Draft Preview on Adrian Clarke

Kentucky Jet

Scouting Report: Adrien Clarke

Adrien Clarke By Tony Pauline- TFY Draft Preview

Posted Nov 18, 2002

At one time looking like the next big time offensive lineman to come out of Columbus, now Adrien Clarke just looks big, too big, as his weight gain has concerned coaches and is jeopardizing his future as a starter.

Full Name: Adrien Clarke School: Ohio St

Ht: 6-4 Wt: 355? 40: 5.45

Year: 4Jr Number: 63

Stats/ Bio:

2001: Began the year at left tackle, but finished the season as the left guard, starting all 11 regular season games.

2000: Started at left tackle from week two on.

Scouting Report:

The Good: Versatile lineman that dominates opponents at the point of attack. Has been used at both guard and tackle, successfully handling each duty. Starts low to the ground, displays great jolt with his arms and easily rides oncoming rushers our of their angle of attack or gets movement from his run blocks. Keeps his feet moving in pass protection, uses blocking angles well and a nasty lineman that looks for someone to hit, working to take defenders out of the play.

The Bad: Does not explode off the snap, bends at the waist and not effective on the second level. Lacks the great footwork and ability to block in space. Eating himself out of a starting job; reportedly showed up to camp in August weighing a hefty 360-pounds and resisted attempts to get his weight back in check.

The Skinny: Prior to this season reminded us a lot of LeCharles Bentley, the second round choice of the Saints last April who is having great success in New Orleans, but must get back on track and make football a priority if he wants a future at the next level

Thanks to Slik!

Scouting Report: Adrien Clarke

Adrien Clarke By Tony Pauline- TFY Draft Preview

Posted Nov 18, 2002

At one time looking like the next big time offensive lineman to come out of Columbus, now Adrien Clarke just looks big, too big, as his weight gain has concerned coaches and is jeopardizing his future as a starter.

Full Name: Adrien Clarke School: Ohio St

Ht: 6-4 Wt: 355? 40: 5.45

Year: 4Jr Number: 63

Stats/ Bio:

2001: Began the year at left tackle, but finished the season as the left guard, starting all 11 regular season games.

2000: Started at left tackle from week two on.

Scouting Report:

The Good: Versatile lineman that dominates opponents at the point of attack. Has been used at both guard and tackle, successfully handling each duty. Starts low to the ground, displays great jolt with his arms and easily rides oncoming rushers our of their angle of attack or gets movement from his run blocks. Keeps his feet moving in pass protection, uses blocking angles well and a nasty lineman that looks for someone to hit, working to take defenders out of the play.

The Bad: Does not explode off the snap, bends at the waist and not effective on the second level. Lacks the great footwork and ability to block in space. Eating himself out of a starting job; reportedly showed up to camp in August weighing a hefty 360-pounds and resisted attempts to get his weight back in check.

The Skinny: Prior to this season reminded us a lot of LeCharles Bentley, the second round choice of the Saints last April who is having great success in New Orleans, but must get back on track and make football a priority if he wants a future at the next level

Thanks to Slik!

He's definitely in better shape now as his weight is listed at 330. You also have to know that football is a priority to him if he is on this team with the current staff. If he's not we will all know by August. He has a tough camp ahead of him. It definitely sounds like there is a lot of upside if he is in better shape (which he is) and if he is properly motivated (which he should be given the type of attitude this team has). If he can turn out to be anything like Bentley it will be a godsend. Time will tell but I think the staff knows what they are doing if they are legitamely giving him a shot at starting. If they didn't need it before, the Jets certainly need someone to step up at LG with this whole Kendall fiasco. Wade Smith is good but they know what they have with him. Hopefully Clarke can live up to his potential or at least close to it and take this job through performance and not merely necessity.

I've read reports that his weight control would be the only limiting factor in his becoming the best mauling guard of his draft. I'm excited to see what he brings to our running game.

jetfuel, I wouldn't be surprised if Clarke, and some of our other young line talents weren't the catalyst that kept Kendall in his current pay-scale. Why pony up the cash when younger blood is on deck? If Clarke turns out to be special, our left-side should be fine for a while.

I've read reports that his weight control would be the only limiting factor in his becoming the best mauling guard of his draft. I'm excited to see what he brings to our running game.

jetfuel, I wouldn't be surprised if Clarke, and some of our other young line talents weren't the catalyst that kept Kendall in his current pay-scale. Why pony up the cash when younger blood is on deck? If Clarke turns out to be special, our left-side should be fine for a while.

Let's hope so GS. As good a runner as Jones is therte has to be a least some opening to blast through. Last year the running game suffered some because of the lack of a good push off the line. I like the fact that they use the trem "nasty" to refer to Clark. That's always a good trait in an O lineman.

Archived