This date in Jets history

Kentucky Jet

July 3rd, 2007 by Gary Grund

After the season the Jets won Super Bowl III during the month of January in 1969, the reigning Super Bowl MVP quarterback of the Jets, Joe Namath, decided to open a popular Upper East Side bar and named it Bachelors III. Namath planned to open branches in the state of Florida and in the city of Boston.

However, the NFL Commissioner at the time, Pete Rozelle, ordered the Jets quarterback to divest himself of his interest in the bar. Namath

If I remember correctly wasn't there a fire started in the stands during a MNF game at the Meadowlands?

Can't recall that, but there was a mega fire started in the Yale bowl years ago during a pre season game between the Jets and Giants

That's now what he got in trouble for.

There were known thugs at the East Side bar, which included a gambling operation.

I didn't know that.

I just thought that it was ridiculous that a pro athlete got in trouble by the league for opening some bars.

That's now what he got in trouble for.

There were known thugs at the East Side bar, which included a gambling operation.

I believe there were also reports of known members of organized crime families that hung out there as well.

Archived