Looking at the sideline...

StraightCash

Watch the Rose bowl with Illinois, and now watching the Orange bowl.. I've started to notice that a lot of college teams atleast, on offense, all look at the sideline at the same time before every play. What are they looking at, and why? And how do they all know to look at the sideline at the exact same time?

The QB doesn't have a radio headset in NCAA. Either the play is being signaled in(as was donw in the NFL for half a century before the radio headset) or a sub comes in and gives the play. But usually the OC signals the play to the QB.

Watch the Rose bowl with Illinois, and now watching the Orange bowl.. I've started to notice that a lot of college teams atleast, on offense, all look at the sideline at the same time before every play. What are they looking at, and why? And how do they all know to look at the sideline at the exact same time?

They are doing a freeze..they are checking to see if the OC is going to change the play based on the defense that the other team is in....one system I know of is call a 707 offense... the HS I worked with this year ran one..it was a difficult and very involved system.....they would come out with one play and then have the option of changing...it is a spread and everything is called from the sideline...

Archived