Thomas Jones has no vision

vinnys025

This guy was horrible today and it wasent all just the O-lines fault. If there is a hole in front of him he runs straight ahead, and thats just it. If the original hole is plugged up he just runs right into the pile and lays down. He has no vision, no cutback ability and it seems as though he cant break a single dam tackle. Even on that screen in the 4th quarter he couldn't gain a dam thing. He along with Jmac are big problems.

PS. Revis is the real deal, so is Clemens.

You guys are silly. Thomas Jones is fine. He's not Walter Payton. Or even Curtis Martin. He's a decent NFL back. Something we didn't have last year. Let him run up some yards on some stiff teams and you'll all be overboard in love with him.

I agree. ;)

And that had nothing to do with a crappy OL and a top notch DL to run against? Jones did a good job today for the most part just getting any yards at all. He took advantage of holes the few times he got them.

I'm just watching TJ and how he ran today. I'm talking about his vision, cutback ability, and ablity to break tackles. The O line sucks, but TJ made it look worse than it had to. If LW was in there at least he cuts back and makes things happen. Thomas Jones is a goaline back at best in the NFL.

He doesn't hit the hole. And if there isn't a "hole" but rather just a couple of yards of space, he doesn't hit that & take the couple. That last screen pass I watched the guy catch, take 3 stutter-steps going nowhere, then get tackled. Just take a couple of yards. A rookie I could take this from. But he's been in the league for a while & should know better.

It's why our Chicago buddies said they used to call him The Dancing Bear. And why with a GOOD o-line he still struggled to get over the league average in ypc. He loses a half-yard with his hesitation. Or at least it looks that way so far with him.

I thought TJ looked one dimensional in what Ive seen of him so far, but that may be due to the calf injury not being 100% and a below average O-line. He did look faster to the line, and hitting the hole tonight though. Just being one dimensional isnt going to help out alot.

He's not nearly as good as a lot of Jets fans were making him out to be when we got him. He's also not nearly as bad as people are now making him out to be. He's a transition RB until LW can carry the load, that's all. You don't really win in this league with the run, you win with the pass. Just look at what LT and LJ have been doing this year.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/09/14/sports/NA-SPT-FBL-US-College-Roundup.php

We can't afford to draft a 1st round RB though, we've still got to build our lines. If we get a lowish pick, we'ver got to draft a lineman, and if we get a higher one, we ought to trade out and get multiple linemen.

You don't usually need to use a high pick for RT or Gs though. First day, yes, but not your 1st rounder. Actually in terms of Gs, you can get them in 2nd day too honestly. The D-line is more cause for concern. For now, TJ and LW are more than fine, especially if KC will be QBing since he can open up the offense.

I have a real honest theory about RB's today. There is really only one or 2 truly great RB's in this league. The rest are products of good to great offensive lines. Thomas Jones was great behind a solid CHI line. Larry Johnson was all world behind an outrageously good KC line. Now Jones has a crappy line, he's not that good. Half of LJ's line is gone and he's not all world himself. I really don't think there's a RB in the NFL that would look very good behind our line, especially against the Ravens.

What I do think is we were much better served to continue building our OL, and keeping Houston and Washington as our backs. If we added the right pieces to the line those 2 would have been good enough. You can have the greatest back in the league, he's gonna look like crap behind a bad line.

A few of us were calling it on Thomas Jones at the time of the trade. Not many, but there were a few of us who pointed out that the Jets are his 4th team and none of the first three teams knocked themsleves out to keep him under contract.

Some of us pointed to the fact that his ONLY two 1000+ yards seasons came when he was playing for a Bears team whose defense got the ball early and often, who played in a pathetic conference and where the quarterback was barely functional. A great running back would have amassed 2000+ yards in a situation like that...

Thomas Jones = Johnny Johnson with muscles. Not terrible but nothing to write home about and certainly very very far from an elite back. A bit better than what we had. Especially now that Cedric Houston quit.

A few of us were calling it on Thomas Jones at the time of the trade. Not many, but there were a few of us who pointed out that the Jets are his 4th team and none of the first three teams knocked themsleves out to keep him under contract.

Some of us pointed to the fact that his ONLY two 1000+ yards seasons came when he was playing for a Bears team whose defense got the ball early and often, who played in a pathetic conference and where the quarterback was barely functional. A great running back would have amassed 2000+ yards in a situation like that...

