Sorry Jetcane-Just had to

Scott Dierking

He had a Richard Todd-like game that day. Seriously, that was one of the worst losses any of my teams ever experienced. Right up there with the Mud Bowl, the 98 AFC CG, and the 2003 Fiesta.

The 98 team went far, but it was all supposed to come together in 99. I was in the house that opening day when he went down with the Achilles. The rest of the game felt like it was played in the Twilight Zone. Everyone was just numb and felt like we had just taken one up the wazoo.

BTW SD, the article does make mention of the infamous steak fry racist incident, which you said you had never heard of when we were smack talking to each other a few weeks ago. Though it soft-sells it, the article makes it clear that something bad did happen there.

Both teams attended a steak fry, where they were supposed to deliver a brief skit. Penn State's players wore suits and ties. Miami's players wore their black sweat suits, only because, Highsmith insists, the Fiesta Bowl officials told them to. The Penn State punter, John Bruno, made a couple of jokes, dragged out a garbage can labeled with masking tape as Jimmy Johnson's Hair Spray, and made a crack about how much racial harmony there was at Penn State: "We're one big family," he said. "We even let the black guys eat with us at the training table once a week."

It was a lot worse than that, but for the good of the "good v evil" matchup, it was buried by the media.

BTW SD, the article does make mention of the infamous steak fry racist incident, which you said you had never heard of when we were smack talking to each other a few weeks ago. Though it soft-sells it, the article makes it clear that something bad did happen there.

It was a lot worse than that, but for the good of the "good v evil" matchup, it was buried by the media.

JC-You say that players came out in "black face" which I have not seen written anywhere.

I never said Penn State players were saints, but by comparison........

Archived