Chad Pennington 2006 Vs. Drew Brees 2002

MTJ06

I was looking at Drew Brees stats today & I realized he had a very similar year to Chad's 2006 season back in 2002. Their stats for the 2 seasons were as follows:

.........................................%.......Yards......YPA.....TD.....INT

....2002.....SD ..................60.8.......3284.....6.24.....17.....16

....2006.....Jets.................64.5.......3352......6.91.....17.....16

2002 was Brees first season as a starter after learning from the bench his first year. While I dont recall the overall reaction to his year, I would have to think the Chargers had to be happy with his first season as a starter, and expected him to build on that season the following year after having a full year as starter under his belt

This past season Chad Pennington played his first full season in the NFL posted very similar stats to Brees in 2002, and we have many fans here are automatically expecting Chad to build on that season this coming year because he will have his first full offseason without rehab.

The expectations for them seem similar heading into the coming year after posting similar seasons. Brees first full season as starter and a full offseason of work to make him even better, Chad his first full season as starter and a full offseason of work to make him better.

Brees came back in 2003 to start only 11 games as he was benched for Doug flutie and only threw for 2100 yards, 11tds, and 15 ints. It wasnt until 2004 after the Chargers drafted Rivers to challenge Brees that he began to breakout.

Just because Chad finally played every game in 2006 and will have for the first time a full offseason to concentrate on football rather than rehab, doesnt mean that he will automatically improve upon last year. Many here say that there is no way that Clemens will even see a snap this year, Ill bet the Charger faithful said the same thing about Flutie in 2003?

If Chad is the starter we still need Clemens or another backup qb to come in and challenge him and play at a high level because Chads play is inconsistent and he has shown a propensity to get injured.

I think its a win win situation. If Clemens plays well and challenges Chad, and Chad has the heart of a champion as many say he does he will raise his level of play and the team will have a good season. If Clemens challenges Chad and he doesnt meet the challenge or at some time during the season gets hurt, it would be comforting to know that Clemens is ready to step in and help the team.

The big difference would be that in 2002, Drew Brees was 23 years old. In 2006, Chad Pennington was 30 years old.

You can't compare a second year QB going through growing pains to a seven year veteran playing poorly. It's not even remotely close to being the same thing.

The big difference would be that in 2002, Drew Brees was 23 years old. In 2006, Chad Pennington was 30 years old.

You can't compare a second year QB going through growing pains to a seven year veteran playing poorly. It's not even remotely close to being the same thing.

Troll,

I realize the different points that they are at in their careers. I was trying to point out the similarities in the seasons that they posted and the expectations going forward and trying to point out that as far as Chad is concerned nothing is a given.

Looking back maybe Brees took it for granted that he had the job locked up after his initial season as starter and with an aged flutie as his only competition. The following season the Chargers went out and used a high draft pick on Rivers and Brees' performance improved drastically and he now realized that he had competition for the starting job in a young qb that the team used a high draft pick on.

Looking at Chad maybe its not a coincidence that he played his first full season as a starter the year after the Jets used a high draft pick on a young qb and brought him in to compete, something the Jets hadnt done since he took over as QB. The closest thing to competition they have brought in prior to last year was Fiedler and he went down seconds after Chad....

Troll,

I realize the different points that they are at in their careers. I was trying to point out the similarities in the seasons that they posted and the expectations going forward and trying to point out that as far as Chad is concerned nothing is a given.

Looking back maybe Brees took it for granted that he had the job locked up after his initial season as starter and with an aged flutie as his only competition. The following season the Chargers went out and used a high draft pick on Rivers and Brees' performance improved drastically and he now realized that he had competition for the starting job in a young qb that the team used a high draft pick on.

Looking at Chad maybe its not a coincidence that he played his first full season as a starter the year after the Jets used a high draft pick on a young qb and brought him in to compete, something the Jets hadnt done since he took over as QB. The closest thing to competition they have brought in prior to last year was Fiedler and he went down seconds after Chad....

Drew Brees in 2004, after SD drafted Phillip Rivers: 27 TDs, 7 INTs

Chad Pennington in 206, after NYJ drafted Kellen Clemens: 17 TDs, 16 INTs

Chad did not get better with competition. He got WORSE. Brees got better. MUCH BETTER, although I would attribute that to something clicking inside his mind. I don't think Drew Brees magically turned into a top five QB because Phillip Rivers lit a fire under his ass.

