JFM's potential replacement has been signed.

Jets Add John Franklin-Myers Replacement for Bag of Money (msn.com)

NFL Insider Aaron Wilson shared on social media that the Jets signed UConn defender Eric Watts to a deal that includes $245,000 in total guarantees.

For context, that is the third-highest guaranteed figure of any undrafted free agent this offseason, per Spotrac.

Zack Rosenblatt of The Athletic said, “Watts reportedly signed a deal with $245,000 in guarantees, which indicates the Jets’ desire to sign him was high.”

New York Has a Path for Watts to Make the Roster

Watts measured in at the NFL Combine at 6-foot-6 and tipped the scales at 274 pounds.

Dane Brugler of The Athletic ranked Watts as his No. 17 EDGE in the 2024 draft class. He had him graded as a fifth to sixth-round draft choice.

Connor Rogers of NBC Sports had Watts ranked as the No. 190 overall prospect inside his top 301.

Coming out of high school, Watts was considered an “undersized” defensive lineman at only 225 pounds according to Brugler. However he was able to transform his body in college and was able to pack on a ton of weight to play defensive end “in head coach Jim Mora’s 4-3 base scheme,” Brugler explained.

Watts, 23, spent five years at UConn playing college football. During that period, he totaled 153 tackles, 9.5 sacks, 23 tackles for loss, and four forced fumbles.

While his numbers aren’t particularly overwhelming Brugler said he, “has a pretty impressive collection of parts, with his frame, length, power, bend and burst to work his way through contact.”

In other words, all of the tools are there. Brugler admitted he may never “put it all together” but argued he’s worth taking a flier on the third day of the draft. Watts ended up going undrafted.

“Overall, Watts is a frenetic pass rusher and still figuring out how to properly unlock all his power, but the physical traits and competitive mentality are there for him to become a valuable part of a defensive line rotation with additional coaching,” Brugler continued.

• Upvote 4

• ARodJetsFan changed the title to JFM's potential replacement has been signed.
26 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Not Clemons, McDonald and others already here you say? 

No, I didn't say.

Essentially quoting the title of the article @Jet Nut (adding the word "potential") - not stating my opinion, so don't put words in my mouth.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

No, I didn't say.

Just quoting the title of the article @Jet Nut (adding the word "potential") - so don't put words in my mouth.

And I’m pointing out the silliness of the articles headline, not you.  So calm down

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And I’m pointing out the silliness of the articles headline, not you.  So calm down

It didn't come across that way.

Thanks for clarifying.

I do find it interesting that the Jets paid him that much to sign as a UDFA.

2 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

It didn't come across that way.

Thanks for clarifying.

No problem.

Me too, guess they like him and as a long term project ala Huff.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Jets Add John Franklin-Myers Replacement for Bag of Money (msn.com)

NFL Insider Aaron Wilson shared on social media that the Jets signed UConn defender Eric Watts to a deal that includes $245,000 in total guarantees.

For context, that is the third-highest guaranteed figure of any undrafted free agent this offseason, per Spotrac.

Zack Rosenblatt of The Athletic said, “Watts reportedly signed a deal with $245,000 in guarantees, which indicates the Jets’ desire to sign him was high.”

New York Has a Path for Watts to Make the Roster

Watts measured in at the NFL Combine at 6-foot-6 and tipped the scales at 274 pounds.

Dane Brugler of The Athletic ranked Watts as his No. 17 EDGE in the 2024 draft class. He had him graded as a fifth to sixth-round draft choice.

Connor Rogers of NBC Sports had Watts ranked as the No. 190 overall prospect inside his top 301.

Coming out of high school, Watts was considered an “undersized” defensive lineman at only 225 pounds according to Brugler. However he was able to transform his body in college and was able to pack on a ton of weight to play defensive end “in head coach Jim Mora’s 4-3 base scheme,” Brugler explained.

Watts, 23, spent five years at UConn playing college football. During that period, he totaled 153 tackles, 9.5 sacks, 23 tackles for loss, and four forced fumbles.

While his numbers aren’t particularly overwhelming Brugler said he, “has a pretty impressive collection of parts, with his frame, length, power, bend and burst to work his way through contact.”

In other words, all of the tools are there. Brugler admitted he may never “put it all together” but argued he’s worth taking a flier on the third day of the draft. Watts ended up going undrafted.

“Overall, Watts is a frenetic pass rusher and still figuring out how to properly unlock all his power, but the physical traits and competitive mentality are there for him to become a valuable part of a defensive line rotation with additional coaching,” Brugler continued.

Thanks for the heads up, I just watched all his pass rush moves against Tenn and noticed he tends to put some half hearted effort in, and then gets stopped and kind of just hesitates and watches... always a tick behind ....doubt he makes it through the summer. Not sure what Brugler was watching...

You be the judge...

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

I think if anybody can get the best out of him, it's Ulbrich.

Funny, remember when MLF was thought to be the star coordinator and everyone wanted Ulbrich fired?

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Jetkwondo said:

Thanks for the heads up, I just watched all his pass rush moves against Tenn and noticed he tends to put some half hearted effort in, and then gets stopped and kind of just hesitates and watches...doubt he makes it through the summer. Not sure what Brugler was watching...

You be the judge...

yup.  In the analysis below, the evaluator mentions "marginal hand use" and "marginal effort" a couple of times.  Truly a dart throw here.  In the latter part of the breakdown you have film clips showing you the negatives.    

https://steelersdepot.com/2024/04/2024-nfl-draft-scouting-report-uconn-edge-eric-watts/

8 minutes ago, Larz said:

Clemons stinks and McDonald is a wide 9.  

