JETS ARTICLES - TUE 11/21

Sperm Edwards

Chad Is the Quarterback

Published: 11-20-06

By Eric Allen

Article Permalink: http://www.newyorkjets.com/articles/chad-is-the-quarterback

Chad Pennington has started all 10 games at quarterback for the New York Jets during this 2006 campaign. Pennington, who threw two interceptions in Sunday’s loss to the Bears, will start for a 11th consecutive time this weekend against the Houston Texans at the Meadowlands.

“Like I said, I thought there were a lot of decisions that I really liked in the game and there are a lot of things that Chad does that I appreciate as a coach and I really respect," said Jets head coach Eric Mangini on Monday. "I think he does a nice job.”

The Bears slowed the Jets offensive attack for much of the day as the visitors captured a 10-0 victory. It was the second time the Jets were shutout this season. Against the Bears, Pennington completed 19 of 36 passes for 162 yards. The Jets moved into plus-territory on four separate occasions, but they failed to finish. Mangini said Monday that neither backup Patrick Ramsey nor rookie Kellen Clemens will see their practice reps increase.

“It will be the same each week,” Mangini said. “Chad will be the starter, Patrick will have his normal reps, and Kellen will be mixed in a little bit.”

Pennington’s performance was not without positives. Mangini liked the way his 6’3”, 225-pound passer directed from the line of scrimmage.

“What gets lost a little bit is a lot of the plays Chad got us into because it’s not really seen,” Mangini said. “You only see the final play call, but he will be given different options coming out of the huddle. Based on the look, he’ll check to one thing or the other thing. There were quite a few really positive plays that he got us into based on the look to help us with the drives.”

"Chad has done a lot of things - not just yesterday but through the year - where he gets us into the right play at the line of scrimmage," added guard Pete Kendall. "If the right play is a pass, it gets thrown. If the right play is a run, it gets called."

The Jets reached the Bears' six-yard line on their third drive. Facing third and goal, Pennington threw a ball in the direction of Chris Baker. But Brian Urlacher, the supremely talented middle linebacker who has played in five Pro Bowls, made a phenomenal read and came up with a critical first takeaway.

“He made a really good read on a play that I understood where Chad was going and why he was going there,” Mangini said. “He initially looked him off, but Urlacher is a pretty good player and came over and made a great catch and a great read. They have gotten the most takeaways of anybody in the NFL – they are pretty good at it.”

Trailing 3-0, the Jets again entered enemy territory only to turn the ball over again. After colliding with rookie runner Leon Washington, Pennington felt Alex Brown breathing down his neck and unloaded a pass in the direction of Baker. Cornerback Nathan Vasher easily handled it for the Bears to thwart yet another scoring threat.

“The one that I think he thinks he should probably have thrown away was the one where he threw across his body," Mangini said of Pennington. "The second best thing that can happen on a pass play is an incompletion and that would have been the best play for us at that point.”

After 10 games, Pennington has completed 61.9% of his passes with 10 touchdowns and 11 interceptions. Pennington, who entered the season with a 92.1 QB rating, has a 76.8 rating and has passed for 1,888 yards.

Notebook

Why did Eric Mangini opt to attempt an onside kick at the beginning of Sunday's second half? People have tried to over-analyze the unsuccessful play, but Mangini had a simple answer Monday. “I thought it was going to work,” he said. “It wasn’t about the offense or about the defense. I liked the play. Watching it in practice, watching how we executed it, seeing what they were doing in terms of the return game, seeing the match-up we had, seeing the numbers we had – I really liked the play. Sometimes plays you like don’t work out the way you like them to.” Mangini said Mike Nugent's kick could have been higher, but Chris Harris made a good recovery despite the oncoming pressure… The Bears only reached the red zone once Sunday and the Jets forced a Robbie Gould field goal after a first and goal from the four-yard line. “I have been impressed for a while with the goal line defense,” Mangini said. “I think they have really done an excellent job with responding in that situation, which is a critical situation. It goes a long way to winning and losing games.”… With a little more than six minutes remaining Sunday, Mangini decided to punt on a fourth and 12 from the Bears' 37-yard line, hoping to force a quick three and out. "There was quite a bit of time on the clock there. I felt pretty good about getting them backed up,” he said. “I thought the defense was playing really well at that point. If you get a three and out, force a punt and keep them backed up, you get really good field position and you have a really nice opportunity to get at least three and ideally get seven.”…

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-jets-penningtonsstruggles&prov=ap&type=lgns

Mangini still confident in Pennington despite QB's struggles

By DENNIS WASZAK Jr., AP Sports Writer

November 20, 2006

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (AP) -- Eric Mangini's confidence in Chad Pennington has not wavered.

Not with the quarterback's inconsistent play of late, or the uncharacteristically poor decisions he's made.

ADVERTISEMENT

"Chad is the quarterback right now," the New York Jets coach said Monday without hesitation.

Pennington, always known more for his decision-making skills than his arm strength, has been heavily criticized in recent weeks because of a streak of unspectacular play. It was much the same Sunday in a 10-0 loss to Chicago.

He was 19-of-35 for 162 yards and threw two costly interceptions that ended long drives for the Jets, setting off a storm of radio-show callers and message-board posters asking for Patrick Ramsey or rookie Kellen Clemens to jump-start the offense.

"It will be the same as each week," Mangini said of his plans leading to Sunday's game against Houston. "Chad will be the starter, Patrick will have his normal reps and Kellen will be mixed in a little bit."

The players, like their coach, insist they haven't lost any confidence in Pennington.

"No, not at all," receiver Jerricho Cotchery said. "We just know as a group, offensively -- the receivers and the QBs -- we've just got to continue to work at it every day and continue to go by what we see on film and continue to communicate with each other, and I think we'll be all right."

Pennington, who wasn't available to the media Monday, said after the game that he's missing the chemistry with his receivers he had earlier this season. He has seven touchdowns and two interceptions in the Jets' five wins, but just three TDs and an alarming nine INTs in the five losses.

"It's just a little bit off," he said. "Not hitting receivers, not being on the same page as my receivers, just a little bit of that here and there that's causing the inconsistency."

It's something that needs to be fixed quickly, though, especially if the Jets plan on making the postseason.

"Somewhere along the line, it kind of got lost, but we're not in panic mode right now," Cotchery said.

Pennington looked terrific in his first two games since undergoing a second operation on his rotator cuff last season. He passed for 319 yards in the season opener at Tennessee and 306 in a loss to New England, throwing two TD passes in each.

But he has thrown for over 200 yards only once since, seven weeks ago against Indianapolis, and has had two touchdown passes in a game once, five weeks ago against Miami.

"We're close to getting back to where we want to be," Cotchery said. "Everything takes time."

Pennington said after the game that he feels fine physically, and Mangini isn't concerned that his quarterback is tiring after playing in a total of 16 games in the last two seasons.

"I don't see a lot of difference where Chad was (in training camp) and where Chad is now," Mangini said. "I think he's done a good job, and I think he'll continue to do a good job."

Other than Pennington's performance Sunday, there were two major plays that contributed to the loss. One was the decision to go for an onside kick to open the second half. The trickery backfired when the ball was recovered by Chicago and Robbie Gould's field goal broke a scoreless tie eight plays later.

"Watching it in practice, watching how we executed it, seeing what they were doing in terms of the return game, seeing the matchup we had and seeing the numbers we had, I really liked the play," Mangini said. "Sometimes the plays you like don't work out the way you'd like them to."

The Jets also were aggressive with the blitz against Rex Grossman, and were mostly successful with it, holding the Bears quarterback to 7 yards passing in the first half. But it took one play to change the complexion of the game.

New York sent everyone in on the first play of the fourth quarter, and it set up a one-on-one matchup between rookie safety Drew Coleman and second-year receiver Mark Bradley. Bradley caught a short pass from Grossman, Coleman slipped and 57 yards later, the Bears were up by 10 points.

"It was 3-0 going into the fourth quarter and we missed a tackle on the blitz -- that changes things," Mangini said. "There were a lot of opportunities across the board offensively, defensively, on special teams for us all to do a better job, myself included. We all have to continue to improve."

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/articles/show_permalink/mangini-pennington-s-good-plays-go-unnoticed

Mangini: Pennington's Good Plays Go Unnoticed

Published: 11-20-06

By Jets PR Department

Article Permalink: http://www.newyorkjets.com/articles/mangini-pennington-s-good-plays-go-unnoticed

On third and goal from the Chicago six-yard line Sunday, nearly every single one of the 77,632 fans at the Meadowlands were prepared to erupt in joy as the Jets looked to take the lead on the NFC’s best. In the blink of an eye however, all the life was sucked out of the Green and White faithful as the reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year, Brian Urlacher ,intercepted Chad Pennington six yards deep in the end zone.

“The throw that (Brian) Urlacher picked off, I thought he made a really good read on a play,” head coach Eric Mangini said. “I understood where Chad was going and why he was going there. Initially it looked good, but Urlacher is a pretty good player. He came over and made a great catch on a great read. They have the most takeaways of anybody in the NFL. They are pretty good at it.”

