OL dept. : ESPN's OL Rankings: we're 19th ~ ~ ~

kelly

OL rankings

Scouts Inc. / Updated: July 12, 2007

With training camps approaching, Scouts Inc. ranks the NFL teams 1-32 at nine positions. Today's position: Offensive line.

~ ~ ~ 19. N.Y. Jets

The Jets have one of the more promising young left tackles in the league in D'Brickashaw Ferguson, who along with right tackle Anthony Clement gives them a pair of huge bookends who can slow down the edge rush of an opposing defense. Center Nick Mangold showed a lot of promise as a rookie last season and should be an anchor for this line for years to come. Guards Pete Kendall and Brandon Moore provide a good mixture of toughness and veteran leadership. The unit ranked in the middle of the league with 34 sacks allowed last season and struggled on the ground, gaining a league-worst 3.5 yards per carry. Offensive line coach Tony Wise will have his hands full trying to improve the ground game enough to take pressure off the passing attack.

> http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insi...%3fid%3d2934057

OL rankings

Scouts Inc. / Updated: July 12, 2007

With training camps approaching, Scouts Inc. ranks the NFL teams 1-32 at nine positions. Today's position: Offensive line.

~ ~ ~ 19. N.Y. Jets

The Jets have one of the more promising young left tackles in the league in D'Brickashaw Ferguson, who along with right tackle Anthony Clement gives them a pair of huge bookends who can slow down the edge rush of an opposing defense. Center Nick Mangold showed a lot of promise as a rookie last season and should be an anchor for this line for years to come. Guards Pete Kendall and Brandon Moore provide a good mixture of toughness and veteran leadership. The unit ranked in the middle of the league with 34 sacks allowed last season and struggled on the ground, gaining a league-worst 3.5 yards per carry. Offensive line coach Tony Wise will have his hands full trying to improve the ground game enough to take pressure off the passing attack.

> http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insi...%3fid%3d2934057

We have two huge bookend Tackles? Sounds like this guy needs a pair of glasses.

for those who don't have the insider...why don't we read about how the giants are ranked #20:

20. N.Y. Giants

The Giants have an offensive unit that is a good combination of size and athleticism. Left tackle David Diehl is athletic with a good wingspan, allowing him to protect quarterback Eli Manning's blindside well. He is joined on the left side by guard Rich Seubert, who looks like he is finally fully recovered from a serious leg fracture suffered in 2003. Center Shaun O'Hara is steady and smart, while the right side is manned by powerful right tackle Kareem McKenzie and tough right guard Chris Snee. Last year they gave up just 25 sacks while gaining 4.7 yards per carry. This is a unit that needs to play mistake-free football and has the intelligence to be able to rely on technique rather than pure athleticism.

without sounding like a total homer, i think we're a better off than the giants overall because we commit less penalties and mental errors. plus, that 4.7 yards was on the account of having tiki running wild on the nfc defenses. i would also love to add that we don't have players who are distractions in the locker room.....but mr. pete kendell destroyed that idea.

without sounding like a total homer, i think we're a better off than the giants overall because we commit less penalties and mental errors. plus, that 4.7 yards was on the account of having tiki running wild on the nfc defenses. i would also love to add that we don't have players who are distractions in the locker room.....but mr. pete kendell destroyed that idea.

what's wrong with being a homer?

You're right about the giants having inflated numbers, sincethey play in the JV league.

for those who don't have the insider...why don't we read about how the giants are ranked #20:

20. N.Y. Giants

The Giants have an offensive unit that is a good combination of size and athleticism. Left tackle David Diehl is athletic with a good wingspan, allowing him to protect quarterback Eli Manning's blindside well. He is joined on the left side by guard Rich Seubert, who looks like he is finally fully recovered from a serious leg fracture suffered in 2003. Center Shaun O'Hara is steady and smart, while the right side is manned by powerful right tackle Kareem McKenzie and tough right guard Chris Snee. Last year they gave up just 25 sacks while gaining 4.7 yards per carry. This is a unit that needs to play mistake-free football and has the intelligence to be able to rely on technique rather than pure athleticism.

I hate the Giants but I can't understand why the Jets' offensive line is ranked ahead of the Giants. The Giants gave up 9 less sacks last year and their backs had a 4.7 ypc while ours had the league bottom 3.5. You can attibute much of that to the fact that Tiki Barber is head and shoulders better than any RB we had last year (and even this year for that matter) but even with that I don't see how our undersized line can be considered better at run blocking.

Seubert is the only real question mark on that offensive line this season. That boy can never stay healthy. David Diehl also needs to make the transition to LT but they are solid on the right side with Snee and Mackenzie and Shaun O'Hara is a solid center.

I hate the Giants but I can't understand why the Jets' offensive line is ranked ahead of the Giants. The Giants gave up 9 less sacks last year and their backs had a 4.7 ypc while ours had the league bottom 3.5. You can attibute much of that to the fact that Tiki Barber is head and shoulders better than any RB we had last year (and even this year for that matter) but even with that I don't see how our undersized line can be considered better at run blocking.

Seubert is the only real question mark on that offensive line this season. That boy can never stay healthy. David Diehl also needs to make the transition to LT but they are solid on the right side with Snee and Mackenzie and Shaun O'Hara is a solid center.

You've answered your own question right there. When you've got an O-line that has been shaky and shifting around for the past few seasons, of course you'll be ranked in the lower half. They hope Diehl makes the transition. Hope is a scary word for the fact that he's protecting Eli's blindside. I don't care how good the play of the rest of the line is, if the LT doesn't do his job Eli will have a long season considering they've got Droughns and Jacobs in the backfield.

As for that other guy, again speaks volumes of the problems the giants have had in the past. They simply cannot stay healthy on the o-line. Granted they've got what could be a potent receiving (including Shockey) core, I still see Manning as a shaky QB and an even shakier RB core. Like every other offense the line will play an important role, but I don't think the Giants and Jets o-line's are THAT close...maybe they'd be #23 or 24

We may not be a top 10 O-Line this season... But hey with a Franchise LT in Brick and a future year to year pro-bowler in Mangold... I would say we are set on the O-Line for years to come. We can and should always improve the O-Line year to year. But im glad we have the LT and C position locked up for years to come.

I look foward to watching T.Jones and Leon Washington run wild and give this O-Line a good name.

it'll be interesting to see how the OL develops thru training camp. if kendall actually gets dished and who steps up. or maybe the Jets will pick up a player late just like they did with kendall. that would be kinda ironic for kendall...

Jones vs. Barber would be very, very, close if Barber decided to stick around for the season.

Jones vs. Barber would be very, very, close if Barber decided to stick around for the season.

Very very close in what, TV broadcasting? Tiki is done with football.

Your analogy is a huge compliment to TJ, one, that I for one, hope he resembles.

1,662 yards for the season is pretty huge.

Archived