NY JETS News Articles 12/ 27

Kentucky Jet

LAW: No advice for Revis this week

BY PETER BOTTE

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, December 27th 2007, 4:00 AM

Ty Law and Darrelle Revis - Jet cornerbacks, past and present - are family friends from their hometown of Aliquippa, Pa.

Law and Revis' uncle, former Pro Bowl defensive lineman Sean Gilbert, were high-school teammates, while the town also produced NFL Hall of Famers Mike Ditka and Tony Dorsett.

Law, now with Kansas City, has called the Jets' first-round pick often this season with tips on how to defend receivers such as Terrell Owens and Randy Moss.

But no such advice is forthcoming for Revis' season-ending matchup this week against Chiefs rookie WR Dwayne Bowe.

"Nah, I don't think that's happening - but if he wants to, that'd be great," said Revis, who also wears Law's No. 24. "Ty's been a family friend for a long time. He's always been there for me. ... I'll be watching him when he goes against our offense."

Law, too, has been watching Revis, saying, "I've known Darrelle all his life ... and he can do it all. I think you're looking at an All-Pro someday."

KICKED OUT? Every job is up for evaluation on a 3-12 team, and punter is no different. Ben Graham has four years to go on his contract, but the former Australian Rules Football star was deactivated against Tennessee last week in favor of practice-squad rookie Jeremy Kapinos.

"I think Ben's working to improve on becoming more consistent, and I appreciate that. ... But the consistency needs to improve. Ben knows that," Eric Mangini said. "But with Jeremy doing as well as he's done, it was time for him to get a chance."

Graham, whose 36.4-yard net punting average represents a career low in three NFL seasons, was informed he wasn't starting last Sunday morning by special-teams coach Mike Westhoff, who added the Jets were "looking at (Kapinos) for next year."

"A jolt? It was like a rocket," Graham said when asked if he was surprised by the move. "Obviously, you prepare all week to play and when you're told Sunday morning you're not, it's surprising. But we're all in this together.

"It's a team sport and if I start getting selfish and worrying about my situation, then I'm not really being a team player."

Kapinos, a rookie out of Penn State, averaged 41.6 yards on five punts, including two inside the 20-yard line, in his NFL debut. He also replaced Graham as the holder for placekicker Mike Nugent.

HOG HEAVEN: Improving third-year DT Sione Pouha, who missed all of last season following ACL surgery, has earned regular reps in the interior defensive-line rotation in recent weeks, including a career-high eight tackles Sunday vs. Tennessee.

The 315-pound Pouha enjoyed having an 80-pound hog catered for his family's Christmas dinner.

"That's 75 pounds for me and they can have the rest," Pouha said. "Anything you're good at, you like, and I'm good at eating, so I do it. I'm not really good at long distance running, so that's why I don't run in the Olympics. I enjoy things that I understand."

Kellen Clemens likely to start for Jets

BY PETER BOTTE

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, December 27th 2007, 4:00 AM

Savoia/AP

Kellen Clemens was injured early in the loss to the Patriots, but now appears ready to return.

Kellen Clemens blew on his hand, took a shotgun snap from a ball boy, and heaved a perfect 40-yard strike that landed in Justin McCareins' lap for a post-pattern touchdown.

It didn't matter that there was no one guarding McCareins on this play - and no one rushing the quarterback to get up in Clemens' grill.

What mattered is that Clemens' injured ribs and shoulder appear to be improving to the point that he is still hoping to start in the season finale Sunday against Kansas City, possibly signaling the official end of Chad Pennington's days under center in green and white.

"Well, I love playing. So whether we're 3-12 or 12-3, it doesn't matter if I played a half-year, the whole year or none. I love to play and I'm going to do everything I can to hopefully get healthy enough to play again this Sunday," Clemens said after practice at Hofstra on Wednesday. "I've been trying to get as much treatment as I can and trying to get as healthy as I can. I'm improving and I think heading in the right direction."

