Jets workout a former Panthers C/ OG

Kentucky Jet

06:15PM - Jets Work Out Offensive Lineman

by Gary Grund

Pat Yasinskas of the Charlotte Observer reports that former Panthers offensive lineman Will Montgomery was brought in for a workout with the Jets recently. Montgomery played in six games for the Panthers last season, four of which he started at right guard. Montgomery didn’t make it through final cuts.

Yasinskas says that Montgomery was a victim of numbers in Carolina, but he’s going to catch on somewhere and have a decent career in the NFL. He’s not one of those guys who wows you with talent, but he’s smart and fundamentally sound and, someday, he’s going to end up in the right spot.

Montgomery was a seventh-round pick by the Carolina Panthers in the 2006 NFL Draft. He was drafted as a center out of Virginia Tech. During his three-year tenure playing for the Hokies, he played both center and guard.

Will Montgomery #66 | Center | Carolina Panthers Roster: Height: 6-3 Weight: 312

Born: Feb 13, 1983 - Brunswick, ME

College: Virginia Tech

Draft: 2006 - 7th round (26th pick) by the Carolina Panthers

Can't say if it was in games Montgomery played, but I saw a few Panthers games last year - particularly after they had some OL injuries - and Foster had absolutely nowhere to run. Now Foster really had no nose for a hole but I didn't see too many holes in the games I caught.

I suppose he couldn't hurt as a backup since he actually started NFL games last year. Further, he was only a rookie.

But I'd feel better with a more polished LG until such time as Bender shows he's not a liability on the field.

Can't say if it was in games Montgomery played, but I saw a few Panthers games last year - particularly after they had some OL injuries - and Foster had absolutely nowhere to run. Now Foster really had no nose for a hole but I didn't see too many holes in the games I caught.

I suppose he couldn't hurt as a backup since he actually started NFL games last year. Further, he was only a rookie.

But I'd feel better with a more polished LG until such time as Bender shows he's not a liability on the field.

Agreed! IMO it is time to stop the charades and obtain a real OG. Bender is a life-long natural RT and we need him there! AC is getting to be a liability from the looks of him in preseason. Robert Turner on the PS is a very tough guy and a mauler. he could be the one to be our future LOG. McChesney is on the IR per afriend on Addicts. ?

I agree, but at this point we need to start bringing anyone over 300 pounds to see if he can play. I'm a little disapointed we haven't brought in more people.

i think bender is going to be fine. he kind of reminds me of fabini when he was forced to start - there will be growing pains but the kid should improve week to week. i think moore and clement are probably as much of a liability as bender is, at least bender can open holes in the running game. moore can't seem to get out of his own way.

• 2 weeks later...

Mangini announced that Will Montgomery will be taking JMIL's roster spot. I wonder if he can contribute at all. I see RT at the weakest part of the OL and Mangini says he has flexability to play tackle so lets hope he can at least play better than Clement.

Archived