Drew Brees in 2004, after SD drafted Phillip Rivers: 27 TDs, 7 INTs

Chad Pennington in 206, after NYJ drafted Kellen Clemens: 17 TDs, 16 INTs

Chad did not get better with competition. He got WORSE. Brees got better. MUCH BETTER, although I would attribute that to something clicking inside his mind. I don't think Drew Brees magically turned into a top five QB because Phillip Rivers lit a fire under his ass.

Competition makes many players better. I certainly hope it had something to do with it as I dont want to think that its going to take Clemens 1 year on the bench and 2 years as a starter before something clicks in his mind.....That would take us to 2009.

Competition makes many players better. I certainly hope it had something to do with it as I dont want to think that its going to take Clemens 1 year on the bench and 2 years as a starter before something clicks in his mind.....That would take us to 2009.

Exactly. 2009 and beyond is when the rest of this team is ready. If Clemens is primed and experience by 2009, the rest of the team will be ready as well. Hence the reason why I feel Chad, who is not only not good enough to get us a SB, will also be too old and beaten up by 2009 (and beyond) to be our QB. He'd be holding us back from great things, even more than he's holding us back right now.

If Kellen Clemens turns into Drew Brees, I have no problem sucking until 2009 if that's what it takes.

If Kellen Clemens turns into Drew Brees, I have no problem sucking until 2009 if that's what it takes.

That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard... in todays NFL you cannot wait that long... contracts will be up, players will get tired of losing, the media will want Mangini out for losing... you cant just plan 3 years ahead in NewYork... dont like it? Dont be a new york sports fan... you gotta go for the gold every year.

That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard... in todays NFL you cannot wait that long... contracts will be up, players will get tired of losing, the media will want Mangini out for losing... you cant just plan 3 years ahead in NewYork... dont like it? Dont be a new york sports fan... you gotta go for the gold every year.

redskins_logo.gif

No Troll it is actually possible to try and win WHILE making your team better, see the Pats... they do the same thing... they didnt have a superbowl team this year, they still gave it their all and went for it.

Mangini will always try to win it all regarless... he did in 06' and he will in 07'.

That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard... in todays NFL you cannot wait that long....

Not to be rude. But you would have to be THE BIGGEST F'N RETARD IN THE WORLD to not take Clemens turning into Drew Brees by 2009, if we just had to only tread water for 2 more years.

Drew Brees is a SB quality QB, top 5 in the entire NFL. We'd be extremely lucky if Clemens turned into him (not to mention Kellen has a stronger arm)

Seriously, you'd have to be THE BIGGEST F'N RETARD IN THE WORLD to not take that deal.

Not to be rude. But you would have to be THE BIGGEST F'N RETARD IN THE WORLD to not take Clemens turning into Drew Brees by 2009, if we just had to only tread water for 2 more years.

Drew Brees is a SB quality QB, top 5 in the entire NFL. We'd be extremely lucky if Clemens turned into him (not to mention Kellen has a stronger arm)

Seriously, you'd have to be THE BIGGEST F'N RETARD IN THE WORLD to not take that deal.

Drew Brees has only had over a 100 QB rating one year in his career (2004)

Drew Brees had 2 good years in San Diego and one good Year in NO now, thats 3 good years and 4 bad ones.

Brees has been great the last few years sure, but now he is 28, couldnt get LT and the Chargers all the way, and who knows if he will ever get NO all the way... NO just like the JETS arent a "sleeper" anymore.

Brees still cant get a team to the Superbowl and he is going into his 8th season, if you want Clemens to gte us nowhere for 7 years and then get us a superbowl in 2014 thats fine... I would rather try and win now with Chad...

No Troll it is actually possible to try and win WHILE making your team better, see the Pats... they do the same thing... they didnt have a superbowl team this year, they still gave it their all and went for it.

Mangini will always try to win it all regarless... he did in 06' and he will in 07'.

You know why that is, ecurb?