Thomas Jones = Johnny Johnson with muscles. Not terrible but nothing to write home about and certainly very very far from an elite back. A bit better than what we had. Especially now that Cedric Houston quit.

I dont understand your point about the bad QB benefiting a RB. If Clemens is good and can stretch the defense then TJ will have more holes in which to run. Its the oft stated problem with Chad - defenses can stack the line and dont have to worry about the deep ball. Hopefully, this will change when Clemens takes over.

I agree with your main point though, ie, he is an ok back. He had some good cutback lanes today but didnt use them. On the other hand he does hit the line hard (it seems like a virtue). Anyway, the Jets needed to do this trade - or something like it - because a team has to at least have a servicable running game in order to do anything in the NFL.

You guys are all overreacting. No one could run behind our O-Line. Watch, when TJ has a good game, you will all be praising him. I'm not saying he is great, but swapping second round picks was a great deal to seriously upgrade our pathetic running game from last year. Like Boozer76 said, you need an O-Line to run the ball. All we have is a center. Can't do much with that.

You don't usually need to use a high pick for RT or Gs though. First day, yes, but not your 1st rounder. Actually in terms of Gs, you can get them in 2nd day too honestly. The D-line is more cause for concern. For now, TJ and LW are more than fine, especially if KC will be QBing since he can open up the offense.

Im not sure what he was refering to, but we need D-line as much as O-line imo. D-rob has some skill, as hes flashed at times, but we need a 3-4 DT. IF we can get one, this team will immediately improve.

This guy was horrible today and it wasent all just the O-lines fault. If there is a hole in front of him he runs straight ahead, and thats just it. If the original hole is plugged up he just runs right into the pile and lays down. He has no vision, no cutback ability and it seems as though he cant break a single dam tackle. Even on that screen in the 4th quarter he couldn't gain a dam thing. He along with Jmac are big problems.

PS. Revis is the real deal, so is Clemens.

we should just snatch keyshawn for a year and save the season. chad need help. keyshawn have hands and blocks well for the running game....plus is mature now

Im not sure what he was refering to, but we need D-line as much as O-line imo. D-rob has some skill, as hes flashed at times, but we need a 3-4 DT. IF we can get one, this team will immediately improve.

Maybe he meant D-line, I dunno, but he was talking about RB and offense so i wasn't sure.

I agree about the NT. D-Rob can probably play DE for us after we get a true NT, so it's not like he'd be a total waste. But honestly, I am extremely dissappointed in Ellis, Vilma and even Rhodes right now. Our guys just aren't doing anything. I wonder if maybe Vilma wasn't as great as we thought he was, and was maybe more a product of the system. A great player should always be able to make plays, and Vilma has been quiet for awhile now. I think Vilma might be a good role player, but he's not the impact player that changes the game like we probably think he is.

I dont understand your point about the bad QB benefiting a RB. If Clemens is good and can stretch the defense then TJ will have more holes in which to run. Its the oft stated problem with Chad - defenses can stack the line and dont have to worry about the deep ball. Hopefully, this will change when Clemens takes over.

I agree with your main point though, ie, he is an ok back. He had some good cutback lanes today but didnt use them. On the other hand he does hit the line hard (it seems like a virtue). Anyway, the Jets needed to do this trade - or something like it - because a team has to at least have a servicable running game in order to do anything in the NFL.

He hits the hole hard but then there isn't much drive after initial contact, the kind we used to get from Houston last year.

Opponents facing the Bears got a steady diet of run. In part, and in my opinion because the QB sucked in Chicago. And partially because of the two-headed running threat.

Anyhow my main point was that you would have thought we obtained LT in a heist last year from the way that some people around here were talking. What we got was an OK running back with plenty of tread worn off his tires. We paid over the odds but for us that is a big improvemnt since we have spent the better part of a decade massively overpaying our running backs.

You guys are silly. Thomas Jones is fine. He's not Walter Payton. Or even Curtis Martin. He's a decent NFL back. Something we didn't have last year. Let him run up some yards on some stiff teams and you'll all be overboard in love with him.

Jets fans are now getting to see what I said in the off-season about Jones. Hate to say it but....I told you so. "The Troll" is the only other poster on here that I remember actually backing what I was saying about Jone sin the off-season.

Archived