Jets news Aug 2

Kentucky Jet

-New post-

REVIS' HOLDOUT ISN'T HELPING

By MARK CANNIZZARO

August 2, 2007 -- The contract holdout by first-round draft pick Darrelle Revis is becoming more and more of a problem for the Jets, who had big plans for the cornerback.

The best-case scenario was for Revis to develop at such a rate he could win a starting job. With each missed practice (he was in day six of his holdout yesterday), that seems to be nothing more than a pipe dream.

Eric Mangini is surely becoming agitated at the situation.

"The important thing is to be here working hard and learning as much as you can," Mangini said yesterday. "Each day that you're not here, somebody gets your reps and somebody gets your learning. It's hard. It's hard when you're a rookie anyway making the transition (from college to pro) and to contribute right away.

"We have these practices for a reason," Mangini went on. "To me, I'm focusing on the guys that are here, and I'm happy with those guys. I'm happy to be coaching those guys. We're all collectively as a team, as a group, moving forward."

Revis and the Jets remain stuck on the length of the contract, with the Jets insistent on a six-year deal to lock up their top pick as long as possible and help themselves economically. Revis wants a five-year deal.

When someone will budge is anyone's guess, but at this point the issue has become detrimental to both sides.

Mangini continued to praise Justin Miller and wasn't pushing any alarm buttons regarding the cornerback position.

"I've liked Justin's progress a lot this offseason and here early in camp," Mangini said. "I think the group has gotten better in being more familiar with the system. I like the things they're doing. David (Barrett) is doing some good things. He had a really nice interception (Tuesday) morning in the one-on-one in the red area.

"The day before, he made a nice play on a slant that Chad (Pennington) was throwing where he was able to undercut it. The run after the interception was good. Those plays keep coming up, and that's good."

TE Chris Baker was excused from yesterday's practice as a reward for doing well in an incentive program in the offseason sessions.

"We had some opportunities during the offseason program and (Baker) was on the winning team for one of those opportunities," Mangini said. "This is the benefit of winning."

WR Justin McCareins, also on that winning team, had the option to sit out yesterday but chose to work and use his get-out-of-practice-free card another day. There are other players who have that privilege, too.

Mangini was lukewarm on the progress of backup QB candidate Marques Tuiasosopo, who's been spotty at times in passing drills.

"This system takes some time to pick up," Mangini said. "There are a lot of things that you have to get used to. Time is the key thing. He's made some good plays each day and there are some plays he'd like to have back and I'd like him to have back. But it's the measured progress. We'll have some more time to measure that."

LG Pete Kendall and CB Andre Dyson, each nursing leg ailments, returned to practice yesterday. . . . The Jets will practice twice today (8:45 a.m. and 6:30 p.m.). The second practice will be closed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-New post-

At QB, Jets fall back on raw backups

By HANK GOLA

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, August 2nd 2007, 4:00 AM

As high as their hopes are for this season, they ride on a starting quarterback who has had two shoulder surgeries. Coach Eric Mangini says there isn't anything he doesn't like about Chad Pennington, but this year, Pennington performs without a safety net.

The Jets, who paid an awful price when they ran out of QBs in 2005, have chosen to go into the season without an experienced backup. Last year, they had Patrick Ramsey in reserve. In '05, they had Jay Fiedler, until he, too, was injured, leading to Vinny Testaverde's return. In '04, it was Quincy Carter. Before that, both Pennington and Testaverde were on the team.

This time, either Kellen Clemens or Marques Tuiasosopo must develop posthaste or it could lead to a fast postmortem on the season.

Clemens, last year's second-round pick out of Oregon, threw three fewer times (one) than he was sacked (four) in 2006 but at least he was in the system. Tuiasosopo, the Raiders' second-round pick in 2001, has thrown two TD passes his entire career.

Even this early in camp, it seems as though Tuiasosopo's roster spot could be in danger, with the Jets experimenting with receiver Brad Smith as a Kordell Stewart-type QB option.

"I know that working with the quarterbacks last year, being in a lot of those meetings, this system takes some time to pick up," Mangini said, assessing Tuiasosopo. "There are a lot of things you have to get used to.

"He's made some good plays each day. There are some plays that he'd like to have back, I'd like him to have back," Mangini said. "But it's measured progress. We'll have some more time here to measure that."

Tuiasosopo says he's getting more comfortable with the offense but admits it's a process.

"It's a matter of getting everything down and taking it from the drawing board to the field," he said. "It feels like I'm starting over again, and it's been that way the last three or four years.

"Every year was a new learning year. In some ways, you have to unlearn things before you can learn. You have take everything out of your mind and learn the Jet way. There are different philosophies on certain plays and you may read plays differently. That's the kind of thing that comes up the most."

KINDER KENDALL: Pete Kendall, the contractually unhappy guard, returned to the field yesterday and alternated with the first team. "No matter what happens, it's a job," he said. "It's an uncomfortable situation and one I truly wanted to avoid. I thought one way or another, it wouldn't come to be, but here we are," he said. Kendall signed plenty of autographs, so someone asked if anyone was waving a new contract at him. "I wasn't looking closely," he said. . . . Kendall isn't the only Jets guard unhappy with his contract. Starting RG Brandon Moore, in the fourth year of a seven-year deal that pays him $1 million this season, also wants to renegotiate, sources said. Some close to the team believe Moore's brief absence from camp Tuesday stemmed from his contract situation. He missed the morning practice due to a personal reason, the team said, returning in the afternoon.

