Saturday's Jets News

SoFlaJets

Jets' versatile Thomas gets contract extension

Saturday, December 2, 2006

By J.P. PELZMAN

STAFF WRITER

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Eric Mangini has been lavishing praise on Bryan Thomas almost since the beginning of training camp for his nearly seamless transition to a standup linebacker. On Friday, the Jets gave the fifth-year pro a much more tangible reward, signing him to a contract extension.

The extension is for five years and $25 million, according to an NFL source, with $9 million up front. The Jets waited until their media access to players and Mangini was over before announcing the signing.

"It's exciting," said Brian Mackler, Thomas' Tenafly-based agent. "Bryan had a strong, strong desire to stay here. Even though free agency is a couple of months away and the possibility of getting a little more money was an option to him, he decided he wanted to retire a Jet. He likes the direction the team is going in.

"I give coach Mangini and [general manager] Mike Tannenbaum a lot of credit. It worked out well for both parties."

Thomas, the 22nd overall pick of the 2002 draft out of Alabama-Birmingham, had been somewhat of a disappointment as a defensive end in his first four seasons, although he did have 3.5 sacks in 2005 and had become a solid run defender.

When Mangini decided to switch the Jets' base defense to a 3-4, he recast Thomas in the role of a defensive end-linebacker, with the emphasis on the linebacker role. It has been a much better fit, as Thomas already has five sacks, including a single-game high of two in the victory over Houston on Sunday.

Earlier in the week, Mangini said of Thomas, "He has a better feel for being on his feet all the time, in terms of the base defense, a better feel for dropping the coverage, a better sense of rushing the passer from an outside linebacker position as opposed to a down guy. He's stouter versus the run. He just builds a little bit each week and it's not the easiest position in the world to master."

"I am excited about the present and future of this team," Thomas said in a statement. "This is where I started my career and I am grateful that the Jets believe in me."

When reached on his cellphone, Thomas chose not to comment further.

Revolving door

Andre Dyson has started all 11 games at left cornerback, and likely will start there again Sunday at Green Bay. But the Jets have employed four different starters at right cornerback, with Hank Poteat becoming the most recent one against Houston. Justin Miller, David Barrett and Drew Coleman also have started at the position.

"It's not like we're playing hand in hand," Dyson said with a smile when asked if it has been difficult to play with so many different cornerbacks on the opposite side. "I feel comfortable with whoever's out there in the secondary. We're all in the same meeting room. We all communicate. We rotate a lot in practice, so I think that helps us a lot. As long as we're all on the same page, it doesn't matter who's out there."

Will it be Poteat again this week? He said he doesn't know, and Mangini declined to tell reporters Friday.

"You'd have to ask Coach Mangini," Poteat said. "I go out there every day and prepare as if I'm going to be the starter. If the opportunity comes, I'll be ready."

Staff Writer Randy Lange contributed to this article.

Poteat hopes he's found a home

By BRIAN HEYMAN

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: December 2, 2006)

HEMPSTEAD - Hank Poteat thinks he set the record back around the time of the Jets' preseason finale against the Eagles - shortest stay with an NFL team.

"That was definitely a record," he said. "I came on Thursday, played Friday and was gone Saturday."

Actually, the defensive back got cut by two teams in the span of four days because the Patriots had waived him before the Jets signed him. He couldn't help but smile after sustaining the second cut so soon after arriving.

"I just thought it was funny," Poteat said. "I was just appreciative of the opportunity that I had. I was just released, and then I came to another team and got a chance to play a whole game at the corner spot. I felt like I did pretty good. That's the only thing I could do is do what I have control of."

But coach Eric Mangini had Poteat for parts of the previous two seasons as the defensive coordinator in New England, and wanted to expose him to the Jets' staff should there be a later need. He told Poteat he did a good job and to stay in shape. Sure enough, after a two-and-out stint back with the Patriots, the Jets re-signed him on Oct. 11.

And now this player from the NFL fringe has entered their revolving door at right cornerback.

Poteat became the fourth starter Mangini has used there in the last four games when he opened last Sunday's 26-11 win over the Texans. The Jets' defense has been improved the last three weeks on the way to 6-5, but the search goes on for consistency at that position.

Mangini wouldn't say yesterday whether Poteat would start again in tomorrow's game vs. Brett Favre and the Packers in Green Bay, but Poteat seemed to hold up his end in his first start.

Opportunity has been knocking for him at that revolving door.

"As someone earns that spot and takes control of it, then it will be theirs," Mangini said. "But each week, really with every spot, there's opportunity to maintain the position, there's opportunity to gain the position. And I think that's what makes the weeks that much more fun for everybody."

