SNY- Chad is the man

Kentucky Jet

09/18/2007 1:22 PM ET

Pennington still the man for the Jets

Clemens still has a lot to learn as Pennington's understudy

By Dylan Butler / SNY.tv

Jets fans may be ready for the Kellen Clemens era, but Chad Pennington has earned his stripes as the starter. (AP)

print this pageemail this page

Jets fans, some of you were criticized last week for loudly cheering for Kellen Clemens when he replaced an injured Chad Pennington. And now you're at it again.

For some reason, there's a movement to anoint Clemens as the starting quarterback now. Can we stop this charade please?

Clemens has some tools that could make him a good player in this league in time -- he's smart, he has a cannon for an arm and he's Pennington's understudy. By playing behind Pennington, Clemens is able to learn about playing in the NFL under a seasoned pro. That can't happen if he's handed the ball right away.

"He has a very unique perspective because he has been in there and he had the opportunity to see a lot of things from the sideline on Sunday," Clemens said of Pennington. "We just talked about some of the things that he saw. He was awesome. He is a great teammate to be as supportive of me as he was on Sunday."

Sorry to disappoint you, Jets fans, but if Pennington recovers from the high ankle sprain that kept him sidelined against the Ravens, he will be behind center against Miami.

"We'll assess it throughout the week," Jets coach Eric Mangini said. "But if he's able to [play], he will."

Sure, Clemens matured in front of our very eyes Sunday and should have orchestrated a remarkable come-from-behind win at Baltimore if not for a pair of drops by Justin McCareins in the final two minutes.

Yes, he was 10-of-19 for 173 yards in the fourth quarter alone, but one quarter does not an NFL career make. Before that he had a pair of delay-of-game penalties, threw an interception on his second attempt and was 9-of-18 for 87 yards through three quarters.

"I was pleased with the way that he responded to getting hit a few times, being behind and in a place that's extremely loud against a defense that is [difficult]," Mangini said of Clemens. "Most of those [baltimore defenders] are household names and they are for a reason."

While Jets fans might not want to hear this, even Clemens understands his role.

"If Chad is able to go, Chad is the starter," Clemens said. "That puts me as the backup. What I will do is prepare the best that I can to be able to play. If it's me who ends up getting the opportunity then I will try to be as ready as I can."

Apparently some Jets fans are suffering from some combination of amnesia or dementia because they've forgotten about Pennington altogether. Before he limped off the field against the Pats, heck, even after he pulled himself back on the field to somehow lead his team to a touchdown, Pennington was the best player on the field for the Jets. He was 16-for-21 for 167 yards and a pair of touchdowns against the Patriots.

And last year, after many of you had written him off after back-to-back shoulder surgeries and he had to endure a three-way quarterback competition in training camp, Pennington carried your Jets to the playoffs and a narrow defeat at New England. That was after surgery, with a new offensive coordinator, with two rookies on the offensive line and no real rushing threat.

It also wasn't too long ago that he brought Gang Green to within a Doug Brien field goal of the AFC Championship game.

Without Pennington in the lineup, the Jets are now 8-20. Sure, they are better without him.

"Chad is one of our main leaders on offense," Jerricho Cotchery said. "To have our guys healthy and ready to go for next week would be a big plus."

Dylan Butler is a regular contributor to SNY.tv

09/18/2007 1:22 PM ET

Pennington still the man for the Jets

Clemens still has a lot to learn as Pennington's understudy

By Dylan Butler / SNY.tv

Jets fans may be ready for the Kellen Clemens era, but Chad Pennington has earned his stripes as the starter. (AP)

print this pageemail this page

Jets fans, some of you were criticized last week for loudly cheering for Kellen Clemens when he replaced an injured Chad Pennington. And now you're at it again.

For some reason, there's a movement to anoint Clemens as the starting quarterback now. Can we stop this charade please?

Clemens has some tools that could make him a good player in this league in time -- he's smart, he has a cannon for an arm and he's Pennington's understudy. By playing behind Pennington, Clemens is able to learn about playing in the NFL under a seasoned pro. That can't happen if he's handed the ball right away.

"He has a very unique perspective because he has been in there and he had the opportunity to see a lot of things from the sideline on Sunday," Clemens said of Pennington. "We just talked about some of the things that he saw. He was awesome. He is a great teammate to be as supportive of me as he was on Sunday."

Sorry to disappoint you, Jets fans, but if Pennington recovers from the high ankle sprain that kept him sidelined against the Ravens, he will be behind center against Miami.

"We'll assess it throughout the week," Jets coach Eric Mangini said. "But if he's able to [play], he will."

Sure, Clemens matured in front of our very eyes Sunday and should have orchestrated a remarkable come-from-behind win at Baltimore if not for a pair of drops by Justin McCareins in the final two minutes.

Yes, he was 10-of-19 for 173 yards in the fourth quarter alone, but one quarter does not an NFL career make. Before that he had a pair of delay-of-game penalties, threw an interception on his second attempt and was 9-of-18 for 87 yards through three quarters.

"I was pleased with the way that he responded to getting hit a few times, being behind and in a place that's extremely loud against a defense that is [difficult]," Mangini said of Clemens. "Most of those [baltimore defenders] are household names and they are for a reason."

While Jets fans might not want to hear this, even Clemens understands his role.

"If Chad is able to go, Chad is the starter," Clemens said. "That puts me as the backup. What I will do is prepare the best that I can to be able to play. If it's me who ends up getting the opportunity then I will try to be as ready as I can."

Apparently some Jets fans are suffering from some combination of amnesia or dementia because they've forgotten about Pennington altogether. Before he limped off the field against the Pats, heck, even after he pulled himself back on the field to somehow lead his team to a touchdown, Pennington was the best player on the field for the Jets. He was 16-for-21 for 167 yards and a pair of touchdowns against the Patriots.

And last year, after many of you had written him off after back-to-back shoulder surgeries and he had to endure a three-way quarterback competition in training camp, Pennington carried your Jets to the playoffs and a narrow defeat at New England. That was after surgery, with a new offensive coordinator, with two rookies on the offensive line and no real rushing threat.

It also wasn't too long ago that he brought Gang Green to within a Doug Brien field goal of the AFC Championship game.

Without Pennington in the lineup, the Jets are now 8-20. Sure, they are better without him.

"Chad is one of our main leaders on offense," Jerricho Cotchery said. "To have our guys healthy and ready to go for next week would be a big plus."

Dylan Butler is a regular contributor to SNY.tv

:love0030:

Archived