Here's a prediction for you!! Derrick Mason a Jet!!!

ARodJetsFan

If the Jets really want another WR, I think they will really push for Derrick Mason. To be honest I like him the best of all out of all the free agent WR's on the market. I know he's older but the guy's production has been through the roof the last 4 seasons and I see no reason why his production will decline anytime soon. If anyone can keep his production going it's gotta be Hermdinger. If Hermdinger has anywhere near the clout with the Jets that I think he's being given (to push for players he covets) you can almost bet the Jet's will make a serious run at this guy. Stay tuned!

I fear with all the attention the Jets gave Coles they missed the boat on mason. Mason has been talking to a bunch of teams and i hear thru the grapevine the Jags are the front runners.

To an extent that may be true Smiz but don't overlook the significance of his ties with Hermdinger, the guy primarily responsible for his development/success.

Ok but if the Jets haven't got around to talking to him yet and he's already talking to someone else,We will be left holding the bag.

Lynch showed us last year about how it is,Money talks a BS walks.

For what it's worth John Clayton reported that the Jets are in the mix for Mason whatever the hell that means.

is as good as stated, why do we need another WR? He will be able to utilize MOSS as he should have been all along and BAKER/BECHT too. Cotchery will be used- FINALLY and WAYNE is still here with JMAC! This grup can be very formidible if used correctly. We have a kid who was a stud in EUROPE last year who is 6ft 4 and 215 with hands and speed! Why waste money on older WRs/ We need more defense and an experienced LT! :roll:

is as good as stated, why do we need another WR? He will be able to utilize MOSS as he should have been all along and BAKER/BECHT too. Cotchery will be used- FINALLY and WAYNE is still here with JMAC! This grup can be very formidible if used correctly. We have a kid who was a stud in EUROPE last year who is 6ft 4 and 215 with hands and speed! Why waste money on older WRs/ We need more defense and an experienced LT! :roll:

Couldn't have said it better. I don't think alot of people realize the need we have for a Tackle, specifically a left tackle if McKenzie leaves (so we can move Fabini back to RT).

Jags are supposed to be strongly in the mix.

IMO acquiring Mason at his likely price is an iffy move, and one that would to me signal a lack of trust in the McCareins pickup (which mind you cost you guys a significant contract and a 2nd round pick).

It's not out and out bad: Mason, Moss, McCareins would be a nifty trio.... if the Jets have the cap space it's a very solid add.... but at Mason's likely price it's not the most effective use of money for a team with holes.

FWIW Clayton was on ESPN News yesterday and said that there are FIVE teams in the race right now. Jags, both NY teams, the Bengals, and one other one.

There is the plus that Mason would be familiar with Heimerdinger's system, and has been proven to be productive in it...

I think Mason the player would be a great add for you guys.... but Mason the contract would be pretty iffy.

Mason is 31 y.o.

Muhsin Muhammad who is 32 y.o. and does not have as substantial a pedigree of sustained success as Mason got a 6 year, 30 million dollar contract, 12 million guaranteed and 18 million in the first 3 years.

Mason could reasonably seek that as a baseline.

Lets say he doesn't seek any more money and is satisfied with a clone of Muhammad's contract.

How many of you guys are comfortable handing out 6/30, 12 million guaranteed, a 5 million dollar AAV to a 31 y.o. wideout with all of the Jets other needs?

There is the plus that Mason would be familiar with Heimerdinger's system, and has been proven to be productive in it...

I think Mason the player would be a great add for you guys.... but Mason the contract would be pretty iffy.

Mason is 31 y.o.

Muhsin Muhammad who is 32 y.o. and does not have as substantial a pedigree of sustained success as Mason got a 6 year, 30 million dollar contract, 12 million guaranteed and 18 million in the first 3 years.

Mason could reasonably seek that as a baseline.

Lets say he doesn't seek any more money and is satisfied with a clone of Muhammad's contract.

How many of you guys are comfortable handing out 6/30, 12 million guaranteed, a 5 million dollar AAV to a 31 y.o. wideout with all of the Jets other needs?

Too much money for Mason, so I'd have to pass. Additionally, I thought I read somewhere that Mason was not really a fan of Heimerdinger.

Archived