Justin Miller started three of the first four games at the spot. Then Mangini went to rookie Drew Coleman for three games. Then Miller started in Week 8. David Barrett, the Week 3 starter, opened the following game. Then came Coleman's turn again in the 10-0 loss to the Bears, the game in which he slipped while defending on the lone touchdown.

Enter Poteat into the big picture.

"One of the things I like about Hank," Mangini said, "is that he always works on doing it the right way. ... He's very consistent in trying to execute the things that we ask him to execute. I like his toughness. He's very competitive, and he's a really good person on top of all that."

The 5-foot-10, 195-pounder from Harrisburg, Pa., made six tackles against Houston and provided some tight coverage against Andre Johnson on an incomplete throw by David Carr to the end zone from the Jets 33 in the first quarter.

"He's someone who learned from his past mistakes and came here and has taken advantage of his opportunities," said Andre Dyson, who has started 10 of the 11 games at left corner. "As you can see, he's getting more playing time because of that."

The Steelers brought Poteat into the league as a third-round pick out of Pittsburgh in 2000 and played him mostly as a returner and some in the nickel and dime packages over three seasons before letting him go. Since then, he has been in and out of the league.

He played one game for the Buccaneers in 2003, then no regular-season games in 2004 after the Panthers cut him in the preseason. New England picked him up for the postseason, and he had a role in all three games, including a significant one at corner in the AFC title-game win over Pittsburgh. He played mostly on special teams in the ring-winning performance against Philadelphia in Super Bowl XXXIX.

"It was something you worked hard for, something you had dreamed about since you were a little child," Poteat said about playing that night in Jacksonville, Fla. "Getting the opportunity to be out there on that stage was a great feeling."

The Patriots cut him near the end of the 2005 preseason, then brought him back that October for the final 10 games, using him as a nickel back. But when they cut him this October, it marked the seventh time in his career that he had been waived.

The journey to becoming No. 31 in green and white hasn't been easy.

"Early in my career, it was difficult," Poteat said. "But I look at every situation now as a blessing because it helped me develop as a player and as a person. I just grew through each experience."

Now he would love to finally plant some roots in this team's grounds.

"It's always a blessing to be with one team, especially when you have a family," Poteat said. "Going back and forth, sometimes that affects the family. But it would definitely be nice."

Reach Brian Heyman at bheyman@lohud.com.

Jets give Thomas five-year extension

By BRIAN HEYMAN

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: December 2, 2006)

HEMPSTEAD - The Jets weren't about to wait for the offseason to try to strike a deal with one of their own players. They ran the proactive option to wrap up one of their linebackers yesterday, signing unrestricted free agent-to-be Bryan Thomas to a five-year contract extension.

Thomas hadn't lived up to his 2002 first-round billing before this season. He had just 6 1/2 sacks in his first four years, which were spent mostly as a backup defensive end. He had made a Conference USA-record 35 sacks at Alabama-Birmingham.

But coach Eric Mangini converted him into the starting weak-side linebacker in his 3-4 scheme, and Thomas has responded with a solid season, his best to date. He has made 58 tackles and delivered a career-high five sacks, including two in last Sunday's win over the Texans and four in the last three games.

"Bryan's approach and hard work both on the field and in the classroom earned him this opportunity," Mangini said. "He's done everything we've asked of him, and he exemplifies the type of player we want on defense. Bryan is a versatile player who we can count on each week to make plays."

Thomas, who also plays end when the Jets switch on occasion to a 4-3, has been working on a base salary this season of $585,000. It's the final year of his original five-year, $6.6 million deal. The financial terms of the new deal were undisclosed, but agent Brian Mackler's statement said Thomas possibly could have earned more on the free-agent market.

"I've enjoyed my time being a Jet, and I am excited about the present and the future of this team," Thomas said. "This is where I started my career and I am grateful that the Jets believe in me."

Frozen tundra: The weather.com forecast for Green Bay tomorrow, which previously called for snow flurries, was changed yesterday to partly cloudy with a high of 29.

The Jets have been expecting the worst at the "frozen tundra" that is Lambeau Field. Mangini even showed the team a video before practice about the "Ice Bowl" game there when the Packers beat the Cowboys 21-17 for the NFL title on Dec. 31, 1967. It was minus-13 for the opening kickoff with a wind chill of 46 below.

Punter Ben Graham said the football "doesn't have any explosion" and "feels dead" to him in cold weather.

"We're preparing the best we can," Graham said. "It's pretty windy out here today and this week. It's just all about the warm-up and making sure we kick in every possible situation we might face during the game. I punted in some snow last year and some wind and some rain.

