Camp Report

Smizzy

Got this from our friend Thunderbird & Rover on FFguys.Thx guys

- The defense appears to be much more hybrid this year than last. Their appears to be alot more 4-3 being implemented and the personell appears to enjoy it. D rob has casually shot into the backfield after 1 step in all the scrimmaging from the formation.

- Speaking of D Rob, he's having a very good camp and looks alot more powerful than in year's past.

- Revis holding out is opening a major door for Justin Miller. He has started everyday at one of the CB spots, covering Coles everyday, and he has looked very good.

- Michael Haynes is def. earning a roster spot. He has been a pass rush terror all week long and has made linemen look silly.

- Sean Ellis has been very quiet in scrimmages.

- Pouha is back, and he has been very good in the run stuffing role.

- Chansi Stuckey is gonna be a big time contributor for this team. There already appear to be plays specifically designed for him. He's vry quick, fast and has a keen ability to gain seperation.

- My biggest concern this offseason was D'brick's development. He had a rough monday in drills, but since has looked extremely impressive. He has dominated BT, Bowens, Coleman and Hobson. He has finally learned to be more aggressive w/ his long arms and he has looked damn good. Tbird agreed w/ me on this one.

- Clemens has been very up and down all camp long. I believe he has the tools and the head to be a franchise QB, but he goes through phases in which he holds the ball too long and is afraid to make mistakes(very common in young QB's). It'll be interesting to see how he performs in the preseason. The ability is def. there.

- Brad Smith has been very good at the QB spot. He's very calm in the pocket, quick to the outside, accurate w/ his passes and makes good decisions. He will see time at QB this year.

- Clement has struggled alittle but in pass protection, which could open the door for Bender, who struggles w/ footwork but has looked quite good at run blocking.

- Coles and Cotchery have run good routes but have been quiet thus far. Likely due to some pretty good coverage by our Db's

- Main playmaker thus far for our O has been Leon Washington. He as quick and shifty as always in running plays, and has become a real threat out of the backfield. Look for another big year

- Thomas Jones is as fast and powerful as advertised. He's seen limited reps but has generally looked good.

today I saw more 4-3 defense than I saw thru all of TC , preseason and regular season COMBINED last year. We just might have that hyrdid D we were told about last year, but never saw. With help from Kurt, it was BT and Ellis at DE, and either Coleman or Kimo at slant nose, DRob at the 3T defensive tackle spot. Why Pouha got no time at slant nose in the 4-3 is a head scratcher. He's perfect for it, and he continues to look very good at NT in the 3-4, which is a similar two gap responsability.

In the 4-3, DRob was creating havoc for the offense. He was beating Moore and Clement like a drum. M Haynes is the best pass rushing DE on the team. PERIOD.... well at least in the 4-3. How we ever got a guy with as much talent as he has for nothing.... go figure. This guy is a lock to make the team. You will hear his name a lot this year on telivised games.... he's good... better than good, he has Freeney-like speed in both the pass rush and in persuit.

We were cursed today... evry time we moved, the action we wanted to see went to the other field. But, with my binoculars, I saw TJ some.... he is a VERY good pass catching RB. I think we lack a solid power runner, but TJ and Leon are explosive, which could help soften the inside rush D for opponents.

Banks and Ware have both looked good, I think Banks has the inside track at RB3, but Hollings is a big RB... and in limited time as he learns the plays should not be discounted. He moves well for a big RB.

I did look for Hicks some today, but frankly, couldn't even find him. Why are we picking up DL's from KC anyway? They have one of the worst inside DL's in the NFL, and they dumped Hicks. I'd much rather see Pouha in at slant nose in the 4-3. I guess that's all I have to add to what Kurt and 227 had to say

Jene, don't look now, but BT was in a stance in the nickel and dime packages at TC today. Bowens went OLB in those sets. If this sticks, it may cloud BT's positional listing yet again this year.

The Jets are using a WHOLE lot of rotation on defense... at least today. Getting roughly the same number of snaps with the first unit were Rhodes, Coleman and Smith at safety, Dyson Barrett and Miller at CB, and so much rotation on the front 7 it was hard to keep track of. As of now, my gut feel is that Jets IDP's may have diminished value this season, as Mangini seems intent on using the whole roster. It's early, and much can change, so take that thought for what it is... a thought.

Kimo vonO is still holding down the starting DE spot across from Ellis, but both Haynes and Coleman are pushing him. Most notable, based on what I saw, were the Jets' NT's. D Robertson has lost the belly, and made the weight move higher. I've never seen him play this energetically. His backup, Pouha, has also gotten WAY bigger in the torso and arms. They both were able to anchor the D line, and generate push up the middle to the point they were drawing double teams and pushing the pocket on passing plays. This bodes well for the run D.

Here is the sleeper for the Jets this year.... Stuckey. He catches EVERYTHING thrown his way, and consistantly was the best WR in terms of getting seperation today. He looks a lot like S Moss, but without the built in magnet for the sidelines.

Based on what I saw today, the knocks on Clemens as a viable #2 QB don't hold water. He looked good. He needs to improve his vision of the field as he misses open targets, but he has the tools. IDP forum... right.... back to defense.

Harris took every snap at ILB with the 2nd team. He showed some flashes, but his sideline to sideline speed was I thought, disappointing, as was his reaction time. He also seemed to lack a bit of hustle, which could be mistaken for some indecision as he learns the 3-4 defense. Bowens looked very good.... and I think he is why Thomas is getting into a stance at DE on the nickel and dime defenses. Haynes was also on the mix with the first team, and was notable in his ability to be around the play. I think Barton looks like a safe IDP play this year, unless Harris really develops significantly in TC.

As a Jets fan, I really liked a lot of what I saw on the D.... as a FF player, not so much. LOTS of rotation.... we'll have to see if this is competition motivated, or part of the in season game plan. I suspect the latter. Vilma is still on the wrong side as far as FF point production goes. Barton appears to be holding off Harris. BT looks to be an every down player, OLB on regular downs, down DE in the nickel and dime. Hobson seems to be almost an every down player as well. Pouha looks very good, so even Dwayne Robertson will be in a rotation I think. Ellis will remain a 3 down guy, but that's about it.

Thanks. Given the way everybody is raving about Stuckey I guess I wouldn't be surprised to see JMac go. Coles, Cotchery and Smith make the team. Wallace Wright looked very good on ST last year so I wouldn't be surprised to see him stick. Dwight will probably be dumped because they have plenty of guys that can return punts now. I actually like McCareins and JMac would still make the cut, but now I wouldn't be surprised if they took a fairly late pick for him.

I'm surprised they are playing more 4-3 now. It seems like last year they had a team ill-suited to the 3-4 and played it all the time. Not that I'm not in favor of it, but why go more hybrid now? They had a full year to tailor the team to the 3-4. I can see why'd they'd do it with tweeners Bryan Thomas, Bowens and Wadsworth, but I'm still surprised. I'm happy and interested they talked Haynes up so much, but Freeny like speed? Sounds like the DL is ahead of the OL at this point.

I think Jones will catch a ton of balls out of the backfield. For whatever reason, Penny always dumped more to backs (Richie Anderson/Sowell) than TEs.

Archived