Why hasn't Mike Cameron been traded yet?

Jetsfan80

The Mets have always been known to take too long to realize when a player ought to be dealt. Mike Piazza should have been traded years ago and would have brought in some good talent, but it's too late and they are stuck with him.

Now, I say the Mets go on the offensive and trade our hottest and most dispensible commodity, Mike Cameron. He's hitting .320 with a 1.010 OPS (leads the team in both) and his stock can't be higher. Now is the time to make a deal, preferably for pitching help and/or a first baseman. True, it's a sellers market for teams with outfielders, like always, but you can't ignore Cameron's numbers this season, nor can I see him playing any better than he is now.

For those saying "he's too good to trade", let's just consider this: do you think, based on Cameron's history, he'll continue to put up numbers comparable to Bobby Abreu and Miguel Cabrera, which is exactly what he has done since he came back from his injury? Hell no!

Plus, you also have to keep in mind that RF is not Cameron's natural position, and that may also come back to haunt the Mets down the stretch. We'd be just as well served with an OF of Floyd, Beltran, and Victor Diaz if it means we can get help in other areas. Signing guys like Benito Santiago and Denny Graves isn't going to put us in the wild card race, nor would I want to give away any more prospects.

If there is a move to be made, I would like to see it be with Cameron. I think he can bring us the best deal.

Thoughts?

The Mets have always been known to take too long to realize when a player ought to be dealt. Mike Piazza should have been traded years ago and would have brought in some good talent, but it's too late and they are stuck with him.

Now, I say the Mets go on the offensive and trade our hottest and most dispensible commodity, Mike Cameron. He's hitting .320 with a 1.010 OPS (leads the team in both) and his stock can't be higher. Now is the time to make a deal, preferably for pitching help and/or a first baseman. True, it's a sellers market for teams with outfielders, like always, but you can't ignore Cameron's numbers this season, nor can I see him playing any better than he is now.

For those saying "he's too good to trade", let's just consider this: do you think, based on Cameron's history, he'll continue to put up numbers comparable to Bobby Abreu and Miguel Cabrera, which is exactly what he has done since he came back from his injury? Hell no!

Plus, you also have to keep in mind that RF is not Cameron's natural position, and that may also come back to haunt the Mets down the stretch. We'd be just as well served with an OF of Floyd, Beltran, and Victor Diaz if it means we can get help in other areas. Signing guys like Benito Santiago and Denny Graves isn't going to put us in the wild card race, nor would I want to give away any more prospects.

If there is a move to be made, I would like to see it be with Cameron. I think he can bring us the best deal.

Thoughts?

He making over 7 mil a year. He also strikes out too much. How many years does he have left on the contract ? If he is in the last year of his contract then maybe the Mets move him to a contender.

Otherwise they are stuck with him.

Archived