JFM was used in different spots on the DL  
Im not thinking they’re taking over his spot but more as part of the rotation in general

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

JFM was used in different spots on the DL  
Im not thinking they’re taking over his spot but more as part of the rotation in general

He was the RDE on early running downs. McDonald will not be the RDE on early running downs.  They don’t all rotate all over the place. 

they need another big butt RDE for early running downs that isn’t Clemons. 

This is one of those positions that may not be settled until the Jets see them in a preseason game or two and may have to bring in a street free agent in august 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Larz said:

He was the RDE on early running downs. McDonald will not be the RDE on early running downs.  They don’t all rotate all over the place. 

they need another big butt RDE for early running downs that isn’t Clemons. 

This is one of those positions that may not be settled until the Jets see them in a preseason game or two and may have to bring in a street free agent in august 

I hear what you're saying and maybe this is why McDonald was quoted a few month's back saying he wanted to add weight and get up over 250 lbs. It will be interesting to see if McD can handle that early down role as he was able to do in college.

Joe Douglas had a really good interview with Eric Allen on the Jets podcast. Good listen to anyone interested.

Quick Recap which includes my take on his comments: 

- They expect McD to have a similar jump in production to Jermaine Johnson

- They will likely feature 3 edge rushers: Reddick, Johnson, and McD

- Because they traded for Reddick, they couldnt keep JFM at his salary

- Michael Clemons will get the first shot at the JFM role. They think he is ready

- He mentioned Braiden McGregor as an understudy for that JFM role

Watts contract is noticeable. I could see a Watts vs McGregor battle for a spot on the 53 man roster.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetkwondo said:

Thanks for the heads up, I just watched all his pass rush moves against Tenn and noticed he tends to put some half hearted effort in, and then gets stopped and kind of just hesitates and watches... always a tick behind ....doubt he makes it through the summer. Not sure what Brugler was watching...

You be the judge...

Thanks for sharing. This is great film for the Tennessee RT. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Larz said:

Clemons stinks and McDonald is a wide 9.  

I still have some faith in Clemons if for no other reason than his play his rookie year.  You're right though, JFM leaving should really have no impact on McDonald.  

I do think that we'd lean towards a big run defender type for that last spot(if you assume we carry 5 DEs, that would be JJ, Reddick, McDonald, Clemons, ______).  That said if McGregor shines and looks like the next Huff, there is no way they'd keep a big boy over him just for the sake of positional balance.  If anything I think they'll try to bounce a DT to DE in certain situations.  

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

I still have some faith in Clemons if for no other reason than his play his rookie year.  You're right though, JFM leaving should really have no impact on McDonald.  

I do think that we'd lean towards a big run defender type for that last spot(if you assume we carry 5 DEs, that would be JJ, Reddick, McDonald, Clemons, ______).  That said if McGregor shines and looks like the next Huff, there is no way they'd keep a big boy over him just for the sake of positional balance.  If anything I think they'll try to bounce a DT to DE in certain situations.  

I was thinking/hoping mcgregor could be the guy but honestly they need one guy to step up from this list. 

IMG_8949.png

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetkwondo said:

You be the judge...

It’s quite possible the jets switch him to the inside?

2 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

I find that to be interesting as well.  I clicked on the thread assuming this would be about Leonard Taylor, UDFA we signed from Miami.  Coming into the season he was expected to be a day 2 pick, but he was a guy who seemed to take plays off, lacked effort.  If he gets his head screwed on straight and shows up disciplined and ready to work, he could be another UDFA with a chance to make the roster..

• Upvote 1

Jets have a good defensive line coach and defensive ecosystem and Watts is a big, explosive, linear athlete who's stiff. If they drafted him in the third round I'd be a little meh but this is a very worthwhile dice roll as a UDFA. They've brought a couple interesting ones in on the DL - a position group they've done a good job identifying and developing guys - and we'll see who sticks.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Jetkwondo said:

You be the judge...

If the Jets coaching staff makes something of this guy that would borderline Miraculous. 

4 hours ago, Jetkwondo said:

You be the judge...

Yeah, this guy does seem to have a 4-cylinder engine.  It's not always easy to tell his assignment, but the eyeball test just seems to reveal a hesitant guy with relatively slow feet.  I certainly could be wrong.

2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

There are plenty of things to criticize this staff for, but identifying and developing DL talent has been something they've been very good at.

True.  As a UDFA I have absolutely no issue with this.  It's Woody's $245K after all.  Seems destined for the PS though.  Might need a training camp, a season on the PS and another training camp to develop him.  

2 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

This guy seems to have no motor or burst coming off the line followed by zero pass rush moves. He does have an NFL body and can hold up some vs the run. 

He looks like an Extremely Low Bar version of Bryan Thomas. 

Replacement lol

These guys with their clickbait headlines.

I would be shocked if this guy makes the team. At best, he'll show some potential this summer and make the practice squad.

4 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

This guy seems to have no motor or burst coming off the line followed by zero pass rush moves. He does have an NFL body and can hold up some vs the run. 

I see the same and thought it maybe was just one game, however it's more of the same against NC State with a mixed bag of getting locked up by the tackle , hesitancy, unaware sometimes of who has the ball, with some being at the right place to make a tackle vs the run. His highlight big play showing his strength was at about the 45 second mark where he rag dolls his guy who I think is a tight end while both are out of the play...LOL

I mean, I hope they can coach him up as he has a perfect DE body, just needs a lot of work

• Upvote 1

Obviously, the man is a UDFA for a reason.

That said, the Jets paid this UDFA a decent chunk of change - for whatever the reason.

You would think they see something in him, to hand him that deal.

Let's see if Ulbrich can get him motivated & coach him up.

• Upvote 1