Pennington relieved Clemens during the 20-10 loss to New England after Clemens' ribs were hurt while he threw an interception that was returned for a touchdown on the Jets' second play from scrimmage. Pennington started last Sunday against Tennessee, and despite facing heavy pressure behind a revamped offensive line, the veteran signal caller completed 26 of 32 passes. He went 51-for-70 (72.9%) the past two weeks, though the Jets lost both games.

Still, Eric Mangini and the Jets likely would like one more extended look at Clemens, who has thrown four touchdowns and 10 interceptions this season, before deciding if the 2006 second-round pick is their franchise quarterback.

"It's tough, but I think Chad Pennington is a guy that understands what this league's about, he understands that a lot can change about how you want to do things, and that's what makes Chad who he is," former Jets coach and current Chiefs coach Herm Edwards said on a conference call. "He's a pro, a team player, and he understands that.

"He's been a good player there for a lot of years. He stepped in when the other quarterback got hurt and tried to continue to do what he does well, which is to play quarterback."

The Chiefs are facing a similar QB decision as they play out the string at 4-11. Young starter Brodie Croyle is nursing a hand injury and might need to be replaced Sunday by veteran starter-turned-backup Damon Huard.

Because of Edwards' affection for Pennington, Kansas City is considered a potential landing spot if the Jets decide to cut ties with their displaced starter.

"Chad sat behind Vinny (Testaverde), he understood that eventually he was going to take Vinny's place ... and now they feel like they have a young quarterback in the wings that they want to see play, and Chad's good about that," Edwards said. "The little I've watched, they're a little different offense than they were in the past, but Chad still can make throws, is a good decision-maker, and is still a good quarterback.

"How he fits for them, I don't know."

Edwards also reiterated what he told the Daily News earlier this week, regarding his split with the Jets two years ago and the perception that he wasn't appreciated despite reaching the playoffs in three of his five seasons in New York.

"No one really knows what happened, because I wouldn't talk about it and the Jets haven't talked about it, which is the right thing to do," Edwards said. "I just think there's always going to be perception, and the reality is I know the truth. That's all that matters. I know what happened and can live with that.

"It's always disappointing when things don't end the way you like, but sometimes in life that happens and you deal with it. Both organizations have dealt with it in a fine way.

"This year both teams are struggling and some work needs to be done.

"But I'm very pleased with the way we did things there. We did some things right, and did some things wrong. ... In the end, we didn't get the ring, but we did everything we could to get there."

Don't ask Edwards why he left Jets; he won't tell

BY TOM ROCK | tom.rock@newsday.com

December 27, 2007

Chiefs coach Herm Edwards said no one knows the full story of his departure from the Jets. But he's not going to be the one to tell it.

"There were a lot of stories written without getting all the information," said Edwards on yesterday's conference call previewing Sunday's game against the Jets. "Obviously, you don't know what really happened. I wouldn't talk about it and the Jets haven't talked about it, which was the right thing to do because it was an in-house situation where both parties understood where it was going."

What eventually happened was Edwards landed in Kansas City, Eric Mangini was hired by the Jets, and both teams made the playoffs last season. This year, not so much.

Edwards said he has spoken to Jets owner Woody Johnson since the fallout - "We're fine," Edwards said - and that he's happy with where he is both physically and mentally.

"At the end, it took a turn, and that's OK," he said of his relationship with the Jets after coaching the team for five seasons. "You never worry about that because there's going to be perception out there and the reality is I know the truth. That's all that matters. I know the truth and I know what happened and I can live with that."

As for Chad Pennington, the player to whom he was perhaps closest, the player to whom he gave a first big break, Edwards said it's difficult to see him go through a season in which he has been benched. But, Edwards still thinks Pennington can be a starter in the league, especially after watching him on film the last two weeks.

"He can still make throws and he's a good decision-maker," Edwards said. "He's still a good quarterback. How he fits for them, I don't know. They have their own philosophy on how they want to do things."

