anyone work in quality?

haggis

I've been unemployed all summer and it has sucked major balls. I recently was tipped off about a job in quality and would like to apply. Anyone worked in this field before? It would be with a major aerospace company. My background is not specific to the work being done there, but I have a solid science and analytical background.

Any tips to help me land this????

I've been unemployed all summer and it has sucked major balls. I recently was tipped off about a job in quality and would like to apply. Anyone worked in this field before? It would be with a major aerospace company. My background is not specific to the work being done there, but I have a solid science and analytical background.

Any tips to help me land this????

I've worked in QC/QA the last 25 years most recently as a chemist. Honestly without prior experience it will be hard landing the opening . You need be be very detail oriented. With the aerospace industry you'll be asked to measure various parts at EXACT temperatures (or at least a tight range) to very tight tolerances. I'm talking +/- 0.001 of an inch for perhaps a 3-4 foot long part. Try to get familiar with micrometers and vernier calipers before hand. This will help since you will be asked to measure things on an interview if you're lucky enough to get one. Actual problem solving might very well come into play during an interview as well. Best of luck to you. It's a great career and almost every company has QC/QA departments so once you get your foot in the door your opportunites are unlimited.

I've worked in QC/QA the last 25 years most recently as a chemist. Honestly without prior experience it will be hard landing the opening . You need be be very detail oriented. With the aerospace industry you'll be asked to measure various parts at EXACT temperatures (or at least a tight range) to very tight tolerances. I'm talking +/- 0.001 of an inch for perhaps a 3-4 foot long part. Try to get familiar with micrometers and vernier calipers before hand. This will help since you will be asked to measure things on an interview if you're lucky enough to get one. Actual problem solving might very well come into play during an interview as well. Best of luck to you. It's a great career and almost every company has QC/QA departments so once you get your foot in the door your opportunites are unlimited.

Thai's right on precision, accuracy, repeatability. Theres usually a lot of math involved as well as simple arithmetic. Before you interview SJ - you might want to familiarize yourself with some current methods for predicting quality like a Design of Experiments (DOE) and Statistical Process Control (SPC)

http://www.wtec.org/loyola/polymers/c7_s6.htm

There's a lot we have learned from the Japanese on designing in quality and quality measuring systems. The stuff flat out works if it's applied correctly.

I spoke with someone who has worked in this particular program yesterday to get a better handle on the position and what is required. I also will be picking up some books today that are particular to the department and philosophy of the company. I have some very good contacts within the company, so hopefully I can at least get an interview. I'd like to regard myself as a pretty smart guy, so even without specific background, I'm very teachable and thorough.

Archived