Holy Cow!

StillerPaul

Well, i'm an Indians and Pirates fan and i don't have a leg to stand on so i'll tuck my tail between my legs and head on back outa here. :lol:

Isn't there something against the rules against being a Cleveland fan and rooting for the Steelers ?

Or does that only apply to football. :D

You may be the only Pirates fan left which is sad considering their history. I just don't get it. Even when the Pirates were good they had problems selling out playoff games. When did it go bad ? During the drug cocaine scandals of the 80's. Just curious because I seem to remember Three Rivers being full when during the 70's.

When the Bonds and Van Slyke gang got good in the early 90's though they seemed to have a hard time even selling out playoff games against the Braves.

The title of this thread had me thinking this was going to be about something else.

harrycaray.jpg

Hot Dogs!

Pirates fan base has basically been in the same state as the Tigers have the last 11 years. People aren't showing up to watch them play because they have never shown that they will field a competitive teams. Both the Pirates and the Tigers are perfect examples of teams that have beautiful new stadiums, but the on-field product still sucked. Tigers are finally starting to pull out of that, while the Pirates are going nowhere fast.

I used to hate the Braves with a passion when i was a little kid (still do) so I used to root for the Pirates back in 91,92 when the had Van Slyke, Drabek, and McClendon.

Isn't there something against the rules against being a Cleveland fan and rooting for the Steelers ?

Or does that only apply to football. :D

You may be the only Pirates fan left which is sad considering their history. I just don't get it. Even when the Pirates were good they had problems selling out playoff games. When did it go bad ? During the drug cocaine scandals of the 80's. Just curious because I seem to remember Three Rivers being full when during the 70's.

When the Bonds and Van Slyke gang got good in the early 90's though they seemed to have a hard time even selling out playoff games against the Braves.

Yea it's strictly Football, but lets not let any of my fellow Steelers fans know just in case. :wink:

IMO, Pittsburgh is a football and hockey town first and foremost. That may explain some of the non-sellouts. That, and the fact that they appeared to choke in the PO's (Bonds especially).

Cleveland can be a baseball town too, they have a record of some 300 sellouts providing the cheap ass owners put a decent product on the field for us.

The current GM in Cleveland, Shapiro, has drawn my ire due to his asking fans to sell out games so HE can afford tp buy us FA's. :roll:

IMO, it should be the other way around. Put a decent team on the field and we will come, period.

Overall i think both markets are very small and will not spend the money to improve unless baseball grows a set like football did and institutes a salary cap. Both teams would have already moved had there not been a huge uprising from proud towns, IMO.

Cleveland is a good baseball town. I have been there many times on business and it is a real good place to see a game.

Awesome stadium.

Paul...I never thought of this but are there a lot of Indian fans in Pittsburgh?

Cleveland is a good baseball town. I have been there many times on business and it is a real good place to see a game.

Awesome stadium.

Paul...I never thought of this but are there a lot of Indian fans in Pittsburgh?

I'm not so sure about baseball, but i can guarantee ya that there are alot of Browns fans in the 'burgh just the same as there are alot of Steelers fans in Cleveland. No way to get an exact figure but i bet if we could, we'd be astonished at the numbers of opposing teams fans in either city.

To listen to sportstalk radio in either town you couldn't tell which town you were in IMHO. I think that may be due to proximity and both teams being the type ya either love or hate due to the fanatic fan bases maybe.

I know when the Indians play the Pirates the crowd is pretty equal no matter where they play. It's hard to say if most folks travel or live in the certain town though.

Thanks for Aramis Ramirez.

When I was young, I was an Indians fan. I still can't believe they never won a championship with that lineup. With all due respects to the current Yankees, I'd take that mid-90's Indians lineup over any in my lifetime.

Visquel, Baerga, Thome, Belle, Lofton, Roberto and Sandy Alomar...all in their primes. Great team, and I still consider the Indians to be #2 behind the Cubs.

Thanks for Aramis Ramirez.

When I was young, I was an Indians fan. I still can't believe they never won a championship with that lineup. With all due respects to the current Yankees, I'd take that mid-90's Indians lineup over any in my lifetime.

Visquel, Baerga, Thome, Belle, Lofton, Roberto and Sandy Alomar...all in their primes. Great team, and I still consider the Indians to be #2 behind the Cubs.

Ahhh those were the days! John Hart was in charge back then. I think he's in Texas now, i miss that guy!

I agree, i can't believe that team never won a ring with that much talent, what a shame. I met a young Julian Tavarez at a local bowling alley here some years back and he had an interesting answer as to why they never won it all.

" They didn't let me start enough in the PO's" :lol:

One of the most underrated players in the game today BTW.

It was a shame he was snubbed for the All-star game last year while Strikeout Sammy was voted a starter. If the fans are going to vote like idiots, then they should have no say in the All-star game. Ramirez was easily the best offensive player for the Cubs last year and he improved his defensive game tremendously.

Archived