Punting challenge

The Jets signed Jeremy Kapinos to the practice squad about a month ago, but punter Ben Graham still insists that being inactive on Sunday in favor of the rookie was a surprise. "It was like a rocket, it wasn't a jolt," he said of the news, which was delivered to him on Sunday morning by special teams coordinator Mike Westhoff."Both those guys are very serious about what they do, but the consistency needs to improve," Jets coach Eric Mangini said. "Ben knows that and is working at that and with Jeremy doing as well as he's done, it was time for him to get a chance."

Jet streams

Asked what Mangini was like as an assistant in New England, Chiefs CB Ty Law said he was "like a Mini-Me" to Bill Belichick. That makes Belichick Dr. Evil, right? ... The Jets' list of 2008 opponents has been solidified. In addition to the six home-and-home division games, they will play at Oakland, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle and Tennessee. They'll also host Denver, Kansas City, Arizona, St. Louis and Cincinnati ... LB Jason Trusnik (foot) was placed on IR.

Revis has success following rules of Law

BY TOM ROCK | tom.rock@newsday.com

December 27, 2007

Ty Law was impressed by the aggressiveness and athletic ability of Darrelle Revis right away. And he hadn't yet seen him on a football field.

The first time Law saw Revis play anything, it was basketball. That's the sport, it turns out, that the football products of tradition-laden Aliquippa, Pa., use to judge each other. In the hometown of Mike Ditka, Tony Dorsett, Sean Gilbert and, more recently, Law and Revis, people are too busy playing football to watch others play football. Hoops is the way to measure each other.

"A lot of it starts on the basketball court because that is where we get to compete against each other in a different way," Law said. "Being that everyone is off playing football, once you get to the pros you don't get the opportunity to see each other. But during the offseason everyone is back at home, working out, running and playing basketball."

Well, Aliquippa is also the home of Pistol Pete Maravich.

But on Sunday, the Pittsburgh suburb might as well be renamed Cornerback U.S.A. with both the Chiefs' Law and Revis, the Jets rookie, playing on the same NFL field.

Law, who has been in the league for 13 years and was good friends with Gilbert, Revis' uncle, said he expects great things from Revis.

"He's an all-around corner," Law said. "You can't label him as a 'cover guy' or a 'tackler.' He can do it all. As he gets more mature in the game and as he learns to pick up on some little nuances throughout, you are looking at an All-Pro."

To that end, Law has spent the season peppering Revis with little voice-mail tidbits, advice he's picked up throughout his career on covering the likes of Randy Moss or Terrell Owens. Law wouldn't divulge the content of those tips - "I won't give up my secrets," he said, "I'm still playing!" - but Revis said they worked well. Revis has had some of his best games against some of the biggest-named opponents he has faced this season. His physical attack almost shut down Owens in a Thanksgiving Day game against the Cowboys in which nearly everything else went wrong for the Jets.

"Some tricks and stuff," was all Revis would say of Law's advice. "He has always been a friend and told me to work hard. He invited me in college to work out with him in St. Louis. He's always been there."

Both Revis and Law share the ability (or bloodlust) to tangle with receivers. They don't shy away from contact - there is, of course, a Ty Law Rule that limits contact between corners and receivers - and Law said he thinks that comes from their similar upbringing.

"That's something that you can't teach," Law said. "It was probably bred into us from our hometown."

As for the Aliquippa hierarchy, the names Ditka and Dorsett still are at the top of the heap. But Law seemed to think there is room for a few more in the western Pennsylvania pantheon.

"Hopefully we can have that debate because I plan on playing a little longer and Darrelle has a whole career ahead of him," Law said. "We'll see."

Sunday

Chiefs at Jets

4:15 p.m.

TV: Ch. 2

Radio: WEPN (1050)

Punting latest Jets question mark

By DENNIS WASNAK JR.

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

(Original publication: December 27, 2007)

HEMPSTEAD - This is what it's come down to heading into the last game of a disappointing season: The Jets have a punter controversy.

With Ben Graham struggling in recent weeks, the Jets activated rookie Jeremy Kapinos from the practice squad last Saturday and played him against Tennessee.