BECAUSE THE PATS HAVE NEVER HAD TO DEVELOP A ****ING QUARTERBACK!

Sure, it's easy to be in win now mode constantly when you have Tom Brady or Peyton Manning behind center. Remember back in 1998 when the Colts went 3-13? I guess they should have handed the ball to Jim Harbaugh and let Peyton rot away on the bench, which is basically what your "win now" plan dictates. Have a young QB? Let him rot! We gots to win now, damn it!

I am glad Mangini is not as short-sighted as you. He came here knowing that this is a rebuilding project. Just because we went 10-6 in the first year does not mean it's time to load up for a run to Phoenix. This is year two of the rebuilding stage, not year two of the championship window.

Sure, it's easy to be in win now mode constantly when you have Tom Brady or Peyton Manning behind center. Remember back in 1998 when the Colts went 3-13? I guess they should have handed the ball to Jim Harbaugh and let Peyton rot away on the bench, which is basically what your "win now" plan dictates. Have a young QB? Let him rot! We gots to win now, damn it!

I am glad Mangini is not as short-sighted as you. He came here knowing that this is a rebuilding project. Just because we went 10-6 in the first year does not mean it's time to load up for a run to Phoenix. This is year two of the rebuilding stage, not year two of the championship window.

NO my win now plan is to play your best QB, which is Chad Pennington, and was Peyton Manning. Not saying "oh hell we might as well get Clemens in there and see what he has..."

Troll, stop wasting your enery. ecurb thinks Mangini came here in his 1st year in a "win now" mode. Nuff said.

Okay, so Drew Brees, who carried a team that had not made the playoffs in five seasons to a conference title game LAST YEAR, is NOT a Super Bowl caliber QB.

But, Chad Pennington, who carried a team that made the playoffs the previous season to the divisional playoffs FIVE YEARS AGO, IS a Super Bowl caliber QB.

Got it.

Drew Brees has only had over a 100 QB rating one year in his career (2004)

Drew Brees had 2 good years in San Diego and one good Year in NO now, thats 3 good years and 4 bad ones.

Brees has been great the last few years sure, but now he is 28, couldnt get LT and the Chargers all the way, and who knows if he will ever get NO all the way... NO just like the JETS arent a "sleeper" anymore.

Brees still cant get a team to the Superbowl and he is going into his 8th season, if you want Clemens to gte us nowhere for 7 years and then get us a superbowl in 2014 thats fine... I would rather try and win now with Chad...

Brees has only been in the NFL 6 seasons, his first year spent on the bench, the 3 good years you mentioned, 1 bad season, and one season with identical stats to Chads 2006 numbers as posted above in which you claim Chad had a great year so Brees must have as well then. so that makes 6 seasons, 4 good years, 1 bad year, and 1 year learning on the bench. He is now entering his 7th season.

Troll, stop wasting your enery. ecurb thinks Mangini came here in his 1st year in a "win now" mode. Nuff said.

You think our head coach went into the season knowing that if we made the playoffs Chad couldnt win...

Im sorry but at some point you need to face the simple fact that Mangini (who knows more about Chad, Kellen, and football than you) chose to keep Chad here, chose to make him the starter, and chose to keep him the starter.

Mangini thinks Chad can get it done and you dont, difference is mangini is a Multi Million dollar football coach and your just some person on a JETS forum... Im sorry to say but he knows more than you, and it shows when he backs up Chad over and over.

When/if Chad starts this season, will you still claim Mangini doesnt plan to win in the playoffs? Or will you think of a new excuse?

NO my win now plan is to play your best QB, which is Chad Pennington, and was Peyton Manning. Not saying "oh hell we might as well get Clemens in there and see what he has..."

When Jon Kitna was coming off a 26 TD season in 2003, how come they benched him for Carson Palmer? Kitna was obviously better than Carson at the time.

If all teams followed your "win now" policy, the same 12 teams would make the playoffs every season because no one would give young players any time to develop. And Jake Plummer, Drew Bledsoe, Kelly Holcomb, Trent Dilfer, Kurt Warner, Mark Brunell, Tommy Maddux, Brad Johnson, and Brian Griese would all be still be starting QBs.

When Jon Kitna was coming off a 26 TD season in 2003, how come they benched him for Carson Palmer? Kitna was obviously better than Carson at the time.

