What not to say at the combine

RSJ

This is from PFT.

WHAT NOT TO SAY AT THE COMBINE

On a day when Bucs cornerback Dwight Smith helped us to craft Rule No. 1 of free agency (i.e., don't get arrested on weapons charges within 24 hours of the opening bell), we've heard about an interesting interview that occurred at the Scouting Combine.

Asked why he had decided to come out of school a year early, a player who won't be named told a team we won't disclose that he gave up his remaining eligibility because needed to earn money so that he could support his family.

All together now: Ahhhhhhh.

In response, one of the team employees asked, "So why did you spend $80,000 of your $100,000 line of credit on a brand new Hummer?"

Ouch.

Here's the lesson, kids. Don't try to bullsh-t guys who have waded through far more of it than you could ever throw. They've heard it all before, they've seen it all before, and though it might come as a shock you're really not smarter than any of them.

Jim Mora has a good story about Ryan Leaf.

They were trying to decide between Leaf and Peyton Manning, and alot of Colts personnel people were leaning toward Leaf because of his insane arm strength. So they bring him in for an interview before the draft and they ask him, "What will you do if you're drafted first overall?" Leaf answers, "I'll get my boys and head down to Cancun for two weeks of partying." They ask Manning the same question and he says "I'll ask you for a playbook and start studying." The rest, as they say, is history.

Jim Mora has a good story about Ryan Leaf.

They were trying to decide between Leaf and Peyton Manning, and alot of Colts personnel people were leaning toward Leaf because of his insane arm strength. So they bring him in for an interview before the draft and they ask him, "What will you do if you're drafted first overall?" Leaf answers, "I'll get my boys and head down to Cancun for two weeks of partying." They ask Manning the same question and he says "I'll ask you for a playbook and start studying." The rest, as they say, is history.

That's funny. Pedigree everytime fool.

Maybe I'm wrong then. I remember reading Edwards had bought an expensive car.

My mistake, however, they're still both idiots.

Fabian Washington reportedly left early because of financial problems with his family. Never heard anything about him buying a Hummer though. Maybe he's the guy.

Archived