Jets plan to build on last season's success (Fox Sports)

SoFlaJets

Adam Schein / FOXSports.com

It's become the New York Jets' time of year.

We spent some quality time with Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum at the Combine in Indy, discussing the types of players who can help the Jets and how New York plans on building a winner.

Let's examine how the Jets have improved significantly under Tannenbaum and Eric Mangini, and the thought process in building upon their impressive 2006 season.

Free agency game plan

We expect the Jets to be significant players this off-season with about $25 million in cap room.

Tannenbaum couldn't comment on Michael Turner, but the Chargers running back, who is a restricted free agent, is a perfect fit. It was legal for the general manager to smile when we mentioned his name.

Turner knows offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer well from their days together in San Diego. And the Jets have four Day 1 picks, including Washington's second rounder, after Tannenbaum fleeced the Skins with a draft day deal last year (authorities in D.C. are still looking for him after this robbery). That extra second-round pick would help work a transaction with San Diego.

The Jets really need a carry-the-mail runner and LaDainian Tomlinson's backup could fit the bill, with Leon Washington being the third-down back.

And yes, Tannenbaum gave me the credit and needled me for first-guessing the Kevan Barlow deal, his only blemish during his fantastic first season as general manager. Barlow was a major disappointment and was recently released.

Adalius Thomas would be an ideal fit in Mangini's 3-4 defense, helping disrupt the quarterback. Thomas is one of the most versatile and effective defensive players. He gets to the quarterback, can stop the run and also drop back in coverage. Signing him would be a major upgrade for a defense that occasionally lacked a pass rush. Thomas has all the characteristics Mangini looks for in players and fits his defense perfectly. Baltimore will try to re-sign Thomas, but he'll be highly coveted, with San Francisco and maybe New England and Green Bay also getting involved.

Receiver Jerricho Cotchery, who is a free agent after the 2007 season and emerged this past year as a major weapon with his great hands and hard work, is likely also in the cards.

Last year, in Tannenbaum's first season as general manager and Mangini's initial run as a head coach, the Jets placed a premium on character and hard work.

It became the blueprint for a "Mangini player."

The Jets use the combines to conduct extensive interviews. New York stresses and emphasizes this element of the Combine more than most teams. The brass and coaches look for players who have leadership skills and especially at players who were a captain on the collegiate level.

New York also looks for guys who can handle the pressures of New York. Being versatile is an attribute the Jets value as well.

Tannenbaum explains, "I think the whole philosophy for us is we want to take players that can be successful in our environment in the northeast, playing in New York and everything that goes along with it. We play tough, outdoor, northeast football. You need guys ready to go up to Buffalo every year, to go to New England every year."

Tannenbaum and Mangini's vision produced D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Nick Mangold, Leon Washington and Brad Smith, who all made instant contributions. And Tannenbaum likely plucked the Jets quarterback of the future when he tabbed Kellen Clemens as his second-round pick. Clemens' work ethic and practice sessions lifted him to No. 2 status as the season moved along.

Tannenbaum added, "There were a lot of our guys who got better as the year went on. Be it a Brad Smith or a Leon Washington. We want to take that and improve on that in 2007. Brad's character is second to none. His work ethic is tremendous. There was even one game when he was our leading tackler on special teams. So here's a guy playing quarterback and starring as a leader on special teams. He's earned the right to have the ball in his hands more and make more plays for us."

Look for more of the same out of the Jets' 2007 draft.

Quarterback talk

Chad Pennington finally played in all 16 games last year, ably guiding the Jets to the postseason.

But Pennington was too interception-prone.

Tannenbaum gave his thoughts on Pennington's 2006 campaign and what lies ahead for 2007.

"We have a body of work on Chad's career. When he plays, we are successful. He wins a lot more of the games when he starts than he loses. That's an objective body of work and we won 10 games with him last year. There are some things that I know he wishes he could've done better and there's room for improvement. He now has the full season under his belt so he has answered that question. Now we are going to try to build on that and get better."

Tannenbaum also added the team expects Clemens to show improvement in his first full off-season as a professional player. He gushed about Clemens' work in practice during his rookie year.

On that note, expect to see Patrick Ramsey cut sooner rather than later.

nice read. Sounds like the Jets are going to make a strong bid for Turner

Yep, that is a good read. Lots of 411 in there.

And yes, Tannenbaum gave me the credit and needled me for first-guessing the Kevan Barlow deal, his only blemish during his fantastic first season as general manager. Barlow was a major disappointment and was recently released.

They tried to get someone in here to pick up some of the slack after it became apparent that CuMar wasnt going to play. They brought a couple of guys in during tc and gave them a shot. For all the posts I see here about rbs being a common commodity, they sure had trouble finding a decent one on late notice last spring/summer.

Yep, that is a good read. Lots of 411 in there.

They tried to get someone in here to pick up some of the slack after it became apparent that CuMar wasnt going to play. They brought a couple of guys in during tc and gave them a shot. For all the posts I see here about rbs being a common commodity, they sure had trouble finding a decent one on late notice last spring/summer.

I think the key to that was they had to find an RB late in the summer. When teams know you're against the wall they aren't going to deal with you as well. This year we have the luxury of time, and not needing to fill 3 to 4 offensive line positions during the drat and FA.

We'll get a back, I'm just looking forward to seeing who it is.

Adam Schein / FOXSports.com

And Tannenbaum likely plucked the Jets quarterback of the future when he tabbed Kellen Clemens as his second-round pick. Clemens' work ethic and practice sessions lifted him to No. 2 status as the season moved along.

Quarterback talk

Chad Pennington finally played in all 16 games last year, ably guiding the Jets to the postseason.

But Pennington was too interception-prone.

Tannenbaum gave his thoughts on Pennington's 2006 campaign and what lies ahead for 2007.

"We have a body of work on Chad's career. When he plays, we are successful. He wins a lot more of the games when he starts than he loses. That's an objective body of work and we won 10 games with him last year. There are some things that I know he wishes he could've done better and there's room for improvement. He now has the full season under his belt so he has answered that question. Now we are going to try to build on that and get better."

Tannenbaum also added the team expects Clemens to show improvement in his first full off-season as a professional player. He gushed about Clemens' work in practice during his rookie year.

On that note, expect to see Patrick Ramsey cut sooner rather than later.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement of Pennington, and yet Schein says he "gushed" about Clemens work ethic. Hopefully Clemens will push Penny throughout camp, may the best QB win.

I think the key to that was they had to find an RB late in the summer. When teams know you're against the wall they aren't going to deal with you as well. This year we have the luxury of time, and not needing to fill 3 to 4 offensive line positions during the drat and FA.

We'll get a back, I'm just looking forward to seeing who it is.

Agreed. I am looking forward to seeing how they improve the team, and who they get to carry the rock.

Archived