"The consistency needs to improve, and Ben knows that and is working at that," coach Eric Mangini said yesterday, adding he would see who has the better week of practice before deciding who plays against Kansas City. "With Jeremy doing as well as he's done, it was time for him to get a chance."

Mangini remained undecided on his quarterback with Kellen Clemens still recovering from a rib injury, the coach has made it clear that punter can be added to the team's list of uncertainties.

The left-footed Graham, whose 36.4 net average has him tied for 18th in the league, was clearly bothered by the benching. Special-teams coach Mike Westhoff told Graham the news a few hours before the game, and the punter was asked if it jolted him.

"A jolt? It was like a rocket," Graham said in his warm Australian accent. "It wasn't a jolt." When asked what he was told specifically, Graham said: "Ummm, you're not playing. We're going with Jeremy."

Graham, the former Australian Football League star in his third season with the Jets, came into the year with a 37.9 net average, but hasn't been as effective as in his first two seasons. He also had a kick blocked deep in Jets' territory at New England that led to an easy score for the Patriots.

"It was surprising," said Graham, who has been sharing practice time with Kapinos the last few weeks.

"I can only go on what they told me, and that hasn't really been a lot, other than, 'We're looking at him for next year,' " Graham said.

Kapinos, a finalist last year at Penn State for the Ray Guy Award given to the nation's top punter, spent training camp with the Jets before being cut a week before the regular season. He was signed to the practice squad Nov. 27.

Kapinos averaged 41.6 yards - but only a 36.4 net - in his five kicks against the Titans. He blasted his first punt 43 yards into the end zone on the Jets' first possession.

Jets' Clemens likely to start

Quarterback's health is improving

Thursday, December 27, 2007

BY JENNY VRENTAS

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Though no official announcement was made about the Jets' quarterback situation yesterday, it is expected that Kellen Clemens will start the season finale against the Chiefs Sunday, barring any setbacks.

Neither Clemens nor Jets coach Eric Mangini gave a definitive answer -- Mangini said he won't know until Sunday -- but Clemens said he has "made some strides healthwise," three days after he was healthy enough to be the team's No. 2 option against Tennessee.

Clemens was injured on the Jets' first play against the Patriots on Dec. 16, but since he took over the starting job in Week 9, Mangini has maintained that Clemens is the No. 1 quarterback and will play if he is healthy.

"I've been improving," said Clemens, who was limited in practice yesterday. "I'm just continuing to get treatment, and I'm doing my best to play, at least to be ready to play."

Former starter Chad Pennington has taken over since Clemens' left shoulder was driven into the turf when he was sacked by New England's Richard Seymour. The team has said Clemens' ribs were injured on the play.

In last Wednesday's practice, Clemens, 2-5 as a starter, was barely able to throw the football and favored his left shoulder. But yesterday, he seemed to be fully mobile and engaged in all the team's passing drills during the 30 minutes of practice open to the media.

Several times this season, veteran cornerback Ty Law of Kansas City has left Jets rookie Darrelle Revis a voice-mail tutorial on defending the NFL's primo receivers. The hometown friends plan to chat this week, too, but Revis isn't expecting any pointers: On Sunday, Revis will compete against his mentor for the first time.

"It's going to be fun," Revis said yesterday. "I always watch him and see him; now I'm actually going to be on the field with him, too."

Revis and Law, a former Jet, both grew up in Aliquippa, Pa., a small town northwest of Pittsburgh. Law is more than a decade older than Revis but grew up playing sports with Revis' uncle, Sean Gilbert, a former professional defensive lineman.

They are among the professional athlete fraternity of Aliquippa, including Mike Ditka and Tony Dorsett, and are both known for their physical play. Revis has an impressive 82 tackles, 16 pass deflections and three interceptions in his first pro season.

"I think it was bred in both of us from our hometown," said Law, a five-time Pro Bowler. "As he gets more mature in the game, and as he learns to pick on nuances throughout, you're looking at an All-Pro."