"Growing up in Geelong, Australia, in the middle of winter, it does get windy and wet. It doesn't snow. That's just part of the experience. We're just going to make the most of it."

Musical interlude: Mangini has the music cranked up during practices to prepare the players for the noise they will face on game days. So the Jets were greeted at their latest practice by an Elroy and the Diehards song: "We love Brett Favre."

Thomas has whole new deal

BY KRISTIE ACKERT

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Bryan Thomas is thriving in football and finances since Eric Mangini made him a linebacker in Jets' new 3-4 defense.

For the first four years, Bryan Thomas, a first-round draft pick in 2002, seemed to be searching for where he fit in on the Jets. Picked as a defensive end out of the University of Alabama-Birmingham, Thomas never made the impact the Jets had hoped - until this year. With the new coaching regime and its 3-4 defensive scheme, Thomas was moved to outside linebacker and seems to fit in well enough that the Jets now envision him there well into the future.

They demonstrated as much yesterday by signing Thomas to a lucrative contract extension.

Thomas' new deal is for five years, and it could be worth as much as $25 million if Thomas hits all his escalators. The deal includes a $9million signing bonus. Thomas would have been the Jets' only significant free agent at season's end.

The Jets announced the deal after the locker room had closed to the media, but the team released an official comment from Thomas:

"I've enjoyed my time being a Jet and I am excited about the present and future of this team," Thomas said. "This is where I started my career and I am grateful that the Jets believe in me. I look forward to achieving success under the leadership of (owner Woody) Johnson, (GM) Mike Tannenbaum and Coach (Eric) Mangini."

Thomas' success with the Jets truly is a recent development. In his first four years, Thomas amassed a total of 6-1/2 sacks. He has five already this season, including two of Houston QB David Carr last week.

Thomas has said the new position has become more comfortable each week for him. It is something Mangini also has made note of.

"He has a better feel for being on his feet all the time, in terms of the base defense, a better feel for dropping into the coverage, a better sense of rushing the passer from an outside linebacker position as opposed to a down guy," Mangini said of Thomas' transition. "He's stouter versus the run. He just builds a little bit each week, and it's not the easiest position in the world to master: when you're going to rush, when you drop, you could slide down to a defensive end. There are a lot of multiples there."

Thomas is having by far his most productive season as a pro. In addition to leading the team in sacks, he's made 58 tackles - 45 solo - and has a fumble recovery.

"Bryan's approach and hard work both on the field and in the classroom earned him this opportunity," Mangini said. "He's done everything we've asked of him and he exemplifies the type of player we want on defense."

THIS IS AUS-SOME: Jets punter Ben Graham will be taking in all the sights as the Jets travel to Green Bay. "The Green Bay Packers are one of the most well-known teams in Australia," said Graham, who hails from Down Under. "Lambeau Field is a tourist attraction. I'll be bringing my camera."

He even said he was excited about the prospect of playing on the "frozen tundra," after Mangini showed the 1967 Ice Bowl in the team's morning meeting.

Mighty Dwight plays supporting role to the hilt

BY BOB HERZOG

STAFF WRITER; Staff writer Tom Rock contributed to this story.

December 2, 2006

Tough guy, that Tim Dwight. "When you're 5-foot-8 and weigh 180 pounds, you've got to be," the Jets' reserve wide receiver and primary punt returner said Friday. "I'm respectful of everybody, but I'm not afraid of anybody."

Intense guy, that Tim Dwight. "He's just wired in a very impressive way," Jets coach Eric Mangini said of Dwight, a free-agent signee who played for the Patriots in 2005 when Mangini was New England's defensive coordinator. "I got to know Tim, him being on the offensive side and me being on the defensive side. I always admired the way he approached things."

Energetic guy, that Tim Dwight. "He's fearless. He's got that high motor that doesn't stop," Mangini said.

Dwight's motor doesn't idle much and that was the case even back in his high school days in Iowa City, when Dwight was being recruited by University of Iowa assistant coach Mike Devlin, now an assistant offensive line and tight ends coach under Mangini.

"When Mike was recruiting Tim and Tim came for a visit," Mangini recalled, "he insisted that they open the gym at 6 a.m. because he needed to get his workout in prior to the recruiting visit."

That toughness, intensity and energy has given Dwight, 31, a nine-year NFL career with stops in Atlanta, San Diego and New England before coming to the Jets. He once was a high-profile player with the Chargers, catching 50 passes in 2002, with a career-best 12.2 average as a punt-returner and another 108 yards rushing on an assortment of end-arounds and reverses.