If all teams followed your "win now" policy, the same 12 teams would make the playoffs every season because no one would give young players any time to develop. And Jake Plummer, Drew Bledsoe, Kelly Holcomb, Trent Dilfer, Kurt Warner, Mark Brunell, Tommy Maddux, Brad Johnson, and Brian Griese would all be still be starting QBs.

Your using Carson Palmer and Peyton Manning (both sure fire starters from the 1st round) to compare to Kellen (a short QB darafted in the 2nd round...)

There is a big difference... the JETS didnt draft Kellen to start right away... Peyton and Palmer were in the plans from day 1.

You think our head coach went into the season knowing that if we made the playoffs Chad couldnt win...

Im sorry but at some point you need to face the simple fact that Mangini (who knows more about Chad, Kellen, and football than you) chose to keep Chad here, chose to make him the starter, and chose to keep him the starter.

Mangini thinks Chad can get it done and you dont, difference is mangini is a Multi Million dollar football coach and your just some person on a JETS forum... Im sorry to say but he knows more than you, and it shows when he backs up Chad over and over.

When/if Chad starts this season, will you still claim Mangini doesnt plan to win in the playoffs? Or will you think of a new excuse?

This might be the last post in which I respond to you about anything chad p. related.......

Let it be known, I will throw a sh#tstorm at you left and right NON STOP after chad is replaced by Kellen. I will be bumping up every single thread in which you argued with me on this subject. I will make you eat every single word you have ever said about chad pennington and kellen clemens. You will eat more crow than any single person on the face of the earth and it will not stop.

If Mangini was SO high on Chad Pennington, then there wouldn't have been an open competition last training camp and he would have already named Pennington his starter for the 2007 season. Contrary to what you WANT to believe, Mangini has yet to say who will get the ball on opening day.

Chad gave us the best chance to win LAST YEAR. On a team that had Patrick Ramsey and a rookie as his backups. It's not exactly like Mangini was picking Chad over a couple of all-stars. Let me say it again: PATRICK RAMSEY and a ROOKIE. That's what your hanging your hat on. Eric Mangini thinks that Chad Pennington gave us a better chance to win than Patrick Ramsey and a rookie.

Chad Pennington is not the future. Eric Mangini knows that. I know that. Barton knows that. You, apparently, don't know that. So, forgive me if I'm a little sick of hearing your spiels about what Mangini thinks whenever I am more on the same page with him than you are.

This might be the last post in which I respond to you about anything chad p. related.......

Let it be known, I will throw a sh#tstorm at you left and right NON STOP after chad is replaced by Kellen. I will be bumping up every single thread in which you argued with me on this subject. I will make you eat every single word you have ever said about chad pennington and kellen clemens. You will eat more crow than any single person on the face of the earth and it will not stop.

How about all the times I say I would be glad if Kellen turns out better and I trust Mangini...

See this is the problem, I am OK with either QB being the guy... I happen to think Chad is better right now though... but I didnt burn any bridges... I trust mangini

You dont trust Mangini, you burned the bridge with Chad, and you will hear about it when he is the starter week 1.

How about all the times I say I would be glad if Kellen turns out better and I trust Mangini...

See this is the problem, I am OK with either QB being the guy... I happen to think Chad is better right now though... but I didnt burn any bridges... I trust mangini

You dont trust Mangini, you burned the bridge with Chad, and you will hear about it when he is the starter week 1.

Dont worry, I will have gimmeshelter apply the cream on your beat red a$$ after I drive it into the ground.

If Mangini was SO high on Chad Pennington, then there wouldn't have been an open competition last training camp and he would have already named Pennington his starter for the 2007 season. Contrary to what you WANT to believe, Mangini has yet to say who will get the ball on opening day.

Chad gave us the best chance to win LAST YEAR. On a team that had Patrick Ramsey and a rookie as his backups. It's not exactly like Mangini was picking Chad over a couple of all-stars. Let me say it again: PATRICK RAMSEY and a ROOKIE. That's what your hanging your hat on. Eric Mangini thinks that Chad Pennington gave us a better chance to win than Patrick Ramsey and a rookie.

