Thomas Jones has no vision

vinnys025

It's almost as if someone told Jones to run right for the pile & that's what he does. No matter if theres daylight to the right or to the left, Jones just runs right towards the pile.

I prefer it when he runs right into the line hard. Sometimes he squirts out the other side. It's worse when he starts moving back and forth in the backfield. That's what Chicago fans all complained about.

You guys are silly. Thomas Jones is fine. He's not Walter Payton. Or even Curtis Martin. He's a decent NFL back. Something we didn't have last year. Let him run up some yards on some stiff teams and you'll all be overboard in love with him.

I prefer it when he runs right into the line hard. Sometimes he squirts out the other side. It's worse when he starts moving back and forth in the backfield. That's what Chicago fans all complained about.

His dancing in the backfield and his hopcut are going to drive you guys mad.

His dancing in the backfield and his hopcut are going to drive you guys mad.

He did it on that late screen pass that he got -1 on. Hey I doubt a great receiving back would have made a long play of it, but +2 or +3 yards is a lot better than -1. What the hell is he dancing around there for? Is he waiting for 3 Baltimore defenders to stop pursuit of the ball carrier or step aside to create a running lane for him?

Re: T. Jones had 38 carries for 109 yds

Originally Posted by ARodKeyWestJetsFan

Yeah against the probably the 2 best run defenses in the league, what did you expect???

Did you check LT's stats last night??

Let me put it in perspective for you.

In week 1, Rudi Johnson had 18 carries for 50 yds against Baltimore.

Last night Ladanian Tomlinson had 18 carries for 43 yds against the Pats

That's 36 carries for 93 yds (total of Rudi Johnson and LT's carries and yardage) against the same 2 teams we played. (Pats and Ravens)

T. Jones had 38 carries for 109 yds against the same 2 opponents.

That still sound so horrible to you???

------------------------------

Thats from ArodKeyWest doing some stat comparison.

Yeah against the probably the 2 best run defenses in the league, what did you expect???

That's 36 carries for 93 yds (total of Rudi Johnson and LT's carries and yardage) against the same 2 teams we played. (Pats and Ravens)

My brother, it is my most fervent wish that Thomas Jones turns into something special. Not "special" doesn't warrant $5M/yr starting at age 29.

My brother, it is my most fervent wish that Thomas Jones turns into something special. Not "special" doesn't warrant $5M/yr starting at age 29.

Bro, he's not special, but imo he's an upgrade from the RBBC the Jets had last year. And we thought he was one of the only players who had a half-decent first half yesterday while the jets were otherwise getting buried.

And he did well picking up the blitz in the second half when they scrapped the empty backfield. Not perfect, but good.

And you know i am not a cap maven or a salary expert, so i tend to judge players by performance, regardless of salary. Mccariens was a bum yesterday no matter what his paycheck is.

Bro, he's not special, but imo he's an upgrade from the RBBC the Jets had last year. And we thought he was one of the only players who had a half-decent first half yesterday while the jets were otherwise getting buried.

And he did well picking up the blitz in the second half when they scrapped the empty backfield. Not perfect, but good.

And you know i am not a cap maven or a salary expert, so i tend to judge players by performance, regardless of salary. Mccariens was a bum yesterday no matter what his paycheck is.

I just don't see why $5M/yr plus the equivalent of a mid/high 3rd-rounder for Thomas Jones is better than keeping all our original picks & signing someone like Chris Brown as a stop-gap for 1 yr/$1.1M & spend the difference on either line.

I just don't see why $5M/yr plus the equivalent of a mid/high 3rd-rounder for Thomas Jones is better than keeping all our original picks & signing someone like Chris Brown as a stop-gap for 1 yr/$1.1M & spend the difference on either line.

The knock on Chris Brown is that he is injury prone and I am sure that he will end up injured again this year if he gets enough carries. Now, TJ had the whole calf thing which makes my comment seem a bit ridiculous, but he has not missed any regular season time (yet) and does not have an injury laden history.

The knock on Chris Brown is that he is injury prone and I am sure that he will end up injured again this year if he gets enough carries. Now, TJ had the whole calf thing which makes my comment seem a bit ridiculous, but he has not missed any regular season time (yet) and does not have an injury laden history.

An injury-prone RB (or any position) is not a good thing. But it's not as devastating as a QB with a bad injury history.

I just threw out a name like Chris Brown, not necessarily exactly that player. But injury-prone or not, Jones isn't worth giving up all that much more for to "upgrade" to simply b/c he's stayed healthier. The money that would have gone towards one of the high-priced OG's this off-season went to Jones.

Chris Brown type + Derrick Dockery type + high 2nd-rounder > Thomas Jones + Adrian Clarke + late 2nd-rounder

By the end of the season you will have run out of excuses for Jones.

Jones was always dinged up in Chicago. He had Benson breathing down his neck last 2 seasons which is the only reason he didn't miss time. He missed 2 games in 2004, one in 2005 when Benson was a rookie and none last season because Benson was breathing down his neck. He was listed as doubtful for quite a few games but some how made it on the field just to manage to dance in the backfield. He has hurt his ribs, hamstring and quite a few other things. So if you think he is an ultradurable back you are mistaken. He will play hurt but his play will suffer.

It's not like Cedric is burning it up behind a vastly superior OL.

Cedric Benson 43-143

BFD

Vastly superior. :) Our line is quite old and the age is showing. Benson is exactly getting holes blown open for him. He is grinding out tough yardage which is something Jones has NEVER been able to do. Benson was averaging almost a full yard more than Benson the last 8 games of the season with the SAME offensive line as Jones. We let Jones go because we knew he was not going to give us anymore production than what he already had.

Archived