Mangini said the decision to use punter Jeremy Kapinos against the Titans instead of Ben Graham was based on Graham's up-and-down season.

"The consistency needs to improve, and Ben knows that and is working at that," Mangini said. "With Jeremy doing as well as he's done, it was time for him to get a chance."

Third-year nose tackle Sione Pouha, who made his first start in Week 14, had a career-high eight solo tackles against the Titans. Pouha missed last season after tearing his ACL in training camp and said it wasn't until after the bye week this year that he understood how he fit into the Jets' 3-4 defense.

"It comes in segments," Pouha said. "(Earlier this year), I was more of a one step, two step kind of a guy. I think later in the season, after the bye week, I've become more of an instinctive player."

The Jets placed linebacker Jason Trusnik on injured reserve yesterday with a foot injury. The rookie played in six games this season, with six tackles on special teams. The Jets also signed OL Wayne Hunter, a fifth-year pro, to their practice squad.

Jenny Vrentas may be reached

at jvrentas@starledger.com

Jets place LB Trusnik on IR; sign OL Hunter to practice squad

Dec 26, 2007

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (AP) -The New York Jets placed linebacker Jason Trusnik on injured reserve Wednesday, and signed offensive lineman Wayne Hunter to the practice squad.

Trusnik suffered an unspecified injury during the Jets' loss at Tennessee on Sunday. He had six special-teams tackles in six games after being signed from the practice squad on Nov. 16.

Hunter, in his fifth NFL season, has appeared in three games, one with Jacksonville in 2006 and two with Seattle in 2004 and '05. He was a third-round pick of the Seahawks in 2003.

RETURN OF HERM

ROUGH RECEPTION LIKELY AWAITS FORMER JETS COACH

By MARK CANNIZZARO

HEEE'S BAAAACK! Kansas City coach Herm Edwards returns to face the Jets, his former team, this Sunday. After a 4-3 start, Edwards' Chiefs have lost eight in a row and are 4-11.

December 27, 2007 -- There's probably more curiosity about the reception Herman Edwards will receive from whatever fans bother to show up at Giants Stadium Sunday to see his Chiefs play the Jets, his former team, than there is about the game itself.

Jets versus Chiefs in the final week of the regular season, and both teams combining for a 7-22 record, isn't exactly an attractive matchup.

The likely reception Edwards and the 3-12 Jets will receive is this: There'll be plenty of booing to go around.

The majority of fans who will be at Giants Stadium, braving a potentially bad football game between two offensively challenged teams in what's expected to be sloppy weather, will surely be there to vent their frustrations.

Though Edwards brought the Jets to the playoffs three times (more than any coach in franchise history), there's a large contingent of Jets fans who rank Edwards on the same plane of disdain as Rich Kotite in Jets coaching history.

So you can expect a good dousing of boos to come his way. The catcalls will add insult to Edwards, because his Chiefs have lost their last eight games after a 4-3 start.

Asked yesterday if he's excited to return to Giants Stadium to face his former team, Edwards said: "I don't know about excited, but it's the last stop of our season. It's been tough."

Edwards said the acrimonious breakup with the Jets after the 2005 season was disappointing.

Edwards said since his departure he has talked with Jets owner Woody Johnson, who was furious about him wanting a contract extension and leaking that to the media.

"I've spoken to him," Edwards said. "We're fine."

Edwards said his memories of his Jets experience are positive.

"I'm an optimistic guy," he said. "I'm very pleased with the way we did some things there. We didn't do everything right and we didn't do everything wrong. We had fun and won some. We played in some playoff games and won a couple, but didn't get the ring. That's the shame of it."

There are still a number of Jets players on the current roster who played for Edwards and their feeling about him is universally positive.

"It won't be that strange [to see Edwards], it'll be fun," Jets receiver Justin McCareins said. "A lot of players feel close to him. He's done a lot for this team."

McCareins said he hopes Edwards gets a good reaction from the crowd.