Chad Pennington is not the future. Eric Mangini knows that. I know that. Barton knows that. You, apparently, don't know that. So, forgive me if I'm a little sick of hearing your spiels about what Mangini thinks whenever I am more on the same page with him than you are.

As of now Chad Pennington would be our starter on opening day, thats what being #1 on the depth chart gets you. Of course Mangini will leave the option of a different starter open, hell we got a 1200 yard RB who just played in a superbowl and he said he will be splitting carries.

THERE IS NO COMPETITION THIS YEAR, why would he call it that last year, but not this year? Sure Kellen can leapfrog Chad, but Chad has the advantage being the starter out of the gate and its his job to lose.

Your using Carson Palmer and Peyton Manning (both sure fire starters from the 1st round) to compare to Kellen (a short QB darafted in the 2nd round...)

There is a big difference... the JETS didnt draft Kellen to start right away... Peyton and Palmer were in the plans from day 1.

If you read the post, you would see that I also compared him to Jay Cutler, Tony Romo, JP Losman, Matt Hasselbeck, Marc Bulger, Eli Manning, Jason Campbell, Byron Leftwich, Ben Roethlisberger, Tavaris Jackson, and Chris Simms.

The point? It's better to get in a young QB and see what he has, rather than stick with a mediocre veteran just to try to win for one season. If teams all followed that philosophy, there would be no development of young QBs and the same ****ty starters would be back year after year after year.

Dont worry, I will have gimmeshelter apply the cream on your beat red a$$ after I drive it into the ground.

You miss the point.

You have cut ties with Chad Pennington, if he does well you cannot be happy, its too late. If the NYJ win a superbowl with Chad Pennington you cant be happy about it, becuase it goes against everything you say.

I want the best QB to play for the JETS and trust Mangini to make that call, if/when he says its Clemens then I will support him 100%. I will be happy no matter who our QB is becuase I know Mangini will put the guy who gets wins in there.

Its really ashame you feel the need to turn your back comepletely on your starting QB, its ok to think he should be out and hope Kellen is great, but you have gone beyond that to the point where you bash Chad like he punched your mom in the face.

If you read the post, you would see that I also compared him to Jay Cutler, Tony Romo, JP Losman, Matt Hasselbeck, Marc Bulger, Eli Manning, Jason Campbell, Byron Leftwich, Ben Roethlisberger, Tavaris Jackson, and Chris Simms.

The point? It's better to get in a young QB and see what he has, rather than stick with a mediocre veteran just to try to win for one season. If teams all followed that philosophy, there would be no development of young QBs and the same ****ty starters would be back year after year after year.

Jay Cutler - has proved nothing yet, his team fell right out of the playoffs when he came in

Tony Romo - Showed good flashes and also stunk it up at times, has proved nothing.

JP Losman - proved nothing

Matt Hasselbeck - him and his career 85 passer rating are less than impressive and he is a 9 year vet now...

Marc Bulger - fantasy football king, nothing more

Eli Manning - perfect example of a good young QB prospect stinking it up

Jason Campbell - Who? What has he done?

Leftwich - has almost lost his starting job...

Big Ben - Great Defense... this guy is over rated... even you know this

Travaris Jackson - They put him in over Brad Johnson and Brooks... cmon... what has he done?

Chris Simms - He hasnt proven anything and might not even be a starter anymore...

When Chad Pennington plays for the NYJ, they win, they get in the playoffs, and with a running game and some improvements on D (we couldnt stop ANYBODY in the 4th Q) we will win in the playoffs.

Troll, Tangini is obviously trying to win now...

Why else would they trade a draft pick for a 29 year old RB?

Kellen Clemens is not Peyton Manning..

He wasnt draft #2 overall, he was drafted 56th overall, and he doesn't have a 10 million dollar signing bonus;

Like it or not this may be the most talented Jets team since 1999

As of now Chad Pennington would be our starter on opening day, thats what being #1 on the depth chart gets you. Of course Mangini will leave the option of a different starter open, hell we got a 1200 yard RB who just played in a superbowl and he said he will be splitting carries.

THERE IS NO COMPETITION THIS YEAR, why would he call it that last year, but not this year? Sure Kellen can leapfrog Chad, but Chad has the advantage being the starter out of the gate and its his job to lose.

