Jets Sign WR

DonCorleone

Notebook: Clowney signs deal with Jets

By Rob Demovsky

rdemovsk@greenbaypressgazette.com

The Green Bay Packers could have tried to keep rookie receiver David Clowney but ultimately didn't think he was better than Shaun Bodiford, the No. 5 receiver on their roster.

Clowney, a fifth-round draft pick in April who has been on the Packers' practice squad since being cut at the end of training camp, accepted an offer from the New York Jets to join their 53-man roster and signed a one-year, minimum contract Wednesday.

"The Packers like David a lot, but circumstances were the best for David to go elsewhere," said Brian Mackler, Clowney's agent.

Mackler wouldn't say whether the Packers tried to entice Clowney to stay with the Packers, but indications were they didn't think Clowney was ready to contribute in the foreseeable future.

"The Jets had a spot open," Mackler said, "and they moved quickly."

The Packers used the 157th pick on Clowney, a 6-foot, 188-pounder from Virginia Tech, with the hope he could develop into a niche receiver who, despite being undersized, could stretch the field with his speed. He ran a 4.35-second 40-yard dash outdoors and a 4.29 40 indoors on his pro day, and was an accomplished track performer in college.

During training camp, he struggled with route running and didn't catch the ball naturally. As a kick returner, he couldn't outperform Will Blackmon or Tramon Williams. He made a push late in camp but lost a bid for the final receiver spot to Carlyle Holiday. When Holiday was placed on injured reserve on Sept. 15, the Packers passed over Clowney and promoted receiver Chris Francies, who spent two weeks on the roster before Bodiford was signed.

The Packers replaced Clowney on the practice squad with tight end James Adkisson, a second-year pro from South Carolina. Adkisson played in two games for the Oakland Raiders last season. In 2005, the 6-foot-4, 250-pounder spent most of the season on the Raiders' practice squad before being elevated to the active roster for the regular-season finale.

Notebook: Clowney signs deal with Jets

By Rob Demovsky

rdemovsk@greenbaypressgazette.com

The Green Bay Packers could have tried to keep rookie receiver David Clowney but ultimately didn't think he was better than Shaun Bodiford, the No. 5 receiver on their roster.

Clowney, a fifth-round draft pick in April who has been on the Packers' practice squad since being cut at the end of training camp, accepted an offer from the New York Jets to join their 53-man roster and signed a one-year, minimum contract Wednesday.

"The Packers like David a lot, but circumstances were the best for David to go elsewhere," said Brian Mackler, Clowney's agent.

Mackler wouldn't say whether the Packers tried to entice Clowney to stay with the Packers, but indications were they didn't think Clowney was ready to contribute in the foreseeable future.

"The Jets had a spot open," Mackler said, "and they moved quickly."

The Packers used the 157th pick on Clowney, a 6-foot, 188-pounder from Virginia Tech, with the hope he could develop into a niche receiver who, despite being undersized, could stretch the field with his speed. He ran a 4.35-second 40-yard dash outdoors and a 4.29 40 indoors on his pro day, and was an accomplished track performer in college.

During training camp, he struggled with route running and didn't catch the ball naturally. As a kick returner, he couldn't outperform Will Blackmon or Tramon Williams. He made a push late in camp but lost a bid for the final receiver spot to Carlyle Holiday. When Holiday was placed on injured reserve on Sept. 15, the Packers passed over Clowney and promoted receiver Chris Francies, who spent two weeks on the roster before Bodiford was signed.

The Packers replaced Clowney on the practice squad with tight end James Adkisson, a second-year pro from South Carolina. Adkisson played in two games for the Oakland Raiders last season. In 2005, the 6-foot-4, 250-pounder spent most of the season on the Raiders' practice squad before being elevated to the active roster for the regular-season finale.

Thanks for the article.

Another garbage aquisition.

In fairness, I don't know how many mid-season acquisitions would NOT be garbage. This one at least has upside (I suppose).

in fairness he was a 5th round draft pick and he was on a nfl roster

so maybe some talent just not what the jets need

and don''t we have to keep him for the entire year since we stole him from another team

i think that is the rule

Maybe the Jets will sign him long term and for big money. The same thing that we do with most of our garbage.

Be fair. The current FO has not spent "big money" on anybody. The only guy they paid at all was Revis and that was to get him locked for an extra year. I guess you can say they spent extra coin on guys like Kenyon Coleman, but those guys are fairly cheap to begin with. I wished we'd overpaid a G and T or two this offseason.

In fairness, I don't know how many mid-season acquisitions would NOT be garbage. This one at least has upside (I suppose).

Hi Sperm,

I completely agree. I guess that I am being a bit unfair based on how angry I am about how our team is playing. Man does it suck not to be able to talk about wins.

Be fair. The current FO has not spent "big money" on anybody. The only guy they paid at all was Revis and that was to get him locked for an extra year. I guess you can say they spent extra coin on guys like Kenyon Coleman, but those guys are fairly cheap to begin with. I wished we'd overpaid a G and T or two this offseason.

Salve...Come va?

You are correct. But the acquisitions that I was refering to are TJ, Bowens and the recently departed Kimo....I just haven't seen them bring in a player that has made a splash.

Hi Sperm,

I completely agree. I guess that I am being a bit unfair based on how angry I am about how our team is playing. Man does it suck not to be able to talk about wins.

It is understandable. I know where you're coming from. It seems like this is the type of player we would have "made a move" for even in the off-season.

It is understandable. I know where you're coming from. It seems like this is the type of player we would have "made a move" for even in the off-season.

Yup. The problem isn't signing guys like this or Frisman. The problem is not being a player for ANY big stakes players. Colombo, Steinbach, Adalius Thomas all may have ended up out of our price range, but we don't even seem to kick the tires.

There were plenty of players available who would have helped this team. Was it overpaying? Well compared to past compensation for players of that caliber, yes. But 2-3 years from now, with the way the cap is shooting up, giving Derrick Dockery, Eric Steinbach, or Leonard Davis a $50M contract could very well seem (in hindsight) like a shrewd investment.

Pennington's contract at the time was insanely over the top. But by year 3-4 of the contract, his then-scheduled cap # isn't out of line with other starting QB's anymore.

Maybe two years from now a player with Dockery's resume will command a $70M contract. Don't laugh. Two years earlier a player like that would have been lucky to get a $30M contract. Proportionally, $30M to $50M is a much bigger jump.

What do you think about this upcoming game? Do you think that the Jets show up to play?

Don't look at me. Even as a critic of his, I actually believed Pennington was going to light up the Buffalo secondary.

Given the previous weeks games, it would seem we're going to get destroyed. You never really know. We could end up winning by a couple of scores. Maybe the Giants overpursuing the pass rush will open up some running lanes & by the time they adjust we've taken a comfortable lead. Also Eli can melt down at any time against any opponent. He's looked really good this year, but I've seen him follow up better performances with games where he looks like he would throw the ball 6 yards over a RB's helmet.

Archived