"He's done a lot for a lot of players on this team and this organization," McCareins said.

"Anyone you hear talking about him, players or coaches, have positive things to say about him. We know what type of coach and example he is for this league."

Safety Kerry Rhodes, who played one season under Edwards, said: "A lot of players liked him, and I liked him as well. It's going to be fun."

One player Edwards has a soft spot for is Chad Pennington, who next season possibly could reunite with his old coach in Kansas City, where the Chiefs have had their share of quarterback troubles.

Edwards said it was tough to see Pennington benched, but that he is the consummate pro.

"I think Chad is a guy who understands what this is about, that philosophies change and [coaches] want to do things in a different way," Edwards said. "He understands the whole deal."

Edwards said he thinks Pennington can still start on an NFL team.

"[From] the little bit I've watched - and it's a little different offense than in the past - he can still make the throws," Edwards said. "He's a good decision maker and still a good quarterback."

mark.cannizzaro@nypost.com

GRAHAM STUNNED BY LATE BENCHING

By MARK CANNIZZARO

December 27, 2007 -- Ben Graham went to LP Field Sunday fully expecting to punt for the Jets against the Titans, something he has been doing for the last three seasons.

That's when, according to Graham, special teams coach Mike Westhoff told him: "You're not playing. We're going with Jeremy," referring to rookie Jeremy Kapinos.

Asked yesterday if the news was a jolt to him Graham said: "A jolt? It was like a rocket, not a jolt."

Graham, who had never been benched in his athletic career, which includes years of Australian Rules Football, seemed bewildered by the team's lack of communication.

"This is a first time for me, a new experience," Graham said. "Obviously it's a different game [in the NFL] and they go through things differently the way they coach and communicate, but I know I haven't performed up to my expectations. I just have to deal with it and prepare to play on the weekend."

Graham is ranked 17th in the NFL with a 43.0-yard gross average and 19th in net at 36.4 yards.

Graham averaged a 43.7-yard gross and 37.9-yard net in his first year, and last season he averaged 44.2 and 37.8.

Two games ago, he had a key punt blocked in New England that led to a Patriots touchdown. It was clear on replay that Jets safety Abram Elam whiffed on a block that led to the blocked punt.

Does Graham feel that blocked punt was a reason behind his benching?

"I'm not sure, you've got to ask the coaches," he said. "I've not been told much about anything other I wasn't playing Sunday morning."

Jets coach Eric Mangini, who is looking for more consistcney from Graham, said Kapinos had been performing well in practice and "it was time for him to get a chance." Mangini declined to say who will punt against the Chiefs, but Graham appeared to be taking first reps in practice.

"I understand we've struggled as a team throughout the year so I know they're looking at a lot of positions and mine is no different," Graham said. "I've still got four years to go on the contract, so it's day-by-day for me right now. I'm preparing to play."

Kellen Clemens, as expected, was taking reps with the first team early in practice. Barring a significant setback, he will start, meaning Chad Pennington may have played his last down as a Jet.

The Jets placed linebacker Jason Trusnik on injured reserve, and signed offensive lineman Wayne Hunter to the practice squad.

Trusnik suffered an unspecified injury during the Jets' 10-6 loss at Tennessee Sunday.

Hunter, in his fifth NFL season, has appeared in three games, one with Jacksonville in 2006 and two with Seattle in 2004 and '05.

Chiefs CB Ty Law, who played with the Patriots when Mangini was a defensive backs coach, was asked about his recollections of Mangini.

"He was with Bill Belichick for so long and the same intangibles Bill had you could see in Eric," Law said. "He was like a 'Mini-Me' somewhat. We used to joke about it."

Chiefs CB Ty Law, who played with the Patriots when Mangini was a defensive backs coach, was asked about his recollections of Mangini.

"He was with Bill Belichick for so long and the same intangibles Bill had you could see in Eric," Law said. "He was like a 'Mini-Me' somewhat. We used to joke about it."

He's a wannabe, but without the football genius.

Archived