If there was NO COMPETITION, Mangini would have already named Pennington the opening day starter for next season. Clemens will be given every chance to beat out Pennington in August. I wonder why that is... Could it because Mangini does not agree with your assessment that Chad Pennington is a Super Bowl caliber QB? After all, guys that are "Super Bowl caliber quarterbacks" tend to not have to fight for their jobs in the preseason.

Jay Cutler - has proved nothing yet, his team fell right out of the playoffs when he came in

Tony Romo - Showed good flashes and also stunk it up at times, has proved nothing.

JP Losman - proved nothing

Matt Hasselbeck - him and his career 85 passer rating are less than impressive and he is a 9 year vet now...

Marc Bulger - fantasy football king, nothing more

Eli Manning - perfect example of a good young QB prospect stinking it up

Jason Campbell - Who? What has he done?

Leftwich - has almost lost his starting job...

Big Ben - Great Defense... this guy is over rated... even you know this

Travaris Jackson - They put him in over Brad Johnson and Brooks... cmon... what has he done?

Chris Simms - He hasnt proven anything and might not even be a starter anymore...

When Chad Pennington plays for the NYJ, they win, they get in the playoffs, and with a running game and some improvements on D (we couldnt stop ANYBODY in the 4th Q) we will win in the playoffs.

I'm sorry, ecurb, I should have put a disclaimer in my post that said I was not directly comparing the abilities of said players with Kellen Clemens.

You missed my point entirely. Let me ask you some questions:

Would the Broncos, as a franchise, be in better shape if Jake Plummer was still starting?

Would the Cowboys, as a franchise, be in better shape if Drew Bledsoe was still starting?

Would the Bills, as a franchise, be in better shape if Kelly Holcomb was still starting?

Would the Seahawks, as a franchise, be in better shape if Trent Dilfer was still starting?

Would the Rams, as a franchise, be in better shape if Kurt Warner was still starting?

Would the Giants, as a franchise, be in better shape if Kurt Warner was still starting?

Would the Redskins, as a franchise, be in better shape if Mark Brunell was still starting?

Would the Jaguars, as a franchise, be in better shape if Mark Brunell was still starting?

Would the Steelers, as a franchise, be in better shape if Tommy Maddux was still starting?

Would the Vikings, as a franchise, be in better shape if Brad Johnson was still starting?

Would the Buccaneers, as a franchise, be in better shape if Brian Griese was still starting?

The answers are no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, and no.

When the Jets have LaDainian Tomlinson or a combo of Deuce and Reggie ready to carry the rock is when you can start asking for a QB to have Brees-type seasons.

It's much easier for QB's to look like Brees or even Rivers when they have great backfields and ample enough time because of a very good O-line to throw the ball.

Why is everyone so black and white on these issues? Look there are many reasons why Drew Brees can play like he does, some of it is because he got better while a lot comes from the people around him including players and coaches.

You can't go around trying to cookie cut situations and fit them where you like. This whole Brees thing is in no way an indicator of how Chad will perform.

It's like saying that just because Max will give you head for $55 a year means that all webmasters will do the same thing...it's just not true.

When the Jets have LaDainian Tomlinson or a combo of Deuce and Reggie ready to carry the rock is when you can start asking for a QB to have Brees-type seasons.

It's much easier for QB's to look like Brees or even Rivers when they have great backfields and ample enough time because of a very good O-line to throw the ball.

Before this year, I might have agreed.

But Brees spent the season throwing passes to two rookies (one a seventh rounder), a 3rd year guy that was previously considered a bust, and a journeyman receiver with 8 career receptions.

People make it out like he was surrounded by all-world talent in New Orleans. It looked as if he was because HE MADE THEM look like all-world talent.

Before this year, I might have agreed.

But Brees spent the season throwing passes to two rookies (one a seventh rounder), a 3rd year guy that was previously considered a bust, and a journeyman receiver with 8 career receptions.

People make it out like he was surrounded by all-world talent in New Orleans. It looked as if he was because HE MADE THEM look like all-world talent.

I'm pretty sure a healthy Deuce was all-world prior to Drew Brees.

Archived