Trade deadline over

Sperm Edwards

Jets, Giants let trade deadline pass

By ANDREW GROSS

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: October 16, 2007)

The NFL trade deadline passed this afternoon without any moves from either the Jets or Giants, hardly a surprise in a league in which few in-season trades are made.

Two trades of note were made: the Chargers acquired Dolphins wide receiver Chris Chambers for a second-round pick in the 2008 draft and the Buccaneers received running back Michael Bennett from the Chiefs in exchange for conditional picks in the 2008 and 2009 drafts.

There had been speculation the Jets would consider trading Chad Pennington, thus eliminating the growing quarterback controversy between him and second-year pro Kellen Clemens, but Jets coach Eric Mangini called that idea "ludicrous" on Monday.

The Jets have not made an in-season deal since Oct. 15, 1990, when they acquired defensive back Dennis Price from the Raiders for linebacker Alex Gordon.

The Giants have not made an in-season deal since 1986 when they acquired running back Ottis Anderson from the Cardinals.

so I guess the Jets figured it was better to cut players after the season than get value for them now...oh ok cool

Who could they have gotten value for now?

Pennington? No.

Vilma? Yes, but we'll get value in the offseason as well.

Barrett? No

Dyson? Maybe, but who would we replace him with?

I wasnt expecting anything.

It's tough to trade at this time of year. Salary implications, cap hits etc. all make it hard to do. I think we tend to value our own players too much as well and teams just are not going to give up draft choices for marginal players.

I don't think we have any player that is really worth getting excited about on our team. If we did we probably wouldn't be in the mess we are now. We never have any pro bowlers, just a bunch of players we like to think are really good but really aren't the best at their position in the league. Every other playoff team has a few players that can legitimately be considered top 3 in the league at their position. Even the non-playoff teams that are considered good have that too. Maybe top 3 is asking too much but c'mon, at least a top 5 player somewhere on the roster.

We have maybe Kerry Rhodes and that's about it.

I don't think we have any player that is really worth getting excited about on our team. If we did we probably wouldn't be in the mess we are now. We never have any pro bowlers, just a bunch of players we like to think are really good but really aren't the best at their position in the league. Every other playoff team has a few players that can legitimately be considered top 3 in the league at their position. Even the non-playoff teams that are considered good have that too. Maybe top 3 is asking too much but c'mon, at least a top 5 player somewhere on the roster.

We have maybe Kerry Rhodes and that's about it.

You make a very good point. Rhodes , yes I would agree and Justin Miller as a RS but as far as positional players Rhodes is it. No one else on the roster is close to a top 5 at his position.

Archived