Read below for Coach Mangini’s complete press conference transcript

New York Jets’ Head Coach Eric Mangini, 11.20

Opening Statement…

After reviewing the tape and talking to the team, the Bears are an outstanding team. When you play an outstanding team the margin of error is very small. They made more plays than we did and they were able to accomplish some things that we were trying to keep them from doing. That was the difference in the game.

Defensively I was encouraged by us holding them scoreless in the first half and only giving up 10 points in the game. I was, and I have been for a while, impressed with our goal line defense. They have done an excellent job of responding in that situation, which is a critical situation to winning and losing games.

Offensively, overall we ran the ball well, especially in the first half. We did some good things in terms of time of possession in the first half as well, and there were some good drives. We penetrated into positive territory four times but unfortunately couldn't come up with any points.

On special teams, overall I thought holding the two biggest play-makers from a coverage standpoint to one assist, keeping Devin Hester to seven yards, was an excellent effort. We were physical on special teams. I thought we could have executed the onsides kick a little bit better.

Moving on to Houston, we will be getting through the corrections here today, then everybody will be moving and working on Houston.

On the onsides kick…

That's always a difficult kick. It's one that he's improved on quite a bit. A little bit more height would have been good. There was decent height, but it could have been a little bit higher. As far as coverage is concerned, after watching the tape, we were even closer than I originally thought from the sideline. We had a really good opportunity there. I thought they made a nice play. They did a really good job covering it.

On Chicago recognizing the call for an onside kick…

Maybe they recognized it. I couldn't tell you. You'd have to ask them. I think it was more that it was a better play in terms of recovering a really difficult ball with four guys bearing down on you, and no real fact that they knew it was coming.

On kicking the ball to the right instead…

He's better on that side. That was the thinking there.

On the chemistry between the receivers and quarterback…

I think we all have things we can work on, whether it be the receivers, the quarterback, the tight ends, running backs. Everybody has things coming from the game that we need to improve, offensively, defensively and on special teams. I thought there were some really good plays in the passing game as well and some good examples of them connecting. It's all of us working to improve.

On the positives of the run game versus Chicago…

We had 91 yards in the first half, which is pretty good against, as I said, a good team. I thought that the fits, there was a lot of movement, for the most part did a good job of getting a hat for a hat and giving the runners a chance to get through. Cedric (Houston) did a really nice job with his opportunity, he had some good physical runs. I thought (James) Hodgins did a nice job as a lead blocker.

On Patrick Ramsey taking more reps this week in practice…

It will be the same as each week; Chad (Pennington) will be the starter, Patrick will have his normal reps, Kellen (Clemens) will be mixed in a little bit.

On Pennington’s performance in the past three games…

I think what gets lost is a lot of the plays that Chad got us into, because it's not really seen. You only see the final play call, but he'll be given different options coming out of the huddle. Based on the look, he'll check to one thing or the other thing. There were quite a few really positive plays that he got us into based on the look to help us with the drives we got. The one drive there that stalled on the five-yard line, him moving down the field, seeing what they're in, having the different options, it’s called 'check with me'. He ends up the line, what he tells everybody is essentially, check with me, I'll tell you what we're doing. He got us into a lot of good plays. That goes unnoticed.

On Pennington’s play versus Chicago…

Chad has made some good throws throughout the season. The throw to Jerricho (Cotchery) there, the one over by the sideline, I thought was a nice throw. I thought he had a couple nice throws on the stop routes there, a few of the inside breaker routes. There are a few that I'm sure he'd like to have back and we'd like to have back. But he's made quite a few good throws throughout the season.

On Pennington’s interceptions…

The throw that (Brian) Urlacher picked off, I thought he made a really good read on a play. I understood where Chad was going and why he was going there. Initially it looked good, but Urlacher is a pretty good player. He came over and made a great catch on a great read. They have the most take‑aways of anybody in the NFL. They are pretty good at it.

The one that I think he should have probably thrown away, I'm sure he thinks he should have thrown away, is the one where he threw across his body. The second best thing that can happen on a pass play is an incompletion. That would have been the best thing for us at that point.

On Laveranues Coles being open on the Urlacher interception…

It depends on the look. You have both those options. Based on what was called, it looked decent inside there. The play over to Laveranues' side broke through and he had an option there. But the play inside didn't look bad to Baker either.

On if Mangini faults Pennington for making the throw…

I understood what he was doing with that. It was a play that we had practiced. As I said, Urlacher did a really nice job breaking over and not only doing that but being able to convert on the catch. It was a pretty good catch, too.

On Coles being a decoy on the play…

Sometime it's based on the coverage. The coverage they were in usually takes you inside on that initially.

On the Bears’ pass-rush affecting the game plan…

Some of it was just based on the coverage they were giving us, where the weakness in the coverage was. This is a team now that's scored 30 plus points in five of their eight wins. A lot of those points, almost half their points, came on takeaways. It was very important to be able to control the ball, be able to run the football effectively, not give up points due to takeaways, and be able to understand where the pressure was coming from and where the weakness was based on the pressure.

On the Bears’ players commenting that they were reading the Jets’ offense…

You know, that (Urlacher’s interception) was relatively early in the game. I think he (Urlacher) makes a lot of plays that are instinctual. He's an outstanding player. I'm sure, like a lot of outstanding players, he saw something there that he was athletically able to break on and make the play. Overall there were receivers that we did have some options for and I think Chad did go through his progressions for the most part. We had some opportunities. We just didn't capitalize on those opportunities.

On offensive penalties…

Cadence is something that was very important to us. We had the third‑and‑one where we jumped, the third‑and‑six where they jumped. It worked both ways. That's something that we do work extensively on day in and day out and for a long time. That's something that we're going to continue to incorporate throughout the rest the season. We can't have multiple false starts.

On concern for Pennington becoming fatigued this late in the season…

This is my first season working with Chad. I talk to Chad quite a bit. I think physically he feels pretty good. We monitor him and we monitor all players. I think the reps in practice, the things we do, they're all catered to everybody being physically at their best point at the start of the game.

On Pennington’s progress since training camp…

I don't see a lot of difference where Chad was then and where Chad is now. I think he's done a good job. I think he'll continue to do a good job.

On if, in hind sight, Mangini would attempt the onsides kick again…

Yes.

On the players looking ahead at the remainder of the schedule…

I think if you stop focusing on what's in front of you, that's when you stop progress. The formula for success is looking at the next opponent. You see week in and week out teams with different records, teams that the statistics say one thing, the record says one thing, then the game unfolds and the game turns out totally different than what statistically it should or what based on record it should. The best way to perform each week is to practice and prepare the same way.

On execution…

I think we need to execute better. When you face a team that's as good as Chicago is, it all comes down to execution because the margin of error decreases substantially. It was 3‑0 going into the fourth quarter, and we missed a tackle on the blitz. That changes things. There were a lot of opportunities. There were a lot of opportunities across the board offensively, defensively, on special teams for us all to do a better job, myself included. We all have to continue to improve. That's what we did today. We looked at the tape. We're learning from those things. We're going to come back.

The players picked up their DVDs and started their work on Houston. We'll come back on Wednesday and our compete focus is Houston.

On the defense…

It's always the same equation. It's been something that we've talked about since training camp. When you blitz, you have to do it well. You have to hit the right gaps. You have to execute it effectively. On the flipside, if they're able to complete the pass, you now have to limit the six‑yard gain from being the 57‑yard gain, or against Jacksonville where it was a 41‑yard gain. Those are things that tie in with the front and the coverage. We've been blitzing quite a bit since the beginning. It's all based on risk/reward. Yesterday was a good example that at some point you do have the opportunity with less bodies back there to turn a six‑yard play into a big play.

On the coverage of the touchdown pass…

That was a blitz, all‑out blitz.

On if a safety was supposed to be back…

No.

On two corners being back…

Yeah. Somebody's band was going to play.

On the third man back…

Everybody was going. We had everybody covered. Pretty much you're out there. Talk about the island ‑ you're on it.

On gambling with blitzes…

We've done it since the Tennessee game. We did it during pre‑season. We've done it quite a bit. Again, it comes back to you where you have to hit more than you miss. You have to make it work. With anything like that, it's even more important that everybody is in the right spot, everybody's hitting the right gaps. One small mistake, the exposure increases, especially for the coverage unit.

On D’Brickashaw Ferguson’s movement on Pennington’s second interception…

Some of that was based on the pull of the play. I thought the end did a nice job staying upfield. If you remember earlier on the reverse, same type of action. Came down hard. That historically had been what they did. We hadn't really come back to that action for quite some time. I thought he did a nice job recognizing that. At that point you really just say 'uncle' and throw it away.

On the defense…

I've been pleased defensively over the past two weeks in the sense that two of the better offenses in the league, scored a total of 24 points. There were a lot of mistakes in both games defensively. There were a lot of things we could do better defensively. But to hold two teams like that to a total of 24 points and have that many things that we need to work on I think is in a way good news because there is room for improvement. That being said, you need to be able to hold up across the board in order to keep dialing that stuff up. There's going to be some games where you may want to blitz, but it's just not effective. It's not worth it to do it. It will be catered based upon the opponent.

