

but I'd start him on the 3 over the 20 every time, wouldn't you?

Not if it means that I eschew a sure 3 points in the process. THAT would be ridiculous.

Hypothetical-Ask Mangini what he thought his chances were on getting a TD on that play. What do you think he will say?

Also ask him-Did the thought of leaving Indy at the 3 enter your rationale? What do you think he will say?

Not if it means that I eschew a sure 3 points in the process. THAT would be ridiculous.

Agreed.

Hypothetical-Ask Mangini what he thought his chances were on getting a TD on that play. What do you think he will say?

He'd say we felt the play would go for a td.

Also ask him-Did the thought of leaving Indy at the 3 enter your rationale? What do you think he will say?

I'd hope he'd say I thought about it and I thought we could get the TD.

I don't have a problem with what you're saying, but you act like the guy should be oblivious to the field position if the play potentially fails. Tex agrees with you, but I'll bet anything Belly knows exactly what would happen if the play works or if the play fails AND takes both into account when making the decision. Herm had his head in the sand, this guy doesn't.

I don't have a problem with what you're saying, but you act like the guy should be oblivious to the field position if the play potentially fails. Tex agrees with you, but I'll bet anything Belly knows exactly what would happen if the play works or if the play fails AND takes both into account when making the decision. Herm had his head in the sand, this guy doesn't.

I think we are both on teh same general page here, just getting there in different ways. I understand what you are saying.

the miller return skews the outcome of the game and the effect of mangini's decision to go for the TD. while i thought at the time that kicking the FG was the right decision going for the TD was more an indictment of the defense than anything else.

as much as i hate to admit it i think mangini basically thought that FG's were not going to beat manning and the colts. the jets showed no ability to slow manning down late in the game and ultimately they needed a td to have a chance. the idea that if the pass failed the colts would start at the 3 could only serve to help an already struggling defense.

Archived