With the Jets, he acknowledges he's a role player, "just trying to do my thing." That "thing" includes 16 receptions for 112 yards as the fourth wide receiver (five catches against the Bears), plus a solid 10.4 average on punt returns, his highest since 2002. Nine of his 16 catches have been on third down, with five converted into first downs. He also had a fourth-down catch for a first down against Chicago.

"I'm not worried about the number of catches I get," Dwight said. "We have other weapons - L.C. , Coco and Justin [McCareins]. You've got to account for those guys on the field because they can make plays. I'm the one that's usually lined up against the least-best cover guy."

With his motor running, raring to go.

Thomas gets 5-year extension. Defensive end-turned-outside linebacker Bryan Thomas, flourishing in his first season in Mangini's 3-4 defense and leading the Jets with five sacks, was rewarded with a five-year extension Friday. Brian Mackler, Thomas' agent, said his client is "very happy and very wealthy." The package could be worth as much as $25 million, with $9 million guaranteed, including a signing bonus. Thomas, signed as a first-round draft choice out of UAB in 2002, would have become a free agent after this season.

Staff writer Tom Rock contributed to this story.

Sunday

Jets at Green Bay

1 p.m.

TV: Ch. 2

Radio: WABC (770), WEPN (1050), WRCN (103.9)

THOMAS INKS 5-YEAR EXTENSION

By DAN MARTIN

December 2, 2006 -- Once-maligned defensive end Bryan Thomas signed a contract extension with the Jets yesterday, reportedly for five years.

Thomas was selected in the first round by the Jets in 2002 and has become more productive this season.

In his fifth-year, he has already recorded a career-high five sacks, which leads the team, and 58 tackles. He would have been eligible for free agency after this year.

"This is where I started my career and I am grateful the Jets believe in me," the 27-year-old Thomas said in a statement.

Earlier in the week, head coach Eric Mangini praised Thomas.

"He has a better feel for being on his feet all the time," said Mangini, who installed a 3-4 defense that has helped Thomas improve. "A better feel for dropping into coverage, a better sense of rushing the passer from an outside linebacker position as opposed to a down guy."

BAYWATCH:Jets center Nick Mangold says of playing the Packers in what will likely be a frigid Green Bay on Sunday, "You can't worry about Lambeau Field. If you do, you won't play your game."

Jets' Thomas gets extension

Saturday, December 02, 2006

BY DAVID GURNEY

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Bryan Thomas found a system that suited him and it has paid off handsomely.

The defensive end/linebacker and the Jets agreed to a contract extension, it was announced yesterday.

General manager Mike Tannenbaum and Thomas' agents Brian Mackler and Alan Herman finalized terms on a five-year, $25 million extension that includes a $9 million signing bonus.

The contract was the finishing touch on three days of negotiations that ended late Thursday night. Thomas was in the final year of his contract and would have become an unrestricted free agent in the off-season.

"We're happy and the Jets are happy," Herman said. "Bryan is fitting in beautifully in the new system and he's happy with the Jets. I applaud Mike Tannenbaum for moving early on this.

"Not many players in the upcoming free-agent class can do what Bryan can in rushing the passer and dropping back in coverage. If the Jets had waited, they would've probably had to pay much more to keep Bryan. It's a great deal for the Jets and a great deal for us."

Thomas has already posted a career high in sacks this season with a team-leading five and also has 58 tackles and a fumble recovery. The fifth-year pro has started in 30 of the 72 games he's played as a Jet and in all 11 this season.

Thomas has thrived in the 3-4 defensive alignment rookie head coach Eric Mangini has installed.

With 6 1/2 sacks and 150 career tackles heading into this season, the former 22nd overall pick in 2002 had been considered a disappointment before this year.

"We're pleased that Bryan Thomas is going to remain a Jet," Tannenbaum said in a press release. "He has worked very hard and developed in our program. We agree that it's a fair deal for both sides."

Leaving It All on the Practice Field

Barton Silverman/The New York Times

Practice-squad players work hard behind the scenes so that the people in the spotlight can look their best.

By KAREN CROUSE

Published: December 2, 2006

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y., Dec. 1

COLD FEAT

JETS HOPE OUTDOOR PRACTICES HELP THEM MAKE THE LAMBEAU LEAP

By DAN MARTIN

For the Packers, he picked the famed "Ice Bowl." The Dec. 31, 1967 game was won by the Packers, 21-17, in some of the worst conditions imaginable. With the victory, Green Bay advanced to Super Bowl II.

"It was a little bit to demystify Lambeau Field," Mangini said.

dan.martin@nypost.com

if you were going to demystify Lambeau, how about showing the Packers getting trounced at home. Seems that would make more sense

Archived