Phinfever Fins vs Jets Analysis/Prediction

Big Dave

Hey guys, it's hot off of our blog.

Thoughts?

phins_jets_gameday.jpg

Sopcast (Watch Online): sop://broker.sopcast.com:3912/25967

Game Analysis by Rich Rodriguez

Key Matchups

1. Dolphins Offensive Line versus Jets Front Seven - Here we are again, discussing how the offensive line will be key. If this is becoming repetitive, so is the poor play of the offensive line when it comes to running the football. Once again, the Dolphins offensive line is presented with an opportunity to establish the ground game. Once again they face a questionable unit. With nose tackle Dewayne Robertson questionable with a knee injury, and the Jets front seven struggling, will Samson Satele finally lead the offensive line to a productive day? The Jets have zero sacks and are allowing 126 yards per game on the ground.

The offensive line once again gave Trent Green enough time, and seemed to start opening some holes for Ronnie Brown in the 3rd quarter before Cam Cameron curiously decided to shelf the ground game.

Advantage: Miami - This is the perfect opportunity for the Dolphins offensive line to develop some chemistry and create some success for the ground game. Against a weak front seven, I believe the Dolphins will finally find this success IF Cam Cameron sticks to the running game.

2. Cam Cameron versus himself - The pass:run ratio for the Dolphins is virtually 2:1. This is not good for a team with a caretaker quarterback. This all falls on the shoulders of Cam Cameron. Cameron has abandoned the run despite the games being close. The Dolphins come out of the lockeroom and hand the ball off to Ronnie Brown 4 times for 22 yards. This is a 5.0+ yard per carry average. The next series, despite being down 17-13 with 4+ minutes left in the third quarter, the Dolphins come out in the shotgun formation and virtually never run the ball again. The result is 5 turnovers by Trent Green. Cameron needs to realize that Ronnie Brown is his best chance to win, not Trent Green. Green is a quarterback who can protect the ball and make some plays when he has a ground game to compliment him, but he cannot do it all by himself.

Advantage: Cameron - I suppose either way he has the advantage. But I believe Cameron will use Ronnie Brown early and often and I believe he will stick with the run. If he hasn't figured out by now that he has to stick to the run, he will never figure it out.

3. Dolphins Front Seven versus Jets Offensive Line - Here is a great opportunity for the Dolphins front seven to finally show that dominance everyone predicted they would. Taylor, Porter and company have been virtually invisible the past two weeks. It is time for them to make an appearance, particularly since Zach Thomas will be out with a mild concussion.

Advantage: Miami - I believe Taylor and Porter will finally show some fire. This is a division game, a rivalry game, and if this isn't enough to hype these two guys up to have a big game, then nothing is.

4. Miami's Pass Defense versus Jets Receivers - Last week, the defense missed Yeremiah Bell. This week, they should get Andre Goodman back. Travis Daniels also switches over to safety, a position he has some experience in. Jerricho Cotcherry is off to a great start and Lavernues Coles has also been a handful for the Dolphins.

Advantage: Even - With the uncertainty at quarterback for the Jets and the uncertainty in the entire secondary for the Dolphins, it is difficult to tell who has an advantage here.

Analysis: Cam Cameron will renew his dedication to the ground game. At least I hope he does. If he doesn't, it will be another dangerous day on offense. Even though the Jets haven't been able to pressure anyone and haven't gotten any interceptions, that has to end at some point. Hopefully Sunday isn't the day.

The defense should have success containing the Jets, at least well enough to give the offense a chance to win the game. It is up to the offense to avoid mistakes, take care of the ball, and execute in the running game. If those three happens, and I believe they finally will, it should spell victory for the Dolphins.

Final Score: Dolphins 20, Jets 13.

Archived