On correlations between Pennington’s interceptions…

I think there is a mixture of things. I think it's the same thing as getting interceptions defensively. Some could be the throw. Some of it could be a good play defensively. I thought Urlacher made a really good play on that interception. That happens sometimes, where the defense makes a really good play. Sometimes it could be the receiver not having the right depth, not hitting the right spot. You try to throw things on time. They're not quite where they need to be, so the ball that should be completed, the window it should be completed in, now sails to a safety. It's not one consistent mark that you can just say, ‘That's the issue, and once we eliminate that, it will all take care of itself.’

On if Pennington needed to throw a fastball…

I think he was throwing it relatively quick. That guy's pretty good.

On Mangini’s confidence in Mike Nugent…

Each game that we go into, Mike (Westoff) and I talk about it when we get to the stadium, what yard line do we want to go from, what do we feel good about, what do we like. It will be based on the wind, the conditions, the hash marks, all of those different elements come into play. As we talked about those situations, I just thought that the alternative was the better choice at that time.

On making a quarterback change…

I think it would be like anything else: I think if someone had earned the opportunity and someone had clearly distinguished themselves, just like any other position, it would be evaluated. Everybody in every position is really under the same guidelines. It's not a special set for one position or another.

On considering the quarterback change…

Chad is the quarterback right now. Like I said, I thought there were a lot of decisions I really liked in the game. There's a lot of things that Chad does that I appreciate as a coach, I really respect. I think he does a nice job. As always, I'm sure he'd like to have that second interception back. I think the first interception was really an outstanding play on their part.

On making the decision to attempt the onsides kick…

It was really that I thought it was going to work. It wasn't about the offense or about the defense. I liked the play. Watching it in practice, watching how we executed it, seeing what they were doing in terms of the return game, seeing the match‑up we had, seeing the numbers we had, I really liked the play. Sometimes the plays you like don't work out the way you'd like them to.

On if they had decided at halftime to attempt the kick…

If we lost the toss or it had gone the other way, we would have started the game with it.

On deciding whether to go for it on fourth and 12 late in the game…

There was quite a bit of time on the clock there. I felt pretty good about getting them backed up. I thought the defense was playing really well at that point. If you get a three‑and‑out from the punt, keep them backed up, you have really good field position, you get a nice opportunity there to at least get through and ideally get seven.

On considering the Giants/Bears’ game from the previous week when making decisions…

Each game is different. Each defense is different, the approach. At that point I felt pretty good about our chances to get the ball back. We had been playing effectively on defense.

Kendall: That's the Nature of the Beast

Published: 11-21-06

By Jets PR Department

Article Permalink: http://www.newyorkjets.com/articles/kendall-that-s-the-nature-of-the-beast

Pete Kendall, who is in his 11th NFL season, certainly knows what it’s like to be judged, whether positively or negatively, by the media and fans.

“It’s not a surprise. That’s the nature of the beast; that’s the way it goes around here,” said Kendall about some of the recent criticisms quarterback Chad Pennington has received. “Again, I didn’t seem to hear too many complaints last week. It is part of the business. Chad has been through it before; we’ve all been through it before. Our job is to go out there and win games. That is the expectation and when we don’t do it, nobody is more disappointed than we are.”

Read below for transcripts from Inside the Jets Locker Room

New York Jets’ G Pete Kendall, 11.20

On defenses doing different things to the Jets…

The defenses have made some adjustments. Earlier in the season, the running game wasn’t where it needed to be and now, we’ve been able to run the ball a little bit better. If you look at yesterday’s game, the only thing we didn’t do satisfactory in the first half, was score points. We had the ball twice as long as the Bears, we ran the ball for nearly 100 yards, we were efficient on third down, the only thing we didn’t do is score points. It’s hard for a quarterback to throw for 300 yards when 20 attempts are called. We all try to play within the system, to execute the game plan, whatever it is that the coaches give us to try and win the game. I thought that they gave us a good game plan yesterday and they’ve been giving us good game plans the whole season.

On the team’s confidence in Chad Pennington not wavering…

I would think so. Certainly for me, I agree with what Eric Mangini said, Chad has done a lot of things, not just yesterday, but through the year where he gets us into the right play at the line of scrimmage. It the right play is a pass, it gets thrown, if the right play is a run, it gets called. Of course, every time you run the ball, it’s one less chance to throw it.

On how Chad Pennington could have missed Brian Urlacher…

He ran from the other side of the field, that’s the first thing. Brain covers a lot of ground, that’s the reason why he’s been all-pro so many times. The other thing is, he’s down there in the tight red-zone, there are 22 bodies there and it’s easy for the game to start moving real fast. Chad has been, I don’t think tremendous is too strong a word, throughout his career in the red-zone I think that was only his second thrown interception in seven years. I’m sure if you asked him, he’d like to have it back, but nobody is going to play a perfect game.

On the media and fans being hard on Chad Pennington…

It’s not a surprise. That’s the nature of the beast, that’s the way it goes around here. Again, I didn’t seem to hear too many complaints last week. It’s part of the business, Chad has been through it before, we’ve all been through it before. Our job is to go out there and win games, that’s the expectation and when we don’t do it, no body is more disappointed than we are.

On being off-sides at home…

We do some things with cadence and you know how the old saying goes, sometimes you get the bear and sometimes the bear gets you. It worked for us yesterday as well, I think we had one sequence where it was third-and-one and we went off-sides, it was third-and-six and they went off sides and we were right back to where we started and third-and-one. I think in the end, the cadence has proven to be a better weapon for us than it has been a detriment. It hasn’t come without its ups and downs.

New York Jets’ WR Jerricho Cotchery, 11.20

On how tight Chicago’s coverage was…

They deserve some credit to a certain degree, but a lot of things were self-inflicted wounds that happened throughout the game. We just didn’t play consistently throughout and we didn’t execute the way we wanted to execute. Any time you don’t do that against a good defense, the outcome won’t be good.

On how much was good defense and how much was self-inflicted…

A lot of glaring things yesterday were self-inflicted. A lot of people didn’t play well or consistently throughout the game and in the end, that proved to be the deciding factor.

On wavering confidence in Chad Pennington…

No, not at all. We just know as a group, offensively, we need to continue to work at it every day, continue to go by what we see on film and continue to communicate with each other and I think we’ll be alright.

On how close they are to “clicking…”

We’re close to getting back where we want to be. Everything takes time. We just have to hold up an our end of the ball, because the defense it constantly getting better each week. As a team, we’re constantly getting better, we’ll just continue to work hard every day and see where it takes us from there.

On how chemistry between a quarterback and his receivers can be lost…

Chemistry is a thing that doesn’t just come and once you have it, you have to continue to work at it so you can keep it. Somewhere along the line it got lost, but we’re not in panic mode right now, we’re just going to continue to work hard every day. On offense, we’re just trying to get better to hold up our end on the ball.

On if it becomes harder when you get off to a bad start…

That’s true, to a certain degree. You always want to come out with that type of energy, and that will allow you to do things well, as an offense. Any time that you don’t come out with that energy and the execution, all the things you want to do as an offense, it slows things down. Half time allows you to regroup, so you’ll be able to come out the way you wanted to at the beginning of the game. We just have to execute better and more consistently as an offense.

New York Jets’ TE Chris Baker, 11.16

On if anything is wrong with Chad Pennington…

He looks fine to me, I don’t think there are any problems. It’s tough to win in this league and you can have an up and down game, that’s the way it goes. I know how he is and he’s working hard, so he’ll be ready to go come Wednesday.

On if he saw Vasher coming across…

Yeah, I saw him over there, when I turned. He was kind of hanging back in the zone defense. There was obviously a lot of pressure on the play.

On offensive chemistry…

That’s part of it. Our timing is a little bit off and that makes it tough, when you’re off like that, but that’s why we practice, to get back on the same page. Once we do that we’ll be fine.

On opposing defenses doing different things…

Honestly, most of the defensive game plans have been pretty much what we’ve been practicing and we know what to expect when we come out. And the game plan… the coaches do a good job of getting us ready. We just have to execute our offense, because our offense is hard to defend, we just have to execute it. Once we do that, we’ll present those problems that we did earlier in the year to the defenses.

On if teams are ready for the no-huddle…

No, because there were quite a few plays where we were running the ball and they were still looking to the sideline to get the calls. It’s not that, it’s just us not being on the same page and getting the things done that need to get done. When you have those breakdowns, it makes it hard to move the ball and put points on the board.

On the confidence in Chad Pennington…

He’s been around for a while and he knows what to say to get us going. He’s our leaders, so throughout the game, he’ll say, “C’mon guys, lets get it going,” and things like that. He inspires a lot of confidence.

New York Jets’ CB Drew Coleman, 11.20

On if the field caused him to slip…

I just tried to get outside leverage and as I looked up, I was sliding. I don’t know if I slipped or if the turf made me slip, but I fell. I was out of wack, and he made a good move; he faked outside and came back in, so that could have done it, or the turf, or cleats. You could blame a lot of things. He made a good play and got a touchdown, it was game-changing play.

On if the blitzes make him feel out-of-wack…

That the corner’s job; they’re paying us to be out on “the island” and make plays. It was a tough break for me, he made a good move and scored. I just have to look past it and get ready for

Houston.

On if he’s surprised by his playing time…

Coming in, the coaches told me to keep working hard on technique and the fundamental things, and I would get my chance, and when I did get my chance to run with it.