Yesterday, Moore declined to elaborate, although he did acknowledge he's not happy with his contract. His agent, Hadley Engelhard, said Moore had to go home for a child-care issue, claiming it had nothing to do with his contract. There were rumors before camp that Moore was considering a holdout.

It's a delicate position for the Jets. Moore is underpaid, but if they tear up his deal, they'd look like double talkers for telling Kendall they won't re-work his contract, which has three years remaining.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GO JETS!

thanks KJ-I am in my head moving on from this Revis deal-I'm acting as if he isn't even a Jet-if the guy wants to hold out then stay away the whole year for all I care-he's lost so much valuable time that there is virtually zero chance he makes any kind of impact in '07 anyway-I really am starting to hate this Schwartz guy-the agent for Revis and Kendall

thanks KJ-I am in my head moving on from this Revis deal-I'm acting as if he isn't even a Jet-if the guy wants to hold out then stay away the whole year for all I care-he's lost so much valuable time that there is virtually zero chance he makes any kind of impact in '07 anyway-I really am starting to hate this Schwartz guy-the agent for Revis and Kendall

Points taken, but honestly, I can't see how the agent or player are really at fault here. What gives the jets the right to demand a 6er from a mid first round pick when only 1 other player drafted a lot higher in the round signed a 6 year deal? The Jets are being totally unreasonable, and their Kendal situation will only make matters worse because there is no way I would bend over for the sake of getting into camp for a team that was so publicly set on not renegotiating contracts.

The sad thing is in the end they will sign him to 5 years or they will lose him for the year and he will reenter the draft, and if they do sign him for 5, they won't get the full potential as he won't be the starter this year because of this holdout, so all around pretty dumb move.

I have mised feelings on this Revis thing. I have agreeded with everything the Jets FO has done until this point. I'm not sure what they are doing here.

Tannenbaum has not had a hold out until this time because the Jets have always signed most of their players right before camp opens. What they have done in the past is just slot them. Makes deals a lot less painful. Until now.

I believe only 2 1st round picks have signed 6 year deals. Both of the players at 13 and 15 have signed 5 year deals.

I realize that it is much better for the team to go six, but if your going to slot, you can't have it both ways.

Points taken, but honestly, I can't see how the agent or player are really at fault here. What gives the jets the right to demand a 6er from a mid first round pick when only 1 other player drafted a lot higher in the round signed a 6 year deal? The Jets are being totally unreasonable, and their Kendal situation will only make matters worse because there is no way I would bend over for the sake of getting into camp for a team that was so publicly set on not renegotiating contracts.

The sad thing is in the end they will sign him to 5 years or they will lose him for the year and he will reenter the draft, and if they do sign him for 5, they won't get the full potential as he won't be the starter this year because of this holdout, so all around pretty dumb move.

I can see this becoming an extended holdout. But one thing that won't happen

is that he holds out the whole year and re-enters the draft.

No one gives up a potential salary of 6mm or so a year to make a point.

And how does he know he will go that high again in the draft?

There will be whole new round of draft choices he will have to compete against

and being he will not have played football for a year there may be some

hesitancy to draft him high again.

They did not have the length of the contract. sorry

2007 FIRST-ROUNDERS

LAST UPDATED: 7:36 a.m. EDT, JULY 29, 2007

1. JaMarcus Russell, QB, Raiders: Unsigned.

2. Calvin Johnson, WR, Lions: Unsigned.

3. Joe Thomas, OT, Browns: Signed.

4. Gaines Adams, DE, Buccaneers: Signed.

5. Levi Brown, OT, Cardinals: Unsigned.

6. LaRon Landry, S, Redskins: Signed July 30; five years, $41.5 million maximum; $17.5 million guaranteed.

7. Adrian Peterson, RB, Vikings: Signed July 29; five years, $40.5 million maximum; $17 million guaranteed.

8. Jamaal Anderson, DE, Falcons: Signed.

9. Ted Ginn, WR, Dolphins: Signed.

10. Amobi Okoye, DT, Texans: Signed.

11. Patrick Willis, LB, 49ers: Signed.

12. Marshawn Lynch, RB, Bills: Signed.

13. Adam Carriker, DE, Rams: Signed.

14. Darrelle Revis, CB, Jets: Unsigned.

15. Lawrence Timmons, LB, Steelers: Signed.

16. Justin Harrell, DT, Packers: Signed.

17. Jarvis Moss, DE, Broncos: Signed.

18. Leon Hall, CB, Bengals: Signed.

19. Michael Griffin, S, Titans: Signed.

20. Aaron Ross, CB, Giants: Signed.

21. Reggie Nelson, S, Jaguars: Signed.

22. Brady Quinn, QB, Browns: Unsigned.

23. Dwayne Bowe, WR, Chiefs: Unsigned.

24. Brandon Meriweather, S, Patriots: Signed.

25. Jon Beason, LB, Panthers: Unsigned.

26. Anthony Spencer, DE, Cowboys: Signed.

27. Robert Meachem, WR, Saints: Signed.

28. Joe Staley, OT, 49ers: Signed.

29. Ben Grubbs, OG, Ravens: Signed.

30. Craig Davis, WR, Chargers: Signed.

31. Greg Olsen, TE, Bears: Signed.

32. Anthony Gonzalez, WR, Colts: Signed.

Optimize How You View PFTalk

Archived