Hard drive issue...

TaborJet

I'm noticing a high-pitched whirring noise coming from my hard drive. I just checked the inside of my PC, and cleaned out the dust. It's not any of the fans, it's the hard drive. It's not loud, but it can be annoying if the room is quiet.

Is my hard drive in jeopardy? Do I need to replace it?

:confused:

I'm noticing a high-pitched whirring noise coming from my hard drive. I just checked the inside of my PC, and cleaned out the dust. It's not any of the fans, it's the hard drive. It's not loud, but it can be annoying if the room is quiet.

Is my hard drive in jeopardy? Do I need to replace it?

:confused:

BACK IT UP NOW!!!

That is not a good thing.

You should replace your drives every 2 years.

BZ

I bought the pc new in June of 2006.

Is it really the drive? That would suck.

Well, you should open it up and see if you can identify, but I always play cautious and backup just in case.

Again, drives are dirt cheap, go get one, mirror that one and forget about it. It is better to replace it when you can then wait for it to fail.

The way to tell is to unplug things until you can isolate the drive.

BZ

Well, you should open it up and see if you can identify, but I always play cautious and backup just in case.

Again, drives are dirt cheap, go get one, mirror that one and forget about it. It is better to replace it when you can then wait for it to fail.

The way to tell is to unplug things until you can isolate the drive.

BZ

Well, everything important is backed up. (6 DVDs worth!).

I only have one hard drive, so I don't have to isolate anything. Mirroring is something I dread doing. Looks like I have to call a pro.

:cry:

I bought the pc new in June of 2006.

Is it really the drive? That would suck.

Hard Drives are really low tech and quite spotty. I have seen or heard of drives failing in computers days or weeks old, and I have a bunch of macs that are 4-6 years old working every day that are original equipment. IT just randomly happens.

Archived