Fins Spy Report...Duante still in the mix?

SoFlaJets

Mare sent to Saints for sixth-round pick

By Alex Marvez

South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Posted April 4 2007

The Dolphins traded kicker Olindo Mare to New Orleans on Tuesday for a 2007 sixth-round draft pick (199th overall).

Mare, a Cooper City High graduate who began playing for the Dolphins in 1997, became expendable last month when the franchise signed former New York Giants kicker Jay Feely as his replacement. But the Dolphins refused to immediately cut Mare even after he publicly asked for his release because the franchise was hoping to trade him.

"We had a lot of discussions with several teams," Dolphins General Manager Randy Mueller said. "We were waiting until the right deal was there. We felt this was the right time."

Rather than release Mare, Mueller said the Dolphins wanted to "get some value" after paying him a $250,000 roster bonus before Feely was signed. A six-year NFL veteran, Feely made 84.1 percent of his field goals the past two seasons for the Giants.

Asked why the Dolphins chose to replace Mare with Feely, Mueller wouldn't provide specifics other than to say, "Some change is good sometimes ... The things we like about Jay were a mental toughness, toughness of kicking in the cold. We go to some tough places -- Buffalo, New England, New York -- and he's comfortable in that arena."

Mare is expected to replace John Carney, the Cardinal Newman grad who has kicked for the Saints since 2001.

The Dolphins now have recouped the extra sixth-round pick the franchise lost Saturday when a trade of Dan Wilkinson to Denver was rescinded when the defensive tackle failed to report to the Broncos. The Dolphins have nine overall picks in the April 28-29 draft.

Culpepper: Wait and see

Mueller told WQAM radio that the Dolphins are taking a "wait-and-see approach" toward the future of quarterback Daunte Culpepper, who the franchise says is still recovering from knee problems. Mueller said the Dolphins want to select a quarterback in the draft and have spoken with the agent for David Carr about a potential free-agent visit.

Carr, who started the past five seasons in Houston before being released last month, visited Tuesday with Carolina and is slated to meet with Seattle.

"I think David is going to look for a starting job," said Mueller, who also has spoken with Kansas City about a potential trade for Trent Green. "I'm not sure if he's going to get that in Carolina, but that's his primary concern. If that doesn't happen, then I think he'll consider some places as a backup."

Despite being on the trading block, Green reported to offseason workouts Monday in Kansas City. A source said Green began attending "because he wants to" and has financial incentives in his contract connected to workouts.

Plans for Allen

Mueller told WQAM that 2006 first-round draft choice Jason Allen would get playing time at both cornerback and safety. The Dolphins drafted Allen as a safety but briefly used him at cornerback in the preseason. The subsequent overload that developed, combined with a 10-day preseason contract holdout, contributed to his playing only as a reserve and on special teams as a rookie.

College players to visit

Players from UM and other local colleges, including Hurricanes linebacker Jon Beason, are set for pre-draft visits today at Dolphins headquarters in Davie. ... Guard Matt Lehr, who took a free-agent visit with the Dolphins last month, signed with Tampa Bay. ... Former Dolphins quarterback Joey Harrington is slated to visit Carolina today.

I think this is lip service where they may want to see if they can get anything for him

what a bad move THAT turned out to be man-I mean this article is saying his knee STILL ain't right-from what I saw last year when he was playing-well it was BEAUTIFUL to watch a Fins QB THAT BAD...hey they had their share of years NEVER having to worry about that position....Culpepper won't even make the team

what makes it worse is his lazy attitude and questionable work ethic....bust...took his money and laid down

to be fair 4H that was disputed...Theisman was the one on Christmas Night saying he was not doing what he was supposed to do (and for which he almost got his ass kicked) that turned out to NOT be the case-hey the guy's been hurt-tough break,we don't wish it on anyone...regardless of who he plays for

Dante Culpepper is a joke and will continue to be nothing unless he somehow can be re-aquainted with Randy Moss and if his leg can improve.

The best move for Miami would to be either to go with Cleo Lemon, re-sign Joey Harrington or sign David Carr. Don't bother on Brady Quinn, he's not a future star.

that team is a perfect example of how bad choices made on draft day can set your franchise back...it's been what 5-6 years since a playoff appearance now?

If I was Cameron I wouldn't WANT Ricky Williams on my team-I wonder how the Fin fans feel about him coming back

that team is a perfect example of how bad choices made on draft day can set your franchise back...it's been what 5-6 years since a playoff appearance now?

If I was Cameron I wouldn't WANT Ricky Williams on my team-I wonder how the Fin fans feel about him coming back

Kudos to the Dolphins. I hope they continue to make these garbage player decisions and stay in the cellar of the AFC East for the next several years. A lazy, overrated QB and a pot-smoking braindead running back.

Go Dolphins!

Archived