On how important it is to move on…

You have to. I can’t keep dwelling over that play for the whole game. There was a lot of game left when we got the ball back, if the offense could go down and get a field goal, it would be a game again. I was never out of the game. As soon as I came back, the whole defense, even Chad Pennington, said, “Get it out of your head, we’re going to try and get some points on the board.” It was in the back of my head, but they did a good job of saying, “Don’t worry about it, we need you for the rest of the game.”

On why the defense has been playing so much better…

We’ve just been trying to get after people and not sit back, letting them pound us with the running game, take advantage of us and let them get us on our heels. We’ve been trying to get them off balance and create turnovers by changing it up and giving different looks.

On if he will change his cleats next Sunday…

Yeah, I’ll change my cleats next week. I’ll get some longer ones, and I might go to Reebok, I wore Nike last week.

On if the turf was slippery…

Bradley made a good move. Everyone was slipping the whole game, everyone slips on that turf, so I can’t sit here and blame it on the turf. He made a good move, it wasn’t a slick spot.

On why that field is so slippery…

It’s the little beads in it. They’re good traction if you actually catch the traction, but if you slip up a little bit, you don’t plant right, if you drop down on the side of your foot, you’ll slip. It’s very hard, you have to practice on it and get used to it.

New York Jets’ RB Cedric Houston, 11.20

On how his leg felt…

My leg was fine coming off the injury. I didn’t have any soreness after the game, and it just felt pretty good out there running yesterday.

On Chicago’s front seven…

It’s a great defense. Urlacher is bigger than I thought he was, he looks like he’s about 6’8” and 300 pounds, but it was good to get out there and get back in the flow of things.

On the hit Leon Washington took from Brian Urlacher…

He’s a big, fast guy, but Leon is a tough guy and I knew he would get right up and go back to the huddle.

On if he did enough to secure a spot in the running rotation…

You can never do enough, but it was good to get back out there and share carries with Kevan Barlow and Leon Washington and just get out there and try to make play. I think I did a pretty good job yesterday.

On the Jets’ good running game against a good defense…

The offensive line has been doing a great job all year. We just have to have a hat-for-a-hat, like Mangini says. Every time we have a hat-for-a-hat and everybody is blocking somebody, we usually have a good running game.

On getting back into the game…

I knew when I did get out there, I had to be effective. There wasn’t a sense of urgency, but I knew once I got in there, I had to make some plays.

New York Jets’ K Mike Nugent, 11.20

On the missed onsides kick…

If you don’t get it, it didn’t go the right way for us. I could have done a little better job of executing it. I hit it decently, just not well enough. I wanted the ball to get up in the air so we could get under it a little better. It was one of the calls that was really a surprise to them, no one had any clue that it was coming and we felt like it was a good time to execute it.

On one of the former Jets tipping off the Bears to the onsides kick…

I spoke to him (Darrell McClover) after the game and he said that he went over to the guy who caught the ball and said be ready for it. I’m not sure if it’s something they are always ready for all the time, so that might have been the case. I wasn’t really sure if he really picked up anything from it, I really couldn’t tell you.

On not going for a field goal from 50 yards…

The flags on top of the upright weren’t really saying much, but there was a little wind in our face and it was kind of tough to kick them from that point in warm ups.

On trying to get a higher bounce on an onsides kick being the luck of the draw…

No, not really. A lot of it is technique and it has a lot to do with your plant foot and the way you hit the ball. I hit it decent and it popped in the air decently, but not enough for what we needed with the way they were positioned.

On his field goal range…

The yard line would be the 36-37, that would be a 53-54 yard kick.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/rss/s_480710.html

Road to the playoffs

New York Jets (5-5, 4-4)

The Jets have already exceeded their win total from last season, and there's no reason to think that one of the NFL's most surprising teams this season will falter. None of the six teams left on the Jets' schedule has a winning record and have a combined mark of 21-39.

http://www.nj.com/jets/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1164092921278750.xml&coll=1

Mangini is sticking with Chad

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Much to the chagrin of some Jets fans, coach Eric Mangini said emphatically yesterday that Chad Pennington is his quarterback despite the recent slump in which he finds himself.

Pennington, who threw two interceptions that killed drives -- one in the end zone -- in Sunday's 10-0 loss to the Bears at Giants Stadium, has thrown five interceptions and just one touchdown in the past three games.

In the Jets' five wins, Pennington has thrown seven touchdowns and two interceptions. In their five losses, he has thrown three touchdowns and nine interceptions. His 11 interceptions this season are one shy of his career high in a season.

Pennington opened the season with back-to-back 300-yard passing games but he has failed to crack the 200-yard mark in his past six starts.

Most alarming are the interceptions. Pennington's strength is protecting the ball and making smart decisions on where to go with the ball. Throughout his career, his smarts have made up for his lack of arm strength and that's what is helping him hold on to his job now, especially in the Jets' no-huddle offense in which he calls plays at the line of scrimmage.

"Chad is the quarterback right now," Mangini said emphatically. "I thought there were a lot of decisions (Pennington made at the line of scrimmage -- run vs. pass play) I really liked in the game.

"There's a lot of things that Chad does that I appreciate as a coach, I really respect. I think he does a nice job. I'm sure he'd like to have that second interception (on a screen pass to tight end Chris Baker) back. I think the first interception (by Bears LB Brian Urlacher in the end zone) was really an outstanding play on their part."

The other reason Mangini is sticking with Pennington is because backup Patrick Ramsey may not be the answer and rookie Kellen Clemens isn't ready. The bottom would really have to fall out for Mangini to turn to Ramsey, who has disappointed many in the organization.

If Pennington continues to struggle and the Jets fall out of the postseason hunt, the Jets would likely play Clemens over Ramsey to give the rookie some experience and find out if he can play or not.

Mangini said yesterday that Pennington will continue to take the bulk of the reps in practice this week as the Jets (5-5) prepare to meet the Texans (3-7) on Sunday at Giants Stadium.

The coach also said that he doesn't sense any fatigue in Pennington, who'll make his 11th straight start against the Texans, one short of his career-high for consecutive regular-season starts.

Pennington, of course, is coming off his second rotator cuff surgery in as many seasons.

"I think physically he feels pretty good," Mangini said.

Pennington, who doesn't speak to the media on Mondays, said after the game on Sunday that the offense has "chemistry" problems.

"I think the good thing is it's not anything we can't fix," Pennington said. "It's just working through this system and getting back the rhythm and feel we had earlier in the season.

"It (the chemistry) is just a little bit off. Not hitting receivers, not being on the same pages as my receivers, just a little bit here and there that's causing the inconsistency."

Believe it or not, part of the problem appears to be the result of their improved running game.

Although the Jets struggled with their running game in Sunday's 10-0 loss to the Bears, they still gained over 100 yards rushing. And overall, they've rushed for more than 100 yards in six of their past seven games.

How is that a bad thing, you ask?

In the Jets' first three games, their running attack stalled. They didn't rush for 100 yards in any of those games and Pennington was forced to throw the ball and the passing game was clicking.

But when the running game began to produce, Pennington wasn't throwing the ball as much and he and his receivers began to slowly fall out of sync.

"Defenses have made some adjustments," guard Pete Kendall said. "Earlier in the season, the running game wasn't where it needed to be and I think we passed as much out of necessity than we did anything else. Now, we've been able to run the ball a little bit better."

Said tight end Chris Baker: "We just have to execute our offense. Our offense is hard to defend. We just have to execute it and, once we do that, we'll present those problems we presented earlier in the year to the defense."

Notes: Mangini said has no regrets about trying an onside kick to begin the second half against the Bears and would do it again. He said a "bit more height (on the kick by Mike Nugent) would've been good."...

Mangini said he has been pleased with the defense the past two weeks. The unit held the Patriots and Bears to a combined 24 points.... Kendall said he's not surprised fans are turning on Pennington after the Bears game. "I'm from the Northeast, too," he quipped. "I'm with you win or tie."...

Jets running back coach Jimmy Raye, a former Michigan State star who is in his 29th season as an NFL coach, is the subject of a campaign by members of the Spartans 1965-66 team to be interviewed for the upcoming head coaching vacancy. Current coach John L. Smith won't return following the season.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/ny-spjets214985316nov21,0,6338780.story?coll=ny-jets-print

Doubts about Chad

Pennington in a funk and says he's puzzled by inconsistent throws

BY TOM ROCK

Newsday Staff Writer

November 21, 2006

After a weekend in which dancing penguins ruled the box office, Eric "The Penguin" Mangini might have done some tap-dancing himself around the hottest topic in Jets-land.

"Chad's the quarterback right now," the coach said, referring to the struggling Chad Pennington, who threw a pair of game-busting interceptions in Sunday's 10-0 loss to the Bears and has 11 this season, one shy of his career high.

Mangini may have been emphasizing the first three words of that statement, but for a coach who tries to control every syllable of message that emerges from the franchise, it's the last two words that open some speculation about Pennington's future with the Jets - both this season and beyond.

Mangini, who has shown a penchant for shuffling his starters and distributing playing time based on how well they practice, said the quarterback position is no different from that of cornerback or safety, to name two that have been adjusted during this season.

