The Cornerback Situation

nj meadowlands

How do you all think we will look this year?

Andre Dyson

Darrelle Revis

David Barrett

Justin Miller

Drew Coleman

Hank Poteat

Who will be playing in nickel/dime packages, etc.

And, when coupled with Rhodes, E. Coleman, and E. Smith, can this be one of the elite secondaries in the NFL?

RCB

Revis

Barrett

Miller

LCB

Dyson

Coleman

Poteat

Nickle

Barrett

Poteat

I dont think Miller will see much PT this year at CB... only during the dime package...

Mangini will stick to the VETS in the Nickle

The JETS have one hell of a secondary on paper.

The Patriots come to mind.

Samuel

Hobbs

Gay

Harrison

Wilson

Meriweather

James

Scott

Hawkins

Samuel is better than either of the JETS CB's right now... Ill give you that... But Dyson is better than any other Pats CB... I dont know how good Revis is, but assuming he lives up to his potential he should be up there too.

Harrison cant stay on the field anymore... Coleman and Smith are better to have than him right now unless he can stay healthy.

Rhodes > Wilson and Hawkins

The Pats have a good secondary too... but I still give the edge to the JETS...

They drafted a starter, Dyson is a good starter... now Barrett, Coleman, Poteat, Miller are all backups that have starting time under their belt and were at least OK as starters.

Right now, New England has the best secondary in the AFC East but in due time when Rhodes, E.Smith and Revis are more seasoned, the Jets will take over in that department.

Here's how I see it.

Starters:

Andre Dyson & Darrelle Revis

Nickelback:

Justin Miller & David Barrett - They will battle it out in camp, if Barrett is still on the roster, and the loser will become a back-up Cornerback along with Hank Poteat & Drew Coleman, who is still an exceptional prospect who could start in a few years when Dyson's contract expires.

At safety, it comes down to Erik Coleman vs. Eric Smith for the starting SS role alongside Kerry Rhodes. The winner will obviously start and the loser will still play but will be the back-up along with Rhodes' back-up which will either be Jamie Thompson or Rashad Washington, who always finds a way to stay on the roster it seems.

Note, if Barrett turns out to be the loser, he may be an August late roster cut. Who knows if Mangini will want to carry 10 roster spots in the secondary (would be 6 Corner, 4 at safety with just 1 back-up per safety spot).

Or possibly, Mangini falls in love with Leonard Peters and they carry 10 roster spots in the secondary but 5 at safety and 5 at Cornerback, still leaving Barrett as the odd man out.

Archived