Jazz move up to number 3 with trade

faba

Updated: June 28, 2005, 4:00 PM ET

Blazers get No. 6, No. 27 and '06 first-rounderBy Andy Katz

ESPN.com

The Utah Jazz and Portland Trail Blazers traded picks Tuesday.

Portland traded the rights to the No. 3 pick to Utah for the rights to the No. 6 and No. 27 picks and the rights to a 2006 first-round pick that the Jazz got from the Detroit Pistons.

All trades had to be in by 2 p.m. ET.

A source said the Jazz would look to draft a point guard at No. 3, deciding between Illinois junior Deron Williams and Wake Forest sophomore Chris Paul.

The Blazers would then possibly draft one of two high school players -- Gerald Green or Martell Webster -- at No. 6.

"Our mission was to make optimum use of the third pick overall," Blazers president Steve Patterson said. "We were able to move down only three spots and gain two additional first-round picks. This trade will allow us to continue doing what we started last year, stockpiling young talent."

Patterson added the team was not necessarily finished talking to other teams about deals.

Utah had the third, 34th and 51st picks entering the draft. The Blazers also had the 35th overall selection.

The Jazz still suck... that and I heard they were looking for a big man, the reasoning behind that is that they need one. Y'know, despite the fact that they bought Okur and Boozer last offseason. But, oddly enough, Okur and Boozer aren't what they thought they were buying. Okur, I've heard, finds his spot on the bench, just like he did while he was here. It's good to know things, while they change, always stay the same. :lol:

The Jazz still suck... that and I heard they were looking for a big man, the reasoning behind that is that they need one. Y'know, despite the fact that they bought Okur and Boozer last offseason. But, oddly enough, Okur and Boozer aren't what they thought they were buying. Okur, I've heard, finds his spot on the bench, just like he did while he was here. It's good to know things, while they change, always stay the same. :lol:

Archived