"If someone earned the opportunity and somebody clearly distinguished themselves, then just like any other position, it would be evaluated," Mangini said of what it would take for him to pull Pennington in favor of backup Patrick Ramsey or rookie third-stringer Kellen Clemens. "There's not a special set [of rules] for one position or another."

Although the coach may have hedged on a full-blown vote of confidence, he did say he is happy with a lot of what Pennington does and gave him dispensation on the Brian Urlacher interception as a "great play" by the defender. Especially pleasing, he said, are Pennington's decisions at the line of scrimmage when choosing between the run and pass plays at his disposal.

"There are a lot of things that Chad does that I appreciate as a coach, that I really respect," he said. "I think he does a nice job."

Lately, "nice" hasn't been cutting it. Pennington has totaled zero touchdown passes and seven interceptions in the last three Jets losses. Even in recent wins, he hasn't been sharp. He's thrown at least one interception in each of the last four games, the longest streak of his career. It's gotten to the point that the eternally optimistic Pennington is unsure how to handle the slump.

"Physically, I feel good, but mentally, experiencing this is something I haven't experienced in my career, the inconsistency part," Pennington said Sunday. "That's something that I'm dealing with, and looking forward to as a challenge, to really bounce back and make something good happen."

He'll have a decent chance at bouncing back Sunday against the Texans, who allowed J.P. Losman to pass for 340 yards and three touchdowns in a Bills victory two days ago. Houston is ranked 25th in pass defense and the following opponent, Green Bay, is ranked 31st. If Pennington is incapable of putting up strong numbers against those defenses, Mangini could begin to waver on his already teetering support.

The statistics are damning, but the eye also can see that the on-field relationship between Pennington and his receivers is off. They call it chemistry, a tough-to-define concept that has more to do with feeling routes than running them.

The chemistry was there early in the season when Pennington opened with back-to-back 300-yard games, but it has been in decline since the Cleveland game. Even Pennington's once-special bond with playmaker Laveranues Coles seems askew, especially after the receiver ran up to the passer after Urlacher's end-zone interception to emphatically draw attention to the fact he was open on the opposite side of the field.

"Chemistry is a thing that just doesn't come," receiver Jerricho Cotchery said. "Once you have it, you have to continue to work at it so you can keep it. Somewhere along the line, it just got lost."

Brad Smith, who has been on both sides of the equation as a college quarterback and now a receiver for the Jets, said chemistry has a flow. "At times it's probably not as strong as at others," he said. "It happens. A great team has the ability to still win during that time."

Whether Mangini planted a seed of doubt about Pennington's future or merely dropped an innocent colloquialism into an otherwise definitive statement, few Jets players were willing to do anything other than support Pennington.

"It's not a surprise," guard Pete Kendall said of the questioning of Pennington's performance by media and fans. "That's the nature of the beast. That's the way it goes around here. I didn't seem to hear too many complaints last week [after a win over the Patriots]."

It's all about the QB

As Chad Pennington goes, so go the Jets:

Wins (5)

Game Comp-att Yards TD/INT QB rating

Titans 24-33 319 2/0 123.2

Bills 19-29 183 1/0 94.5

Dolphins 17-29 175 2/0 99.1

Lions 16-22 189 1/1 94.7

Patriots 22-33 168 1/1 76.3

Totals 98-' (.671) 1034 7/2

Losses (5)

Game Comp-att Yards TD/INT QB rating

Patriots 22-37 306 2/1 92.8

Colts 17-23 207 1/1 97.6

Jaguars 10-17 71 0/3 28.9

Browns 11-28 108 0/2 21.1

Bears 19-35 162 0/2 42.8

Totals 79-140(.564) 854 3/9

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/ny-spjnotes214985320nov21,0,7150459.story?coll=ny-jets-print

JETS NOTEBOOK

How little mistakes can add up

BY TOM ROCK

Newsday Staff Writer

November 21, 2006

There were glaring mistakes that cost the Jets the game Sunday, such as the two interceptions and the missed tackle by cornerback Drew Coleman. But mixed in were several uncharacteristic little flaws whose cumulative effects slowed the Jets.

The Jets were called for four false starts and one holding penalty on offense. They were flagged for hands to the face in the fourth quarter against nose tackle Rashad Moore, which turned what would have been a third-and-long into a Bears first down.

The Jets have used Chad Pennington's cadence to draw opponents offside all season, but Sunday was the first time the offense fell prey to the trickery. Even center Nick Mangold was called for flinching, creating a fourth-and-12 from the Bears' 37 and changing Eric Mangini's mind about going for it with 6:22 left in the game.

"That's something that we're going to continue to incorporate the rest of the season," Mangini said of Pennington's cadence. "We can't have multiple false starts."

Practice was perfect

Mangini said he was so impressed by the Jets' practice of the onside kick the last few weeks that if the Bears had won the toss and chosen to receive, he would have called for the play to open the game.

"A little bit more height would have been good," Mangini said of Mike Nugent's short kick that opened the second half and was fielded cleanly by Chris Harris.

As for the Bears' assertion that they knew the kick was coming because of personnel, Mangini still thought the Jets had a chance to recover it.

"I think it was more that it was a better play in terms of recovering a really difficult ball with four guys bearing down on you, and no real fact that they knew it was coming," he said.

Jet streams

Mangini confirmed that the Jets were in an all-out blitz on the 57-yard TD pass in which Coleman missed the tackle one-on-one against Mark Bradley. "Talk about an island, you're on it," Mangini said ... FB B.J. Askew did not play, but a person familiar with the situation said he will continue to work through his foot injury on a week-by-week basis.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/articles/show_permalink/houston-returns-to-the-ground

Houston Returns to the Ground

By John Beattie

Article Permalink: http://www.newyorkjets.com/articles/houston-returns-to-the-ground

Prior to Sunday’s clash with the Chicago Bears, Jets running back Cedric Houston had been an inactive regular since Week Five. On October 1, Houston was knocked out of the Colts game with a knee injury. While Houston sat, rookie ‘back Leon Washington flourished as the team’s leading rusher and Kevan Barlow has displayed a knack for finding the end zone.

However, a rejuvenated Houston, after a month of impressive work at practice, was given the ball Sunday from head coach Eric Mangini.

"The last three or four weeks, I was thinking I was going to play. I was happy. I had a big smile on my face all day," Houston said. "It felt good to put my jersey on, let alone play and have a good game.”

Houston’s prediction of his playing time was dead-on. Mangini took note of Houston’s quality work ethic.

“Cedric has had some real good weeks of practice and we had all three running backs up because we were committed to running the ball,” Mangini said. “He did a nice job with the action that he saw.”

The former Tennessee Volunteer has only appeared in three of the Jets’ ten games so far this season, but when healthy, Houston has proven to be a valuable asset to the running game. Houston was on pace for a career day that afternoon against the Colts, but a goal-line leg injury sidelined any momentum he had built for himself.

Houston acknowledged that it was important for him to make the most of his time against he Bears.

“I knew when I did get out there, I had to be effective,” Houston said. “There wasn’t a sense of urgency, but I knew once I got in there, I had to make some plays.”

The 6’0”, 220-pound back accounted for 50 of the Jets’ 109 rushing yards, including 36 in the first half alone. Houston’s 11 carries were second to rookie Leon Washington, who ran the ball a team-high 13 times and gained 22 yards.

“You can never do enough,” Houston said. “But it was good to get back out there and share carries with Kevan and Leon just try to get out there and make plays. I think I did a pretty good job.

“It is great to get out there and get some good, quality reps,” Houston added. “It is good to get out there and just get back into the flow of things.”

For an offense ranked 25th in the league, the Jets surprised the Bears and their NFL-best defense by exploding for 156 total yards in the opening half. The Jets were six yards from scoring on their third drive of the afternoon after marching 70 yards downfield. Houston’s number was called on five of the 13 plays, as the former sixth-round selection picked up 31 yards on the 6:31 march – the longest possession of the day for the Green and White.

“For the most part, we did a good job getting a hat-for-hat and gave the runners an opportunity to get through,” Mangini said of the running game in the first two quarters. “I thought Cedric did a really nice job with his opportunity. He had some good, physical runs; there were some positives there.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/story/473361p-398263c.html

Mangini won't 2nd-guess

Eric Mangini was so convinced the Jets were going to recover an onside kick against the Bears that he was prepared to try it at the start the game if they had lost the coin toss, he said yesterday.

The decision to start the second half with the onside kick backfired, as the Bears recovered. Predictably, Mangini defended the strategy, a key play in the 10-0 loss. He also came close to scoffing at the Bears' claims that they knew it was coming.

Smiling, Mangini said, "Maybe they recognized it - I couldn't tell you, you'd have to ask them. I think it was more that it was a better play in terms of recovering a really difficult ball ... and no real fact that they knew it was coming."

But on that particular play, the Jets' usual right-side personnel was lined up on the left, tipping off the Bears, or so they said.

Mangini said it might have worked if kicker Mike Nugent had gotten more height on the kick.

notebook.gif

ANDRE HURTING: CB Andre Dyson suffered what was described as a neck injury on a third-quarter collision with teammate Eric Smith. The Jets provided no update, but Dyson was scratched from a scheduled community-service appearance today, an indication he may need treatment for his injury. Dyson has been the Jets' most reliable cornerback, rarely coming off the field. He was replaced by Justin Miller, who had fallen out of the rotation in recent weeks.

SLIP SHOWING: Rookie CB Drew Coleman said a slippery field may have contributed to his spill on his critical missed tackle on Bears WR Mark Bradley, who turned a short pass into a 57-yard touchdown.

"Everyone was slipping the whole game," Coleman said. "Everyone slips on that turf, so I can't sit here and blame it on the turf."

The field was dry at Giants Stadium, but it's a FieldTurf surface that contains tiny chunks of rubber. Coleman said he's planning to wear different cleats for Sunday's game against the Texans. "I'll get some longer ones," he said. ... A week ago, Chad Pennington was hailed for outplaying Tom Brady in the New England mud. This week, he's getting ripped for two interceptions against the Bears. It's a fickle business. "I'm not surprised," LG Pete Kendall said of the dramatic shift. "I'm from the Northeast, too. I'm with you, win or tie."

FITS BILL: If the Jets don't have a big passing day against the Texans, they have big problems. The Texans, ranked 25th in pass defense, were shredded by the Bills' J.P. Losman, who threw for 340 yards - 209 in the first quarter. ... FB B.J. Askew, a Michigan alum, lost his wager to teammate Anthony Schlegel, formerly of Ohio State. Askew must shave his head by tomorrow.

Rich Cimini

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/story/473362p-398264c.html

Chad hanging by thread

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Tuesday, November 21st, 2006

Eric Mangini's first big quarterback decision wasn't really a decision at all. In training camp, Chad Pennington won the starting job, no contest. Mangini hopes he doesn't have to revisit that choice, but it could be going in that direction.

Pennington is mired in the worst six-game stretch of his career, leading to questions about his job security. Yesterday, Mangini backed the popular veteran, praising his intangibles, but the coach opened the door slightly when asked if he's considering a change.

"Chad is the quarterback right now," said Mangini, using the popular "right-now" qualifier that coaches lean on when trying to avoid a long-term commitment.

Pennington will start Sunday against the defensively challenged Texans (3-7), according to Mangini, who said backups Patrick Ramsey and rookie Kellen Clemens will get their "normal" amount of snaps in practice.

"There are a lot of things that Chad does that I appreciate as a coach, I really respect," Mangini said. "I think he does a nice job."

Clearly, Mangini wants to make it work with Pennington, one of the feel-good stories in the NFL. Ramsey, mediocre in the preseason, isn't an attractive alternative, another reason why Mangini is being patient with Pennington.

But what if the killer mistakes continue? The leash is getting shorter.

After a terrific start, Pennington's production has dipped dramatically. In the last six games, he's thrown nine interceptions and only four touchdown passes for a 57.8 passer rating - the lowest rating in his career over that many games.

Before last night, Pennington (76.8) was the 22nd-rated passer in the NFL. Suddenly, there are rumblings about his twice-repaired throwing shoulder, with questions about whether his arm strength has regressed since his spectacular opening-day performance in Tennessee.

"I don't see a lot of difference where Chad was then and where Chad is now," Mangini said. "I think he's done a good job. I think he'll continue to do a good job."

Mangini believes Pennington doesn't get enough credit for his ability to make the correct calls at the line of scrimmage. But one killer turnover can offset a series of clever audibles. Pennington admitted after Sunday's 10-0 loss to the Bears that he's struggling with his consistency.

Of Pennington's last nine interceptions, he should take the blame for six - three errant throws and three bad decisions. He was guilty of the latter on the second of two interceptions against the Bears, according to Mangini.

Under pressure on a tight-end screen, Pennington made a careless throw across his body into the general area of Chris Baker - a balloon ball that found cornerback Nathan Vasher.

"At that point, you just have to say, 'Uncle,' and throw it away," Mangini said.

Pennington's first interception, a throw to a well-covered Baker in the end zone, also appeared to be a questionable decision, especially with Laveranues Coles open in the opposite end of the end zone. But Mangini refused to pin that one on Pennington, crediting linebacker Brian Urlacher with a great read.

Mangini said he "understood where Chad was going and why he was going there." Asked if Pennington had the option of throwing to Coles, Mangini said, "The play over to Laveranues' side broke through and he had an option there. But the play inside didn't look bad, either."

Evidently, Coles thought otherwise. After Urlacher's interception, he ran up to Pennington and barked that he was open, an uncharacteristic display of frustration that could've been perceived as showing up his quarterback. Neither player wished to discuss the conversation after the game.

That Pennington and Coles, known for their on-field rapport, experienced that kind of moment symbolizes the state of the Jets' passing attack. The players blamed it on chemistry problems.

"Somewhere along the line, it kind of got lost," Jerricho Cotchery said. "But we're not in a panic mode right now."

http://www.nypost.com/seven/11212006/sports/jets/no_second_guessing_of_onside_kick_jets_mark_cannizzaro.htm

NO SECOND-GUESSING OF ONSIDE KICK

By MARK CANNIZZARO

November 21, 2006 -- After sleeping on it, Eric Mangini yesterday insisted that, if he had to do it all over again, he still would have called for the controversial onside kick the Jets attempted to start the second half of Sunday's 10-0 loss to the Bears.

Mangini, in fact, revealed this intriguing nugget yesterday: "If we lost the toss [for the opening kickoff] or it had gone the other way, we would have started the game with [the onside kick]."

Mangini explained his reason for the kick yesterday much the way he did after the game.

"It was really that I thought it was going to work. It wasn't about the offense [struggling] or about the defense [playing well]. I liked the play," he said yesterday.

"Watching it in practice, watching how we executed it, seeing what they were doing in terms of the return game, seeing the match-up we had, seeing the numbers we had, I really liked the play. Sometimes the plays you like don't work out the way you'd like them to."

Mangini did say that Mike Nugent's kick on the play could have been better.

"That's always a difficult kick," Mangini said. "It's one that he's improved on quite a bit. A little bit more height would have been good. There was decent height, but it could have been a little bit higher."

Rookie CB Drew Coleman was victimized on the 57-yard TD catch-and-run by Bears WR Mark Bradley. Coleman, who fell down covering Bradley with the Jets on an all-out blitz, insisted yesterday he has recovered from the disappointment of the game-turning play.

"On the way back home from the game I got over it," he said. "It was tough, but the game is over now and it's time to get back and get ready for Houston [sunday's opponent]. You could say I was out of control, but [bradley] made a good move and I slipped."

While it seemed Mangini didn't have confidence in Nugent when he chose to go for a first down on fourth-and-seven from the Chicago 32 during the fourth quarter, Nugent insisted yesterday that wasn't the case.

Nugent said, based on the winds at the stadium, he, Mangini and special teams coach Mike Westhoff decided that 48 to 50 yards was the kicker's limit going in that (East) direction. Going the other way, Nugent said, they figured he could make as long as a 54-yarder.

"It didn't seem like a really windy day, but on the field it was a little more windy than it looked," Nugent said. "It started kicking up once the game started. Late in the game we were thinking 'Try to get seven points first.' It would have been a tough one into the wind from 50 yards."

When asked about Chad Pennington's comments regarding a recent lack of chemistry with his receivers, Jets LG Pete Kendall said: "I'd defer to Chad on that. I don't have much to do with the receivers other than riding the bus with them over to the stadium.'"

http://www.nypost.com/seven/11212006/sports/jets/good_plan_gone_bad_jets_mark_cannizzaro.htm

GOOD PLAN GONE BAD

By MARK CANNIZZARO

November 21, 2006 --

QUARTERBACKS D Chad Pennington (19-of-35, 162 yards, two INTs, 42.8 rating) looked sharp at times, but his two INTs deep in Chicago territory were the difference.

RUNNING BACKS D Cedric Houston (11 for 50 yards) ran well but that was about it. Leon Washington (13-22) and Kevan Bar low (4-2) were ineffective.

WIDE RECEIVERS C Laveranues Coles (8-80) as usual made some tough catches. Jerricho Cotchery (3-25) had a quiet game. Tim Dwight (5-40, 28-yard reverse) was effective.

TIGHT ENDS C Chris Baker (1-3) had a quiet day.

OFFENSIVE LINE C Tough day with false starts from LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson and C Nick Mangold and a holding penalty from LG Pete Kendall.

DEFENSIVE LINE C+ DT Dewayne Robertson had five tackles, DE Bobby Hamilton had three as did DE Kimo von Oelhoffen. Quiet day for DE Shaun Ellis (two tackles).

LINEBACKERS B Victor Hobson and Jonathan Vilma each had team- high nine tackles. Did a decent job holding down the run ning game at times, though the result was 173 yards.

SECONDARY B Toughest day of all for CB Drew Coleman, who slipped and fell to allow Bears WR Mark Bradley to score the game's only TD.

SPECIAL TEAMS B Good job on coverage, not allowing Devin Hester to be a factor at all. Justin Miller averaged only 16 yards on three KO returns.

KICKING GAME B P Ben Graham had a good day (44.3 average; 34.7 net), but had three touchbacks. K Mike Nugent's onside kick attempt went a little too far for the Jets to recover.

COACHING D Another good defensive plan for Eric Mangini and de fensive coordinator Bob Sutton. The players applauded Mike Westhoff's onside kick try. Offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer kept the Bears' defense off balance early, but that rhythm waned.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/11212006/sports/jets/manginis_man_jets_mark_cannizzaro.htm

MANGINI'S MAN

By MARK CANNIZZARO

November 21, 2006 -- The radio lines were burning yesterday. The catcalls the day after the Jets' 10-0 loss to the Bears were for Chad Pennington's scalp.

You can make a valid argument that nothing cost the Jets more in the game than the two unsightly interceptions Pennington threw to the Bears, the first of which was to linebacker Brian Urlacher in the Chicago end zone - only Pennington's second interception in the red zone in 175 career attempts.

Pennington had gone his first 168 throws inside the red zone without being picked off. In his last seven attempts inside the 20, however, he has been intercepted twice, the previous one on an attempted fourth-down throw to tight end James Dearth against the Colts on Oct. 1.

Pennington's numbers have waned as the season has progressed, raising some concern in various corners of Jets Nation.

Pennington's recent struggles, of course, have the radio lines teeming with Monday morning quarterbacks who insist he no longer can be a winning quarterback.

Despite the rather damning numbers and the calls for his job, from coach Eric Mangini on through the Jets locker room yesterday, the support for Pennington has been unwavering.

"Chad will [continue to] be the starter; Chad is the quarterback right now," Mangini said yesterday. "There were a lot of decisions I really liked in the game. I think what gets lost a lot is a lot of the plays that Chad got us into. There were quite a few positive plays he got us into."

In his first two games this season, Pennington threw for 319 yards and 306 yards, respectively. In his first four games, he averaged 253.8 yards per game and was completing 67-percent of his passes with six touchdowns and only two interceptions.

In his last five games, Pennington has failed to eclipse the 200-yard mark passing.

In the Jets' last three losses - to the Jaguars (41-0), Browns (20-13) and Bears (10-0), Pennington's numbers have been abysmal. He has completed only 40-of-80 passes (50 percent) for 341 yards (113.7 yards per game) and has not thrown an touchdown pass while being picked off seven times.

Between the losses to the Browns and Bears, it should be noted, was a very strong performance in the Jets' victory over the Patriots last week. The overall numbers, though, are uncharacteristic of Pennington.

For the season, Pennington has 11 interceptions to go with his 10 touchdowns, an alarming amount considering the fact that his calling card since coming into the league has been his ability to avoid mistakes like interceptions.

Only three quarterbacks in the league - Pittsburgh's Ben Roethlisberger (17), Cleveland's Charlie Frye (12) and Detroit's Jon Kitna (12) - have been intercepted more often than Pennington.

Mangini scoffed at the notion that Pennington's arm is tired or not as strong as it was early in the season.

"I don't see a lot of difference where Chad was [earlier in the season] and where Chad is now," Mangini said. "He's done a good job and he'll continue to do a good job. The [ball] he should have thrown away is [the second interception] the one he threw across his body. The throw that Urlacher picked off, I thought [Pennington] made a really good read on the play. [urlacher] came over and made a really good catch and a really good read."

Jets left guard Pete Kendall noted Urlacher "ran from the other side of the field" to make the play.

"Chad has been, I don't think tremendous is too strong a word, throughout his career in the red zone," Kendall said.

Kendall, a native the Boston suburbs, said "it's not a surprise" to see the fans turning on Pennington after a loss and some struggles.

"I'm from the Northeast, too; I'm with you, win or tie," he said. "That's the nature of the beast, that's the way it goes around here. I didn't seem to hear too many complaints last week."

Tight end Chris Baker, the intended receiver on both interceptions Sunday, insisted Pennington will be "fine."

"He inspires a lot of confidence from us," Baker said. "He's our unquestioned leader."

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxMjEmZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTcwMjM4OTMmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

Chad's tentative situation

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

By RANDY LANGE

STAFF WRITER

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Two silly little words turned Eric Mangini's Monday assessment of Chad Pennington's recent play from a ringing endorsement into a "situation."

"Chad is the quarterback," the Jets coach said, "right now."

For those schooled in the Bill Parcells-Bill Belichick-Bill Clinton school of semantics, that doesn't sound like a clean bill of health.

Pennington has alternated weak offensive games with strong ones for the last month and a half. The latest bad boy came Sunday against Chicago, when he threw two interceptions and was shut out for the second time in his college/pro career.

Mangini, who gushed about Pennington in declaring him the winner of his four-man QB derby in August, was complimentary the day after the 10-0 loss, but only to a point.

"There were a lot of [his] decisions I really liked in the game," Mangini said. "There's a lot of things Chad does that I appreciate as a coach, I really respect. I think he does a nice job. I'm sure he'd like to have that second interception back. I think the first interception was really an outstanding play on their part."

But asked if he might at some time consider switching quarterbacks to Patrick Ramsey or rookie Kellen Clemens, Mangini fell back on his philosophy for all players and jobs on his team.

"If someone had earned the opportunity and someone had clearly distinguished himself, just like any other position, it would be evaluated," he said.

Maybe after another sleep-deprived night after a game, Mangini didn't mean to imply Pennington's job security was week-to-week. Then again, maybe he did.

Pennington, who was at the Jets' complex but didn't meet with reporters, talked after the game about losing chemistry with his receivers and being "just a little bit off.

"It's always disappointing when you lose and how we're losing right now, as far as being ineffective in the passing game," he said. "Right now we are experiencing some downfalls in it."

Some measures of the downfalls:

Since the second half of Game 4 vs. Indianapolis, the usually pinpoint Pennington has thrown four touchdown passes and 10 interceptions.

His six-game passer rating beginning with the 41-0 loss at Jacksonville is 57.8 -- the lowest rating for any six consecutive games in his seven-year career.

The Jets' passing offense has stagnated at 23rd for the last five weeks. The only week it was lower after a Chad start was when it was 24th following last year's Jaguars game -- during which Pennington tore his rotator cuff a second time.

Whatever the numbers say, Pennington's teammates say there is no controversy, no situation with them.

"Chad's one of the best quarterbacks in the league," wide receiver Tim Dwight said. "Everybody gets frothy after a loss."

"It's not a surprise," guard Pete Kendall said. "I'm from the Northeast. 'I'm with you win or tie.' "

And wideout Jerricho Cotchery explained the mysterious damaged connections as a unit-wide problem.

"Chemistry just doesn't come. Once you have it, you have to continue to work at it so you can keep it," Cotchery said. "Somewhere along the line it got lost, but we're not in panic mode. As long as we continue to work hard every day, we'll be fine."

Hard work could have its rewards this weekend against Houston, whose pass defense is 25th and yielded 340 yards at home to J.P. Losman and the Bills -- 209 of those yards in the first quarter.

But if the Jets should continue to fail their chemistry experiments down the stretch -- with an opponents' winning percentage of .350, they have the softest final six-game schedule in the NFL -- Pennington may need to pass an in-season QB pop quiz to remain at the offensive controls.

Sitting on a hot seat

Chad Pennington's key game-by-game passing statistics this season:

Opponent Pct. TD INT. Rating

At Tennessee 72.7 2 0 123.2

NEW ENGLAND 59.5 2 1 92.8

At Buffalo 65.5 1 0 94.5

INDIANAPOLIS 73.9 1 1 97.6

At Jacksonville 58.8 0 3 28.9

MIAMI 58.6 2 0 99.1

DETROIT 72.7 1 1 94.7

At Cleveland 39.3 0 2 21.1

At New England 66.7 1 1 76.3

CHICAGO 54.3 0 2 42.8

Season totals 61.9 10 11 76.8

http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061121/SPORTS01/611210366/1108/SPORTS01

Pennington's role won't be changed

By Andrew Gross

The Journal News

(Original Publication: November 21, 2006)

HEMPSTEAD - Chad Pennington emerged quickly from a four-way training-camp competition to regain his spot as the Jets' starting quarterback after rotator-cuff injuries wrecked his last two seasons.

Yesterday, coach Eric Mangini said his role would not be changing, despite a six-game stretch of inconsistency.

"I don't see a lot of difference where Chad was then and where Chad is now,'' Mangini said. "I think he'll continue to do a good job.''

So there will be no change in the practice pecking order of Pennington taking the first-team snaps, Patrick Ramsey entrenched as the backup and rookie Kellen Clemens biding his time as the third quarterback.

"I think if someone had earned the opportunity and someone had clearly distinguished themselves, just like any other position, it would be evaluated,'' Mangini said. "Chad is the quarterback right now. There's a lot of things that Chad does that I appreciate as a coach, I really respect.''

Pennington completed just 19 of 35 for 162 yards with two interceptions in Sunday's 10-0 loss to the Bears. The first, on third-and-goal from the 6-yard line, marked just the second red-zone interception of Pennington's career.

Of course, it was also his second this season. He had been picked off in the end zone on fourth-and-goal from the 2-yard line in a 31-28 loss to the Colts on Oct. 1.

"It's always disappointing when you lose, and how we're losing right now as far as being ineffective in the passing game,'' said Pennington, who opened the season with the first back-to-back 300-yard games of his career. "Especially after the success we experienced earlier in the season when our passing game was carrying us and helping us stay in games, giving us a chance to win.''

The Jets (5-5) have been shut out twice in a six-game stretch during which Pennington has thrown nine interceptions and just four touchdowns. His 11 interceptions this season are one short of his career high.

Tight end Chris Baker - the intended target on both of Pennington's interceptions against the Bears - said Pennington still inspires confidence and remains the team's "unquestioned'' leader. However, left guard Pete Kendall is not surprised that Pennington's status would be questioned, especially with Pennington and his receivers admitting to a recent lack of chemistry.

"I'm from the Northeast, too. I'm with you win or tie,'' Kendall said. "That's the nature of the beast. I didn't seem to hear too many complaints last week (after a 17-14 win at New England).''

Rookie wide receiver Brad Smith, a quarterback at Missouri, said losing chemistry with receivers is not unusual for quarterbacks.

"The great team has the ability to find a way to still win during that time,'' Smith said.

Pennington insisted he felt fine physically on Sunday, something Mangini repeated yesterday. Then again, Pennington's 10th straight start marked just the second time in his career he's reached that plateau in a season. He started 14 straight, including the postseason, in 2002, his first year as a starter.

Notes:

Kicker Mike Nugent said that although winds were recorded at 5 mph Sunday, it was windier on the field, particularly toward the east end of Giants Stadium. That was one reason Mangini elected to punt on fourth-and-12 from the Bears 37 with 6:22 left in the game. Nugent said his range was up to 55 yards kicking toward the west end, but 50 yards toward the east. … Rookie cornerback Drew Coleman said he was considering switching to longer cleats after slipping on the FieldTurf on Mark Bradley's 57-yard touchdown catch. "He made a good move, and everybody was slipping the whole game. You can't blame the turf,'' Coleman said. "It's turf, and they have the little (rubber) beads on it. Its good traction when you catch the traction, but you can slip up a little bit if you don't plant right or jump in on the side of your foot. You have to practice on it." … Baker, a Queens native, and teammates Tim Dwight, Matt Chatham, Brad Kassell, James Hodgins and Cody Spencer will be at the Neighbors Together Soup Kitchen in the Brownsville section of Brooklyn today, as the Jets have partnered with the Food Bank for New York City to distribute 100 turkeys.

Jets Visit Children’s Hospital at Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital

By Marissa Shorenstein

Article Permalink: http://www.newyorkjets.com/articles/jets-visit-children-s-hospital-at-robert-wood-johnson-university-hospital

On Tuesday, November 14th four members of the New York Jets traveled to New Brunswick, New Jersey, to visit patients at the Bristol-Myers Squibb Children’s Hospital at Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital.

Wide receiver Brad Smith, defensive lineman Titus Adams, linebacker Anthony Schlegel and Team Chaplain, former Jet, Dave Szott made the trek over two bridges on their day off from the Long Island training facility to New Jersey to help brighten the day of those in need.

“It was great for me, personally to see the kids who are having a tough time and to come out and encourage them all with a couple of words, signing some autographs or handing out ice cream,” said Smith. “It is good to be able to help somebody else.”

The ice cream Smith was referring to was the New York Jets Sundae Blitz which was provided by Turkey Hill as part of an ice cream social held for the patients and families during the visit.

Titus Adams added, “I think it is important to get out in the community and help as much as you can, especially being a New York Jets football player. I might be able to bring a smile to a person’s face and it brings a smile to my face when I see others happy. It might not mean that much to me, but it is a lot to them and I am more than happy to help out.”

I think it is important to go and visit the children because of all of the things that they are going through,” explained Schlegel. “Maybe we can change up the pace of the day and put some smiles on their faces. It is not only them that go through this ordeal, but their families. If you can just go there and give them a couple of moments to just smile and take their minds off of what is going on.”

Throughout the year the Jets make four visits to the Bristol-Myers Squibb Children’s Hospital at Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital.

Jets Women’s Organization Serves at Interfaith Nutrition Network

By Marissa Shorenstein

Article Permalink: http://www.newyorkjets.com/articles/jets-women-s-organization-serves-at-interfaith-nutrition-network-

The Jets Women’s Organization (JWO) started their Thanksgiving celebration a week early this holiday season. On Thursday, November 16th the JWO went to the Mary Brennan Interfaith Nutrition Network (INN) located in Hempstead, NY. Jets player’s wives and significant others spruced up the dining room with fruit and thanksgiving decorations.

After turning the dining hall into a room fit for a feast the JWO served food to more than 400 people in need who showed up at the INN’s doors on Thursday. The Interfaith Nutrition Network addresses the issues of hunger and homelessness on Long Island by providing food, shelter, long-term housing and supportive services in a dignified and respectful manner. They are a not-for-profit, volunteer-based organization with a dedicated staff, a broad base of community support and a commitment to educate the public about these issues.

"It was such an honor and pleasure for the Jets Women's Organization (JWO) to visit the Mary Brennan Inn today to serve a holiday meal for over 400 guests", said Julie Mangini, wife of Jets Head Coach Eric Mangini. "Without the support of Davis Vision, the JWO would not be able to contribute to so many wonderful charitable events like this one."

The Jets Women’s Organization is an organization comprised of the wives, fiancées and significant others of New York Jets players, coaches and select football support staff members. The Jets Community Relations Department oversees this organization with the assistance of the Julie Mangini and Michelle Tannenbaum. Founded in 2001, the mission of the organization is to build goodwill in the Tri-State community through active volunteer participation. The JWO seeks to team up with select charities to assist in maximizing the impact of their events. Davis Vision is a proud supporter of the JWO’s charitable efforts.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6191582

Adam Schein

The Bears might just be the best team in football heading into Thanksgiving. Chicago is 9-1 after blanking the Jets 10-0. Tied at 0, Eric Mangini made a very curious decision to go for the low percentage on-sides kick to start the 3rd quarter. This after the Bears got into Jets territory once in the first half and Rex Grossman threw for -1 yards!! The timing was odd with the Jets defense playing so well.

Chad Pennington tossed two awful looking picks, the big difference in this game. He has played very poorly now in 2 of the last 3 games.

What filthy scumbag unstuck my thread?

Smizzy? You can't hide from me, you friggin' creep. Yes, I ate your half sandwich out of the JN refrigerator. It was ME. HAHAHA. You gave Faba that Indian burn for nothing! NOTHING!!!

Bitch.

Man I read posts like this and I would swear that Tom Shane wrote it. I love this post.

I know Sperm is not Tom. He wouldn't make out with me at the last staff meeting.

Sperm, I never noticed this until yesterday, do you do this every day? This looks like a hell of a lot of work man, and it's great that you're doing it. It just seems like too much though. I can just drop by here and start scrolling down throughout the day, rather than checking multiple websites for it.

No one is going to read this here, but, how do people expect Clemens to show he is ready from practice when he barely gets any snaps, and chances are the other players don't even take his snaps very seriously? How much can you learn taking a couple snaps a week in practice?

Sperm, I never noticed this until yesterday, do you do this every day? This looks like a hell of a lot of work man, and it's great that you're doing it. It just seems like too much though. I can just drop by here and start scrolling down throughout the day, rather than checking multiple websites for it.

No one is going to read this here, but, how do people expect Clemens to show he is ready from practice when he barely gets any snaps, and chances are the other players don't even take his snaps very seriously? How much can you learn taking a couple snaps a week in practice?

Yes, the articles are here every day. Doesn't take me too long & people seem to read them & I don't mind. SoFlaJets usually helps me out by posting them on weekends or when I'm unable to. Click here & you'll see the previous threads.

If you reply to an aritcle, you can put it these threads, but sometimes I post more articles later on & the comments get buried. If you want to comment on an article, just copy the whole article & start a new thread. Don't worry about the redundancy. The idea behind this was not starting 20 new threads a day & have people comment on maybe 1 or 2 of them, with the rest of them just taking page-one space (all at once) & bumping 15-20 other threads to page two.

And I agree on Clemens. Maybe we have to consider the possibility that the coaching staff, at least at this point, thinks he stinks. He's still behind Ramsey.

Yes, the articles are here every day. Doesn't take me too long & people seem to read them & I don't mind. SoFlaJets usually helps me out by posting them on weekends or when I'm unable to. Click here & you'll see the previous threads.

If you reply to an aritcle, you can put it these threads, but sometimes I post more articles later on & the comments get buried. If you want to comment on an article, just copy the whole article & start a new thread. Don't worry about the redundancy. The idea behind this was not starting 20 new threads a day & have people comment on maybe 1 or 2 of them, with the rest of them just taking page-one space (all at once) & bumping 15-20 other threads to page two.

And I agree on Clemens. Maybe we have to consider the possibility that the coaching staff, at least at this point, thinks he stinks. He's still behind Ramsey.

I'd like to say thanks to Sperm for doing this every day. It makes it much easier for me since I'm out of the area. When I'm home I read the Times, News and Post every day and usually Newsday. Now I don't have to do website hopping. Glad Smizzy got this stickied again ASAP. I don't think Clemens only takes 1 or 2 snaps a week. I think he runs the scout team which means he spends most of his time mimicking the opposing week's qb, but should in actuality run more snaps than #2. Not with our playbook though. Still might mean they think he stinks though.

Archived